Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I brought you a pie.

~\üüüüüüüü/~

It's whatever kind you want. Now let's have a bit of fun with . . .

Today's Question(s):
Where are you traveling this holiday season - Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving - or are you staying put?

What's something you only use during the holidays?

Large or small, good or not so good, can you tell us anything memorable about any get together?

Bonus:
Looking at census records of the 1800s I've found family names given as first names that
are awkward to say the least. Here's a couple made up names similar to the type of thing.
Imagine a person named Underhill Jones or Farmington Smith. Makes you wonder what
day to day names such people went by. Can you think of any family or surname(s) that in
your opinion work well as first names or add awkward one(s) too, if ya want?

Foodie Questions:
Are there any holiday foods or beverages others enjoy that you pass on?

Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie, and tell us what kind, if you like?

Just for fun:
Santa made a list and is, no doubt, busy checking it twice. You worried?

Today ISN'T Really:
Burned Marshmallow Topping Day
Dust Off the Gravy Boat Day
Relatives Test the Strength of Our Furniture Day
Relatives Test the Strength of Our Patience Day
What a Relief When It's Over Day

But in the US today IS a little thing called Thanksgiving Day!

Today's Quote:
"Eat ham!"
~Mr. Turkey

Today’s Word:
replete [ri-PLEET] adjective
abundantly supplied or provided; filled; usually followed by 'with'
ex. replete with gratitude

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving day wherever you live!

Last edited by bjh; 11-22-2017 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Today's Question(s):
Where are you traveling this holiday season - Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving - or are you staying put? We're staying right here and avoiding the roads, airports and malls. There isn't anything worth mixing it up with all the others when I can relax at home and avoid the crowds.

What's something you only use during the holidays? My memory of past holidays and being with friends & family. After getting older it's nice to have great memories.

Large or small, good or not so good, can you tell us anything memorable about any get together? Nothing special comes to mind that I could tell others about. Except one Christmas we flew back to the midwest to visit my parents. Things went well for the week but the night before we were to leave and return home the airport was frozen in with ice & snow. All flights canceled for days. When they did open up the airport, the airlines couldn't get us booked again on any flights back home. Everything was booked heading to Phoenix from that area of the country. We ended up renting a car, driving to Kansas City Mo where we could get booked on a flight to Salt Lake City and then down into Phoenix. Having to take the long way around was crazy but it worked. Seemed that everyone was heading to Phoenix for golf tournaments, car shows and conventions where the winter time days were warm and sunny with out snow & ice.

Bonus:
Looking at census records of the 1800s I've found family names given as first names that
are awkward to say the least. Here's a couple made up names similar to the type of thing.
Imagine a person named Underhill Jones or Farmington Smith. Makes you wonder what
day to day names such people went by. Can you think of any family or surname(s) that in

Foodie Questions:
Are there any holiday foods or beverages others enjoy that you pass on? I've got nothing.

Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie?
Cherry pie

Just for fun:
Santa made a list and is, no doubt, busy checking it twice. You worried? I hope he didn't see that..............

Today ISN'T Really:

Today's Quote:
"Eat ham!"
~Mr. Turkey

Today’s Word:

Enjoying Phoenix weather in the warmth and sunshine, no snow or ice.

by andyphxaz, on Flickr

Last edited by AksarbeN; 11-22-2017 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 09:30 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times

~\üüüüüüüü/~

Today's Question(s):
Where are you traveling this holiday season - Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving - or are you staying put?
Not going anywhere over the holidays.

Seeing how the only holiday that I celebrate happens to fall on March 17th that is the only time I use green food coloring in my cheap beer.

Large or small, good or not so good, can you tell us anything memorable about any get together?
When I was but a wee little mutt and we moved to Alaska, every couple years we would go visit family in Montana. It always took a full 24 hours to fly there. Then the relatives would want to visit for hours before dinner. By the time dinner was over I would have been up for 36 hours. Even as a youngster I had a messed up sleep cycle.

Bonus:
My family name would have been awful to use as a first name.

Foodie Questions:
Cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, eggnog

Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie?
If you were paying attention to my answer to the previous question then you already know my answer.

Just for fun:
Not in the least bit. I always leave stinky cheese and a cheap beer for Santa.

Today ISN'T Really:
Actually it is break mom's gravy boat and spend the rest of your life being punished for it day.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:31 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Today's Question(s):
We're staying put. On the news tonight they showed aerial shots of the huge freeway traffic jams in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and I gave thanks not to be part of that mess.
I have an autumn-themed and red-and-green plaid tablecloths that are only used this time of year.
When I was 15 my aunt and uncle took me to my grandmother's house in Modesto, about 90 miles away, for a family reunion. What was special is that my mother was there. At the time I lived with my dad and hadn't seen her - or any of my other family on that side - since I was 11 years old. I was absolutely astonished to discover that I had grown taller than my mom!

Bonus:
On the whole I don't care for the recent trend of using surnames (Avery, Wyatt, Cooper, Logan, Mason, etc.) as first names.

Foodie Questions:
Like 99.99% of the population, I'm not a big fan of fruitcake. I can also pass on egg nog.

I prefer pumpkin pie, but mince is OK, too.

Just for fun:
I've been an absolute angel this year.

Thanks, bjh. Happy Thanksgiving...and thanks for the pie, too!

Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

~\üüüüüüüü/~

Today's Question(s):
Just to the Gkids house.
My highly coveted cooking skills.
Yes! The air cannon is always fun.

Bonus:
If they have wealth they generally try to include all surnames.

Foodie Questions:
Moonshine...
Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie, and tell us what kind, if you like?
Coconut Creme, Boston Creme or pecan.

Just for fun:
Not yet! I Emailed my list in triplicate.

Today ISN'T Really:

Today's Quote:
"Eat ham!"
~Mr. Turkey

Today’s Word:

Thanks BJH! Happy Thanksgiving to you and all our friends on CD.

Last edited by SATX56; 11-22-2017 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Hi everyone. I brought you a pie. And some pi for you too... C= π*d = 2*π*r
~\üüüüüüüü/~

Today's Question(s):
Where are you traveling this holiday season - Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving - or are you staying put? I can barely walk so won't be leaving the house at all this season.

What's something you only use during the holidays? Holiday decorations.

Large or small, good or not so good, can you tell us anything memorable about any get together? Getting toys when I was a kid.

Bonus:
your opinion work well as first names or add awkward one(s) too, if ya want? Toolman Jack.

Foodie Questions:

Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie, and tell us what kind, if you like? Pumpkin, apple, cherry, mince or peach will do.

Just for fun:
Santa made a list and is, no doubt, busy checking it twice. You worried? Nah.

bjh

"Happy Thanksgiving" everyone, let's do the turkey dance together.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:37 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Happy Thanksgiving!

Today's Question(s):
Where are you traveling this holiday season - Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving - or are you staying put? My cousin's home. It is always a good time. It takes us about 80 minutes to get there.

What's something you only use during the holidays? When we used to stay home, I would pull out the good china.

Large or small, good or not so good, can you tell us anything memorable about any get together? We had moved to the family room to watch the game. Not long afterwards I said we had to go--got up, doing the hugging thing when we saw a glow from the dining room. There was a small fire going on from an unattended candle, glad I decided to leave when I did--it could have been really bad. We broke all fire rules putting it out. And as my family has it--we reaenacted it and laughed ourselves silly ! It was comic relief to a serious situation. (My cousin is no longer allowed to have candles!)

Foodie Questions:
Are there any holiday foods or beverages others enjoy that you pass on? Sweet Potato Casserole

Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie, and tell us what kind, if you like? My cousin's daughter in law is quite the baker, she always comes up with something different--so I will take whatever she has come up with...

Just for fun:
Santa made a list and is, no doubt, busy checking it twice. You worried? Not at all

Today ISN'T Really:
Dust Off the Gravy Boat Day Gravy--yum

Off to work for six hours by choice, they pay me very, very well today. I will be home by noon. Have a Happy Thanksgiving--eat lots of mashed potatoes and gravy!

Old 11-23-2017, 12:40 AM

38,863 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Today's Question(s):
Where are you traveling this holiday season - Christmas, New Year's or Thanksgiving - or are you staying put? I'm staying put. No reason for me to go anywhere since all my family lives close by.

What's something you only use during the holidays? My little Charlie Brown table-top Christmas tree.

Large or small, good or not so good, can you tell us anything memorable about any get together? Nothing really stands out.

Bonus:
your opinion work well as first names or add awkward one(s) too, if ya want? I've heard of Hunter as a first name. Another surname used as a first name is a young boy I know whose name is Cooper.

Foodie Questions:
Are there any holiday foods or beverages others enjoy that you pass on? Egg nog and fruitcake.

Which would you really rather have during the holidays, pumpkin pie or another kind of pie, and tell us what kind, if you like? Sweet potato pie or cheesecake would be good alternatives.

Just for fun:
Santa made a list and is, no doubt, busy checking it twice. You worried? Never.

To those who celebrate, have a Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for all the regular posters here in the QOTD.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:11 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

~\üüüüüüüü/~

My favorite pie is Cherry Pie, but on Thanksgiving I'll go with Pumpkin Pie!
Today's Question(s):
No place like Home, for the Holidays...we are staying put.

It's always nice for family to join around the table in celebration for the Holidays.

Bonus:
Taylor, Jackson, Thomas....probably others.

Foodie Questions:
I like most Holiday food that I can think of....I'll pass on soda and some of the alcoholic Beverages though.
My favorite pie is Cherry and if I am lucky and plan it right,
maybe we will have that for dessert sometimes this Nov or Dec. When I serve Turkey I always make pumpkin pies though...I will probably have pecan Pie, Cherry Pie or Apple pie at some point. (We don't eat a lot of desserts usually though...maybe once or twice a week, even during the Holidays)
My Son is the big Baker in the family...but he doesn't really do pies - cakes, cookies and candy though, yes.

Just for fun:

Today ISN'T Really:

Today's Quote:
"Eat ham!"
~Mr. Turkey

Today’s Word:

Ditto to you BJH...and a Wonderful Thanksgiving to everyone else also!

Old 11-23-2017, 02:43 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

~\üüüüüüüü/~

Today's Question(s):

Probably staying put. Put is my favoritest place to be.

Have a few Christmas decorations. That's it.

My grandmother used to put a wad of hay under the dining room table.I forget the reasoning.

Bonus:

Not really but parents do the kids no favor by getting cutesy with spelling.

Foodie Questions:
fruit cake is the 1st thing that comes to mind.

The kind of apple pie with the crumbly type topping instead of crust.

Just for fun:

yea. I've been so great this year, he might leave me everything I want. Then I wouldn't want anything. Oh, wait. I don't really want anything anyway.

Nope, not worried.

Today ISN'T Really:
Burned Marshmallow Topping Day> aint that the truth.

Today's Quote:
"Eat ham!"
~Mr. Turkey

Eat beef.
Miss Piggy

Today’s Word:

Thanks, bjh.

Thanksgiving starts with Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics