Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times

Advertisements

~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago?

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'?

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be:

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural?

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away?

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life?

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.?

*** Good Fryday to you! The Fill-Ins today were inspired by my anger at some of the ignorance in the Gardening Forum thread about the toxic chemical known as 'Round Up'. ***

~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: Polar Bear due to climate change

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? I haven't seen a fox for several years & used to see several every summer.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? Personally, I like both. If you garden and have a weed spreading in the garden, then I suppose you might consider it a weed. I love Queen Anne's Lace & it's a weed.

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: Animals killed for their fur

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? The hedges at St. Gaudens are trimmed and are somewhere around ten feet tall, I believe. They are beautiful.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? I rake the leaves around my house and take them up to the woods, not thrown away. Pretty common in our area.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? Not that I can think of

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? Enjoy the quiet, take pictures. We have a "woods classroom" in back of the school. Sometimes kids go to sit quietly and write.

*** Good Fryday to you! The Fill-Ins today were inspired by my anger at some of the ignorance in the Gardening Forum thread about the toxic chemical known as 'Round Up'. *** Thanks, roosty.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:17 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:
Elephants

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago?
Bird of Paradise.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'?
Weeds are invasive, flowering plants can be contained.

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be:
Legally, I'm ok with it.

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural?
No I love the more natural look, can't stand square hedges

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away?
Our trillion leaves get mowed, blowed moved to the forest.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? No

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? Taking pictures, hiking

*** Good Fryday to you! The Fill-Ins today were inspired by my anger at some of the ignorance in the Gardening Forum thread about the toxic chemical known as 'Round Up'. ***

Old 10-20-2017, 06:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: Asian elephants

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? ex-husband

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? Prejudice against the weed. "Hey honey, I'm home with a bouquet of weeds for you."

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: Any animal in a place with a "REFUGE" in its title. What part of the word "REFUGE" suggests allowing seasonal hunting?

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? No opinion

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? Haven't turned here, yet.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? No

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? wildlife photography

Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:..............Bees

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago?...............I don't see many wild rabbits. They were everywhere when I was a kid.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'?..................Nothing much. People love flowers but hate weeds. There are some beautiful weeds.

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be:.............I dislike hunting. However I see the damage that's done by having too many deer and wild turkeys in our area.

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural?...............Somewhere in the middle.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away?..................Nature does my raking here in the country.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? ............Sadly there are many areas like that around here including our fields.

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.?...............Sit back and watch nature at its best.

~

Old 10-20-2017, 06:43 AM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:Rhinoceros,Polar bears,African/Asian elephants,Bengali tigers,Dolphins,certain type of whales,Orangutans,Jaguars,Gorillas,Mustangs and so many more

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? when small I used to see many foxes .The last fox I saw was many years ago

I love any type of plant even if it is weed .There are beautiful ones here and butterflies and bees are attracted to them such as wild mustard,Dame's rocket,Tufted vetch,St.John's wort,purple loosestrife,Canada goldenrod,Plumeless thistle,Dandelion,Heath aster,Hawkweed and many more ....

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: No ANY animal should ever be killed for sport or as a trophy or for food .....exotic animals are being hunted for ivory tusks and inner organs ............I cannot comment more on this subject because I will get more and more upset and angry............. they are Gods creatures and need our protection

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? Natural all the way

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? Yes.I leave mine on the ground til they turn brown or the wind blows them away

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? I don't need to look far. Whenever builders claim land for new houses they destroy automatically wildlife habitat. No wonder we have so many rabbits now,raccoons and skunks are daily in my garden. Their homes are getting smaller and smaller......another subject that is sad to think about

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.?
Enjoying nature quietly while hiking/walking,take binoculars with you but ALWAYS clean up after you. Never leave trash behind or pick up any wildlife or plant.

Thank you roosty for the eyeopener. I wish you ALL a very pleasant weekend

Old 10-20-2017, 07:10 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: Black rhinos

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? Not as many frogs.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? Weeds can grow and grow all over the place.

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: ANY animal that is killed just for the heck of it or killed for so called aphrodisiacs and other things really makes me angry!

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? Can I say a little of both?

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? Not yet.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? Not off the top of my head.

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? Walk around, take in the sights and sounds while picture taking.

~
Happy Friday, everyone!

Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: Bengali tigers. Polar bears. DoDo birds.

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? When I was a kid there were these tiny four pedaled flowers all over the place that we used to eat.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? At my house weeds grow better than flowers

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: elephants, lions, giraffes.

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? I think manicured hedges are beautiful.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? Yes, everywhere I look now.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? No. But I live by our state park and people from all over come there and throw their garbage around, graffiti the natural rocks, get high or drink and fall off the trails and get hurt or die.

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? Hike.

~[/quote]

Old 10-20-2017, 07:21 AM

44,357 posts, read 20,063,008 times
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans: 30 years ago I would have said bison, but they seem to be doing much better now. I believe the whooping crane is still endangered and I suspect humans have something to do with that.

~ What is a living creature or plant that you don't see anymore but you used to see long, long ago? Tadpoles. I haven't seen a tadpole in the wild since I was a kid. I know they're out there; I'm just not in the right place at the right time to see them.

~ What, if any, difference is there between a growing flowering plant and a 'weed'? I depends on how you look at it. By definition, a weed is a plant that you don't want among your other plants. However, many plants classified as weed are quite beautiful. And actually, ever plant it beautiful in its own right. Still, I don't want thistles or poison ivy growing in the middle of my yard!

~ An animal that is hunted and killed by humans but you think it should not be: Elephants.

~ Do flat-topped, squared off hedges look beautiful to you or would you rather they look more natural? I like shrubs in a more natural shape. The flat-topped ones look dumb. I do trim a few shrubs which are at the side of my house so that they don't block my windows.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? Yes, I've seen people raking leaves this fall.

~ Do you know of a specific wildlife habitat that humans go to so they can tear it up with things such as ATVs, oversized pickup trucks, etc....for their own amusement...destroying that land/water and therefore doing great harm to the animals and plant life? Hmmm. I can't think of a particular place where this happens. I'm sure such places are out there; I just don't know of any specific ones.

~ What are some good things to do while visiting a forest or sanctuary or swamp, etc.? I love to walk in a forest and listen to the birds and other critters, to the crunch of leaves as animals scamper through them, to the sound of the wind in the trees and running water if there's a creek running through it. It's one of my favorite things in the world to do.

*** Good Fryday to you! The Fill-Ins today were inspired by my anger at some of the ignorance in the Gardening Forum thread about the toxic chemical known as 'Round Up'. *** Sorry to hear you're angry, roosty. Hope you have a good Fryday anyway. And happy Fryday to everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:31 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
~ Any once living creature that is endangered, threatened or extinct because of humans:There are so many both "wild" and what used to live right in our area.

wild blueberries

The difference is in the eye of the beholder

I feel each has it's place.

~ Have you seen anyone raking up all those beautiful, colorful leaves this time of year...so they can throw them away? Not yet.

Basicly unwind and get some healthy exercise.

looks like somebody really got you upset

~
Thanks have a great day rainroosty and all;
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics