Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 17, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Sagittarius. Among the famous people who share your birthday are His Holiness Pope Francis; chemist and discoverer of carbon-14 dating Willard Libby; actress Milla Jovovich; actors Ernie Hudson and Bill Pullman; Penthouse magazine publisher Bob Guccione, boxer Manny Pacquiao; conductor Arthur Fiedler; political columnist and presidential speechwriter William Safire; British pop star Tommy Steele; Temptations singer-songwriter Eddie Kendricks and Canadian comedian-writer Eugene Levy.

Today’s Questions
When were you last on an airplane?

Where did you go?

Do you enjoy flying, dread it or something in between?

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite ethnic cuisine?

When did you have it last?

Do you know how to cook it?

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back? Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get?

Today in History:
1538Pope Paul II excommunicates King Henry VIII.
1728 – Congregation Shearith Israel purchases a lot on Mill Street in Manhattan to build the city’s first synagogue.
1791New York City traffic regulation creates the city’s first one-way street.
1862General Ulysses S. Grant issues order #11, expelling Jews from Tennessee.
1865Franz Schubert’s “Unfinished Symphony” premieres.
1903First Flight: Orville and Wilbur Wright take turns piloting a flying machine in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. The first flight, flown by Orville, covers 120 feet and lasts 12 seconds.
1914 Great Britain declares Egypt a protectorate.
1925 Colonel William “Billy” Mitchell is court-martialed for insubordination.
1938Discovery of nuclear fission using uranium by Otto Hahn and his assistant Fritz Strassman.
1941German troops led by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel begin their retreat in North Africa.
1944U.S. Army announces end of excluding Japanese-Americans from the U.S. West Coast; detainees released.
1947British industrial company BTH receives a patent for holography.
1957U.S. successfully test-fires an Atlas intercontinental ballistic missile.
1962Beatles’ first British TV appearance.
1979 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter participates in the first annual National Menorah lighting ceremony in Washington, D.C. in honor of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.
1986 Mrs. Davina Thompson makes history in Cambridge, England by becoming the first heart, lung and liver transplant patient.
1989Debut of the animated TV series The Simpsons.
1992Gen Suwa finds a tooth from a 4.4 million year old Australopithecus ramidus, a new species of early hominid.
2012 Jiroemon Kimura of Japan becomes the world’s oldest verified man at 116 years old.
NASA completes a successful mission to map the Moon’s gravity field.

2013Angela Merkel is elected Chancellor of Germany for the third time.

Word of the Day:
cromulent adjective
(humorous) Fine, acceptable or correct; seamless, relevant, legitimate or authentic; nonanomalous.

The animated sitcom The Simpsons, from which the word originates, premiered on this date in 1989.

Quote of the Day:
If I have one technology tip of the day, it's this: No matter how good the video on YouTube is, don't read the comments, just don't, because it will make you hate all humans.”

- Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 10:18 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Today’s Questions
When were you last on an airplane? It's been several years.

Where did you go? From here to there.

Do you enjoy flying, dread it or something in between? Lately dread the hassle.

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite ethnic cuisine? Mexican.

When did you have it last? 2 nights ago.

Do you know how to cook it? In the oven.

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back? Sometimes.
Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get Sometimes.

Yay Bay!

Old 12-16-2017, 10:56 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today’s Questions
Not since I retired

Where did you go?
My last trip was to Atlanta and back

I think it is somewhere in between. The thousand or so flights riding in a cockpit jumpseat were for the most part quite enjoyable. The several hundred riding in a coach seat not so enjoyable.

Bonus Questions:
Italian.

Last month

Some of it

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back? Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get?
A little of both

Old 12-16-2017, 11:02 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Today’s Questions
1990s
Where did you go?
Alaska
Enjoyed

Bonus Questions:
Far and away Italian.
In a restaurant a few weeks ago.
Yes. I want to cook spaghetti and meatballs, but have been under the weather.
I don't want to handle food others will eat while I'm sick.

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back?
Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get?

A little of both. I may forget who I've repped. I try to rep back usually and can lose track of
when the rep I received was already an exchange, so I probably over rep because I'm just
stupidly friendly like a tail wagging dog.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:16 AM

385 posts, read 205,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 17, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Sagittarius. Among the famous people who share your birthday are His Holiness Pope Francis; chemist and discoverer of carbon-14 dating Willard Libby; actress Milla Jovovich; actors Ernie Hudson and Bill Pullman; Penthouse magazine publisher Bob Guccione, boxer Manny Pacquiao; conductor Arthur Fiedler; political columnist and presidential speechwriter William Safire; British pop star Tommy Steele; Temptations singer-songwriter Eddie Kendricks and Canadian comedian-writer Eugene Levy.

Today’s Questions
About 25 years ago.
Where did you go? Tampa, FL

Do you enjoy flying, dread it or something in between? inbetween

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite ethnic cuisine? Mexican

A few hours ago
Do you know how to cook it? yes

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back? Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get? rep who I wish and enjoy the ones I get

Today in History:
1538Pope Paul II excommunicates King Henry VIII.
1728 – Congregation Shearith Israel purchases a lot on Mill Street in Manhattan to build the city’s first synagogue.
1791New York City traffic regulation creates the city’s first one-way street.
1862General Ulysses S. Grant issues order #11, expelling Jews from Tennessee.
1865Franz Schubert’s “Unfinished Symphony” premieres.
1903First Flight: Orville and Wilbur Wright take turns piloting a flying machine in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. The first flight, flown by Orville, covers 120 feet and lasts 12 seconds.
1914 Great Britain declares Egypt a protectorate.
1925 Colonel William “Billy” Mitchell is court-martialed for insubordination.
1938Discovery of nuclear fission using uranium by Otto Hahn and his assistant Fritz Strassman.
1941German troops led by Field Marshal Erwin Rommel begin their retreat in North Africa.
1944U.S. Army announces end of excluding Japanese-Americans from the U.S. West Coast; detainees released.
1947British industrial company BTH receives a patent for holography.
1957U.S. successfully test-fires an Atlas intercontinental ballistic missile.
1962Beatles’ first British TV appearance.
1979 – U.S. President Jimmy Carter participates in the first annual National Menorah lighting ceremony in Washington, D.C. in honor of the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.
1986 Mrs. Davina Thompson makes history in Cambridge, England by becoming the first heart, lung and liver transplant patient.
1989Debut of the animated TV series The Simpsons.
1992Gen Suwa finds a tooth from a 4.4 million year old Australopithecus ramidus, a new species of early hominid.
2012 Jiroemon Kimura of Japan becomes the world’s oldest verified man at 116 years old.
NASA completes a successful mission to map the Moon’s gravity field.

2013Angela Merkel is elected Chancellor of Germany for the third time.

Word of the Day:
cromulent adjective
(humorous) Fine, acceptable or correct; seamless, relevant, legitimate or authentic; nonanomalous.

The animated sitcom The Simpsons, from which the word originates, premiered on this date in 1989.

Quote of the Day:
If I have one technology tip of the day, it's this: No matter how good the video on YouTube is, don't read the comments, just don't, because it will make you hate all humans.”

- Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons.
Christmas is coming quickly this year!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Questions
When were you last on an airplane?February

Where did you go?Sacramento, CA

Do you enjoy flying, dread it or something in between?I despise it!

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite ethnic cuisine?Mexican

When did you have it last?Last night.

Do you know how to cook it? I could but don't.

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back? Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get? Outside of Q&A, I rep only when I like posts. With Q&A I just dig in once in awhile to try and rep everyone. Because it's a fun thread and I know that many are generous with reps for me.[/b]

If I have one technology tip of the day, it's this: No matter how good the video on YouTube is, don't read the comments, just don't, because it will make you hate all humans.” Well, I don't usually. I rarely comment in them, so I'm not interested in the childish comments.
Thanks, Bay!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:23 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Today’s Questions

Where did you go?

Bonus Questions:

judging by what little I've had of it: Greek

In Tuscon, October 2016

seriously?

Just For Fun:

pretty much rep whoever I want and appreciate the reps I get. I like the comments left sometimes.

Thanks, BA.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Good morning all from a dull, cloudy England. Dawn has just arrived, and it's quite misty out there.

I was last on an airplane a couple of weeks ago returning from Spain. I will be on another one this coming Thursday returning to Spain for Christmas. It's a hard life, but someone has to do it I guess.......

I don't enjoy flying, but it's something that has to be done if I want to go places. I'm not keen on the take off, and the landing. I always feel that's when the plane is most vulnerable.

My favourite ethnic cuisine would be Chinese I think. I don't eat a lot of it, but like it on occasion. We just buy it frozen, and microwave it........

I have the occasional repping frenzy, then don't indulge at all for a while. I am due one any time now!!

Old 12-17-2017, 02:44 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions
When were you last on an airplane? About a week ago.

Where did you go? Zürich, Switzerland

Do you enjoy flying, dread it or something in between? I enjoy going places, do I enjoy being on a plane for more that a couple of hours? I enjoy the end result. Focus on the destination. "A mile of highway will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Bonus Questions:
What is your favorite ethnic cuisine? Italian

When did you have it last? Last week

Do you know how to cook it? Yes

Just For Fun:
How do you handle repping? Do you keep track of who has repped you so you can rep them back? Or do you just rep whoever you want to and enjoy whatever reps you get? <---this one.

Thanks for the history lesson today Bay--always good!

Word of the Day:
cromulent adjective

Quote of the Day:
^ Agree, the comments can be annoying.

~Enjoy the day!

Old 12-17-2017, 02:57 AM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 17, 2017.
[ yo ]

Today?s Questions
[ 1997 ]

Where did you go?
[ Washington DC ]

[ these days, hate it, it's not even worth the hassle and expense. if the highways, road or rails don't go there then it's not worth worth bothering going to. strictly IMHO. also as a hacker it's unnerving being locked inside a machine that you have zero control over, miles above the ground, where the slightest fault can instantly become a disaster. ]

Bonus Questions:
[ La Choy makes Chinese food swing American! ]

[ ~28 hours ago or so ]

[ that's what restaurants/Safeway are for ]

Just For Fun:
[ whomever/whatever ]

[ so... that's it? ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics