Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday September 11, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ?

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ?

Have you ever gotten a great deal/bargain on a purchase because it was on clearance-
the last one in the store, a floor model/demo (slightly damaged), or the store was no longer carrying it ?

Extra Credit:
Is there something (such as a condiment, spice, sauce, or garnish) you bring with you
if you go out to eat (whether fast food or fine dining), in case the place is out of that food-related topping ?

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ?
…something punctured ?
…something perforated ?
…something prorated ?

Just for Fun:
Don’t know if it exists/has been invented yet but-
would you want a fridge with a transparent/clear door, so you could see inside without having to open it ?
Or would you like to be able to get a live video feed of the refrigerator interior on your internet device ?

Today in History:
1954: Hurricane Edna’s intense winds cause flooding along coastal New England and in New York City
1961: Hurricane Carla (which later spawns several tornadoes, wreaking havoc across the state) reaches Texas’s Matagorda Island
1967: Birth of singer, pianist, and actor Harry Connick, Jr. (“When Harry Met Sally” soundtrack)
1972: San Francisco’s BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) passenger rail service begins operations
1992: Hurricane Iniki, the most powerful (in recorded history) hurricane to impact Hawaii, makes landfall on the island of Kauai

Today’s Word:
reify /ˈrēəˌfī/ (vb.): Concretize, solidify, make more tangible-use an idea’s conceptual potential to produce real physical action.

Today Is:
National Day of Service and Remembrance
National Hot Cross Bun Day

-this week is-
International Air Ambulance Week
National Truck Driver Appreciation Week
International Housekeepers Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper left & lower right-

Thought for the Day:
“Some of us have to hold a meeting every time we want to do something only slightly difficult, in order to find the self who is capable of undertaking it…
We spend a lot of time on developing ways of organizing the inner crowd, securing consent among it, and arranging for it to act as a whole.”
-Mary Midgley

Wishing all y’all safety and steadfastness, whether braving the elements or sheltering in place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 12:43 AM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ? No but it sounds like fun.

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ? Yes, usually with shoes.

Have you ever gotten a great deal/bargain on a purchase because it was on clearance-
the last one in the store, a floor model/demo (slightly damaged), or the store was no longer carrying it ? Yes, I've gotten some great deals that way.

Extra Credit:
Is there something (such as a condiment, spice, sauce, or garnish) you bring with you
if you go out to eat (whether fast food or fine dining), in case the place is out of that food-related topping ? No, never had that experience at any dining establishment.

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ? An essay.
…something punctured ? Flat tire.
…something perforated ? Toilet paper.
…something prorated ? Portions/rations of food products.

Just for Fun:
would you want a fridge with a transparent/clear door, so you could see inside without having to open it ? No, because the refrigerator doesn't always look neat and organized inside.
Or would you like to be able to get a live video feed of the refrigerator interior on your internet device ? I wouldn't have much use of this unless I was expecting a burglar.

Have a great start to the new week ahead!

Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ?
Never.

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ?
A few times. Differences by manufacturers or within one manufacturer's line.

the last one in the store, a floor model/demo (slightly damaged), or the store was no longer carrying it ?
My first couch was the last one on the floor at a department store.

Extra Credit:
if you go out to eat (whether fast food or fine dining), in case the place is out of that food-related topping ?
Heard of that once. So you're saying it's not just that one person.

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ? Speech.
…something punctured ? Leather stitching.
…something perforated ? Paper bills statements with attached invoice.
…something prorated ? Refund based on partial use of a product.

Just for Fun:
would you want a fridge with a transparent/clear door, so you could see inside without having to open it ?
Kind of sounds good until you imagine it will make the kitchen look messier when you could just open the door.
Or would you like to be able to get a live video feed of the refrigerator interior on your internet device ?
What? Not necessary.

Wishing all y’all safety and steadfastness, whether braving the elements or sheltering in place
Thanks, cloven. Batten down the hatches those who need to and Have a great week everyone!

Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Happy Monday September 11, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ? No

Yes
Extra Credit:
I always have salt

Just for Fun:
Interesting idea but I don't think I would want onr.

Thanks Cloven.. Wishing all well. longneckone

Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Today’s Question:
No, I've never done that.
Yes, I found out recently that I wear a half size larger shoe than I'd always thought. Clothing sizes can be inconsistent, so I may try on one size larger and smaller in addition to the "correct" size, because you never know.
When our new refrigerator was delivered, one of the doors had a small dent in it. The installer said that I could receive a credit rather than get a replacement door. But I wanted the fridge to be perfect, so I opted for the new door.
Extra Credit:
I used to bring packets of Splenda with me when I traveled because I don't like Sweet 'n' Low, Equal or Stevia.
Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated?
Irish surnames (as in O'Brien or O'Flynn).
…something punctured?
A piñata.
…something perforated?
Those subscription cards they put inside magazines.
…something prorated?
Rent or utility bills.

Just for Fun:
would you want a fridge with a transparent/clear door, so you could see inside without having to open it?
No, I'd rather not see all those cartons, jars and bottles. They're not THAT attractive!
That would be the most boring video in history! "Nothing to see here, folks, move along." But hey, what the heck. I'll take it.

Thanks, cloven!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 09-11-2017 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: clarity.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Today’s Question:
No

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ? Yes

Probably.

Extra Credit:
No

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ?
A run on sentence (go comma crazy)
…something punctured ? tire
…something perforated ? ulcer
…something prorated ? taxes

Just for Fun:
Absolutely not.
Or would you like to be able to get a live video feed of the refrigerator interior on your internet device ? No

Old 09-11-2017, 04:33 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ? yes several times in my life. Maybe not always for the reaction - mostly just for us or some other reason - regardless of others reactions

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ? no - I've tried lots of footwear hoping that'd be the case, though

the last one in the store, a floor model/demo (slightly damaged), or the store was no longer carrying it ? oh most def

Extra Credit:
if you go out to eat (whether fast food or fine dining), in case the place is out of that food-related topping ? no

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ? a sentence
…something punctured ? roofing material
…something perforated ? paper
…something prorated ? rent

Just for Fun:
would you want a fridge with a transparent/clear door, so you could see inside without having to open it ? no way - it does exist but maybe not for regular consumers
[/b][/color]id take the live feed - I'd use it in order to write up a grocery list when I'm not home.

Thought for the Day:
“Some of us have to hold a meeting every time we want to do something only slightly difficult, in order to find the self who is capable of undertaking it…
We spend a lot of time on developing ways of organizing the inner crowd, securing consent among it, and arranging for it to act as a whole.”
-Mary Midgley
i used to do this more than I do now

Wishing all y’all safety and steadfastness, whether braving the elements or sheltering in place seconded - and thank you!

Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,848 times
Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ? Not since I was a child and my mother dressed two sisters and me the same.

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ? Sometimes a size smaller or larger than I usually wear.

the last one in the store, a floor model/demo (slightly damaged), or the store was no longer carrying it ? Not that I can think of. Of course, I most often shop at thrift stores.

Extra Credit:
if you go out to eat (whether fast food or fine dining), in case the place is out of that food-related topping ? Don't often go out to eat & have never brought a condiment, etc. with me.

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ? Dialogue
…something punctured ? Your body! Ouch!
…something perforated ? Postage stamps
…something prorated ? Salary

Just for Fun:
would you want a fridge with a transparent/clear door, so you could see inside without having to open it ? No, thanks. Though I do remember telling my daughters to decide what they wanted before opening the door; not to stand with the door open.
Or would you like to be able to get a live video feed of the refrigerator interior on your internet device ? Oh.... people spend more than enough time on devices as it is.

Today’s Word:
reify /ˈrēəˌfī/ (vb.): Concretize, solidify, make more tangible-use an idea’s conceptual potential to produce real physical action.
Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at upper left & lower right-

Thought for the Day:
-Mary Midgley

Stay safe, all!

Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Today’s Question:
- No

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ? - Nope, but I recall a few times when it didn't fit as expected.

- The only thing I can think of is my ottoman. One left from a going out of business sale that by coincidence matched my chair. Sidewalk display that I saw by accident.

Extra Credit:
- Salt and pepper. I don't go to restaurants but I hit food or deli bars sometimes. It saves me from asking when the bins are empty.

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ?
- Help!
…something punctured ? - My food tray when getting it microwaved. The deli at Harris Teeter grocery store sells gourmet meals in the deli case for a very good price. I punch a couple of holes in it using a key to let the steam escape.
…something perforated ? - Balducci's food coupons that get mailed to me.
…something prorated ? - Car / vehicle battery

Just for Fun:
- Not necessary. I buy in small quantities and know what's in there.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 09-11-2017, 06:01 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Bonjour cloven.

Today’s Question:
Have you ever intentionally worn same outfit as someone else (by mutual agreement ahead of time), for the effect it would have on others ? Don't think so.

Have you tried on footwear or clothing that you didn’t expect would fit because the number it was labeled with wasn’t your size, yet the item fit surprisingly well ? It's happened. Size seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Shoes are notorious for this.

Yes. The jumper I've been wearing the last couple of days was on sale in a shop where I normally just window shop as it's so pricey. I was after a warmer weight item and it was on the sale rail and boy did I get it at a good price!

Extra Credit:

I used to bring orange marmalade with me and take it to breakfast at some places in France many years ago. I like the orange version and they seem to go for apricot.

Bonus:
Can you name-
…something punctuated ? My postings!
…something punctured ? Tyres- that's how we spell it!
…something perforated ? Clingfilm
…something prorated ? Energy bill payments

Just for Fun:

I don't think so.

No thanks!

Merci bien cloven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics