Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM

167 posts, read 258,424 times

Advertisements

I always thought my name was pretty boring....Lisa. I have some friends that started calling me Lissa, sorta like Melissa with out the Ma. That has stuck with some of my friends and isn't so boring to me. My Dad has always called my Lis and that's ok too. I wouldn't change it, just because it's who I am. The only other nickname I've had is shortie. I don't like that so much. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
cinderobyn, a little in common here. My Dad's oldest sister named me after Jerome Kern's operetta 'Roberta'. Middle name is both my Mom's and my paternal grandmother's name. I wanted to be called Robyn when I was in 5th grade, but it never 'took'. So I've always been a Bobbi. Not very professional sounding in my business, but that name is what every one calls me. Small town. Oh, and my hubby's name is Robert. Yep, Bob and Bobbi.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Yep, you might as well answer to all the "airy's". In some cases I have to add the 2 r's and an i after I have repeated Terri, with a "T". I won't even go there with my last name... it is short, but funny and I usually have to clarify it as well... people will say, "really??" like I am making it up or something.
LOL, I tried to rep you, but they won't let me. ALL Terris deserve rep! I would try Airy, but no doubt someone would add an H......
My last name too - I really do need to learn the (what do they call it?) marine alphabet. alpha, bravo, charlie, delta.....

Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
LOL, I tried to rep you, but they won't let me. ALL Terris deserve rep! I would try Airy, but no doubt someone would add an H......
My last name too - I really do need to learn the (what do they call it?) marine alphabet. alpha, bravo, charlie, delta.....

Just call me Tango Echo Romeo Romeo India

Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,545 times
Now let me ask you! If you were Female and your middle name was Merle wouldn't you wan to change it!!
You can bet your bottom dollar I want to change it but it wouldn't help anything because it became my nick name.

Every time someone in my family or friends do something really off the wall they say they pulled a Merle, and if one of them gets diarrhea they say they are having a Merle attack.
My middle name has become the but of the jokes around my house.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 PM

57 posts, read 330,813 times
I like my name now that I'm an adult but would have changed it when I was a teenager. Not sure to what but it probably wouldn've been something like Raine or Skye or Moondust or well, just think 'hippy' lol

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I like Skye, or even Rayne. Very pretty names.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,734,834 times
I love my name...

I was named after my Great Aunt (who was named after a novel her father (my Great Grandfather) read : Vivian

Family nickname and old friends call me Vi. Newer friends call me Viv.

Middle name is Ann, after my Grandmother.

When I am in trouble or not paying attention, Mom calls me Vi Ann.

P.S. to VPCats... It's Saint Bibiana (English translates to Vivian) Patron Saint of the Mentally Ill & Tortured. Sounds fun, huh?

Also Vivianne was the High Priestess of Avalon - Gave King Arthur Excalibur

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Long time reader, first time poster on question of the day...man I'm nervous Anyway I'm fine with my name, but I have a good one. My sister n'laws mother used to have the last name skank. She couldn't get married fast enough so she wouldn't be a skank anymore
I started to put this on a rep line for you but I was afraid that you would think it was some kind of threat. In Union County, NC, there is a last name of RAPE. The people here pronounce it just that way, but I knew a lady in Charlotte who had the same last name and she pronounced it RA-PE'. I think it is a French name.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:33 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
I love my name...

I was named after my Great Aunt (who was named after a novel her father (my Great Grandfather) read : Vivian

Family nickname and old friends call me Vi. Newer friends call me Viv.

Middle name is Ann, after my Grandmother.

When I am in trouble or not paying attention, Mom calls me Vi Ann.

P.S. to VPCats... It's Saint Bibiana (English translates to Vivian) Patron Saint of the Mentally Ill & Tortured. Sounds fun, huh?

Also Vivianne was the High Priestess of Avalon - Gave King Arthur Excalibur

Well what do ya know! Patron Saint of the Mentally Ill & Tortured? Wonder if my mother knew THAT at that time. Gawdddddddddd. I like the High Priestess version better.

Very interesting. So there is a saint. Will have to look up what she did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics