Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 06:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
And then, if you couldn't iron right away, you put the rolled up clothes in the icebox until next time.
I knew there was another step but couldn't remember it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
How about the daily afternoon game show "Who Do You Trust" hosted by a very young Johnny Carson?
Friday night: "77 Sunset Strip", later "The Twilight Zone".
The 1957 Edsel.
1960 Corvair...the poor man's Porsche.
The whole nation still using two digit mail zone numbers.
All airlines still flying propellor aircraft. DC-6, triple tail wing.
The Dodgers and Giants departing New York to play in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
Rock n roller Jerry Lee Lewis marrying his 13 year old cousin.
Sputnik!
Beatniks!
Telstar!
Gas wars!
U-2 spy planes- Gary Powers
Texan Van Clibourn winning the Tschaikowsky piano competition (and critical acclaim) in Moscow.
East Germany builds a wall separating East from West Berlin.
Never happened...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Little trivia - First living (terrestrial) thing in space...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,237,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Doing laundry in a wash machine. Running clothes through the wringer into the first tub of rinse water, back through the wringer into the 2nd tub of water and then through the wringer and then hang everything outdoors if weather permitted. Otherwise hang clothes in the basement. Puttin dad's work pants on the metal pants stretchers.

My mom buying a table and chair set and making payments once a week to a man that would come by the house. He'd mark in a book the date and amount of payment. My daddy was in the Navy then and overseas at the time. So my mom worked at the 'Small Arms Plant' not far from our hone.

dh bought some pants stretchers at the flea market and every now and then he gets a wild hair and insists I put his work pants on them and hang them on the line. I hated them then and I hate them now!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:51 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Little trivia - First living (terrestrial) thing in space...
I'm trying to remember, but I think the Russians put the dog in space first.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Instead of cell phones we kept a dime in our penny loafers incase we needed to call home.

Getting a small pox vac.

roller skates that required a key.

using the mom seat belt method

when guys had a gun rack in their pick up and traded knives at school

This is a great thread, has brought back many memories I hant thought of for a looong time.
And there were pay phones every few blocks.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm trying to remember, but I think the Russians put the dog in space first.
It was right after they put a fire hydrant up there first, they then sent the dog up later.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Saturday morning cartoons instead of non stop Cartoon Network
David and Shawn Cassidy
Pinto
Gremlin
The wide collars on mens shirts
Jello salads
banana seat bikes

I'm going to bed...too old to stay up this late with you whipper snappers! LOL!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
It was right after they put a fire hydrant up there first, they then sent the dog up later.
They had to have a reason to send the dog up....

Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 PM

969 posts, read 2,851,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I was on both the Ranger Hal Show (Up a Lazy River by the Old Mill Stream...) and the Pick Temple Show where I sat in the "Peanut Gallery" I remember one kid was removed from the set because he had loud "caps" in his toy gun (when you were supposed to shoot at the "snake" that poked its head out of a hole in the wall).

We used to buy rolls of "caps" at the Wheaton News Stand, where they were kept under the counter, which of course added to their allure

We used to go to the Kresges in Silver Spring to get a big bag of popcorn before going to the Silver Theater down the street. Popcorn was cheaper there but you had to hide the big bag under your coat. I think they must have known. SS Kresges had wooden floors that creaked when you walked on them and when you went in the store smelled wonderfully of the popcorn and hot nuts that were for sale there.
Wheaton News Stand - comic books were 12 cents

And the Cold Cut subs at Kresges - I think the same old lady worked the counter for 100 years.

May I add the goat trashcan at Wheaton Regional Park that would say (OUTLOUD) "FEED ME" when you passed by - though now that I think of it - he must have said it 24/7.

And I was on the WING DING TV Show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics