Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,810 times

Advertisements

Evenin' all!

Today's Question(s):
A.) Are you artistic, or any kind of creative? If so, what art or craft do you create? Is there someone who inspires you, and/or you emulate or wish you could?
I draw, mostly in pencil. I admire the delicate works of Da Vinci.

B.) If not, is there an artist or style of art you appreciate? If so, what about them captures your attention?

Bonus Question(s):
Do you own any art by anyone, famous or not? Yes, it can be a reproduction. If so, what is it, or what does it look like?
I have several pieces of art by friends who are artists, a few pieces I have picked up at the local art fair. And I have a portrait my father painted of my mother in profile, as Nefertiti.

Just for fun:
Have you ever:
put your foot/hand print in a new sidewalk? I have not.
contributed to an intentional “graffiti wall?” I have. A couple of local bars had graffiti walls where people were encouraged to write or draw something.
made your own graffiti in a non-designated space? I have. The college I attended used to have booths enclosed on three sides, which made it very easy to write on the walls without being seen.
Where have you left your mark, and what mark did you leave (now, now, now…be nice )? I remember as a teenager writing me and my then boyfriend's initials on every wooden post at the mini golf course. He's long since disappeared. And so has the mini golf course.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1979 "Beatlemania" opens in London
Birthday: 1800 Henry Taylor, English dramatist (d. 1886-03-27)
Science/Technology: 2013 NASA discovers Asteroid 2013 TV135, which has a 1 in 63,000 chance of colliding with the earth in 2032
Sports: 1992 1st non-U.S. team to win a World Series Game; Toronto 5, Atlanta 4

Today's Word:
chiaroscuro
Pronunciation: (kee-ahr-uh-skyoo r-oh)
Origin: 1680-90; < Italian, equivalent to chiaro bright (< Latin clārus) + oscuro dark (< Latin obscūrus).
Meaning: noun
1. the distribution of light and shade in a picture.
2. Painting. the use of deep variations in and subtle gradations of light and shade, especially to enhance the delineation of character and for general dramatic effect:
Rembrandt is a master of chiaroscuro.
3. a woodcut print in which the colors are produced by the use of different blocks with different colors.
4. a sketch in light and shade.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaro...h_Century).png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaro...pelaarster.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiaro...yn_evening.jpg

Today Is:
Chocolate Cupcake Day
Global Dignity Day
Hagfish Day
No Beard Day

Quote of the Day:
"No siren did ever so charm the ear of the listener as the listening ear has charmed the soul of the siren.” ~ Henry Taylor ~

Thanx again for playing everyone.
Enjoy whatever time it is where you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Mornin' all!

I’ve been feeling creative lately, so today's theme is "art."

Today's Question(s):
A.) Are you artistic, or any kind of creative? I'm pretty good at crafts but am terrible at drawing. If so, what art or craft do you create? One of my best crafts is origami, though I haven't done much of it in recent years. I have folded some very intricate origami figures from a single sheet of paper, including a bull with horns, Whistler's Mother in a rocking chair and many intricate fish. It's been many years since I folded something that difficult, though. Is there someone who inspires you, and/or you emulate or wish you could? I wish I could draw as my father did, or my sister. My dad was a wonderful artist who could draw or paint any subject. My sister is pretty good at it, too. I'm pretty bad at it.

B.) If not, is there an artist or style of art you appreciate? I like lots of styles and artists. Going to the Art Institute of Chicago is one of my favorite things to do in the city. If so, what about them captures your attention? I love art from the ancient Orient, like most modern art, love classical sculpture and realist art, love Rembrandt's use of light in his paintings; all those and so much more.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you own any art by anyone, famous or not? Yes, it can be a reproduction. If so, what is it, or what does it look like? I have a signed lithograph by Peter Max that is totally cool and a signed lithograph by Bernard Buffet which is pretty neat, too. I have a beautiful landscape that my dad painted for me a couple of years before he died. I have a lovely still life painted by my late aunt who was a professional artist. I have A watercolor of lavender flowers given to me by a renowned local artist who saw me admiring it in her studio. This was decades ago and she knew I could not afford to buy it. She took it from the wall, wrote a lovely note on the back and gave it to me. I also have some other paintings by local artists who are not well-known. Oh, and I also have a really cool stone sculpture of a fish that sits on my bathroom floor. I purchased the sculpture about 25 years ago at a local art fair.

Just for fun:
Have you ever:
put your foot/hand print in a new sidewalk? No, but there are several sidewalks in my neighborhood that have handprints and dates impressed in them. They always make me smile. I imagine the people coming back years later and seeing their handprints and dates.
contributed to an intentional “graffiti wall?” No, but it sounds fun!
made your own graffiti in a non-designated space? Nope.
Where have you left your mark, and what mark did you leave (now, now, now…be nice )? In the house I grew up in, in Gary Indiana, my dad was about to install paneling on a living room wall. Just before he did so, he let my siblings and me draw on the wall and put our names and the date. I wonder whether our writings are still there or if someone uncovered them somewhere along the line and saw what we had drawn.

Today's Word:
chiaroscuro
Pronunciation: (kee-ahr-uh-skyoo r-oh)
Origin: 1680-90; < Italian, equivalent to chiaro bright (< Latin clārus) + oscuro dark (< Latin obscūrus).
Meaning: noun
1. the distribution of light and shade in a picture.
2. Painting. the use of deep variations in and subtle gradations of light and shade, especially to enhance the delineation of character and for general dramatic effect:
Rembrandt is a master of chiaroscuro.
3. a woodcut print in which the colors are produced by the use of different blocks with different colors.
4. a sketch in light and shade.

Today Is:
Chocolate Cupcake Day
Global Dignity Day
Hagfish Day
No Beard Day

Quote of the Day:
"No siren did ever so charm the ear of the listener as the listening ear has charmed the soul of the siren.” ~ Henry Taylor ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone.
Have a great day! It's been fun reminiscing and sharing! Happy hump day, rather late.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM

12,282 posts, read 2,968,089 times
Today's Question(s):
A.) Are you artistic, or any kind of creative? If so, what art or craft do you create? Is there someone who inspires you, and/or you emulate or wish you could?
I am really good at hand sewing, but I don't care for it.

B.) If not, is there an artist or style of art you appreciate? If so, what about them captures your attention?
I love impressionistic paintings, the soft colors and textures. The more feminine the better.

Bonus Question(s):
Do you own any art by anyone, famous or not? Yes, it can be a reproduction. If so, what is it, or what does it look like?
No one famous, just the old I know what i like. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics