Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 08:09 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I remember the first easy bake oven and the milkman and he would sneak a chocolate milk to my brother and I when he came to the house.

When the most annoying thing said in the house was 'you get up and change the channel," "No, you change it" "No you get up and change it"...and on and on and on and we'd all end up watching a show no one wanted to because no one would get up and 'flip' the dial.
That was hard work! That's why they all have digital remotes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Uh,

Black and white TV

The plastic sheet you placed over it during Captain Kangaroo so you could color on it. It was blue across the top, clear in the center, and green across the bottom.

Crusader Rabbit

Pinky Lee

Jack Paar (the original Tonight Show)

Ernie Kovacs

Sid Caesar

My parents buying A Kaiser

No indoor plumbing (yes an out house and a water pump in the back yard)

Coal furnace

Curbliners

Polio

BTW, we still have our 30 year old microwave and it is in prime condition. Wish I had bought two. This one might not last until I die. But then again it might...

Just to be mean I'm not explaining any of it. You have to look it up on Google. So there.

Well, I remember, foggily of course, when Eisenhower was elected the first time, it was night time when they arrived for the first of many trips to Augusta, Mamie waved and smiled at me.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 PM

The assasination of President John F Kennedy.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Uh,

Black and white TV

The plastic sheet you placed over it during Captain Kangaroo so you could color on it. It was blue across the top, clear in the center, and green across the bottom.

Crusader Rabbit

Pinky Lee

Jack Paar (the original Tonight Show)

Ernie Kovacs

Sid Caesar

My parents buying A Kaiser

No indoor plumbing (yes an out house and a water pump in the back yard)

Coal furnace

Curbliners

Polio

BTW, we still have our 30 year old microwave and it is in prime condition. Wish I had bought two. This one might not last until I die. But then again it might...

Just to be mean I'm not explaining any of it. You have to look it up on Google. So there.
Someone my age

There was a Gas Street Light on our block in Philly. The guy came and lit it every night.

Ice man came twice a week to deliver Ice to our Ice Box

No TV until 1950

No Car

We had one of those old phones with the ear piece you picked up

I thought it was Winky-Dink with the plastic screen you put over the TV Screen and drew on

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eclOp...om=PL&index=27

Last edited by Boompa; 09-06-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Someone my age

There was a Gas Street Light on our block in Philly. The guy came and lit it every night.

Ice man came twice a week to deliver Ice to our Ice Box

No TV until 1950

No Car

We had one of those old phones with the ear piece you picked up
Attached Thumbnails
I'm so old I remember...-oldcandlestickclick.jpg  

Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 PM

I remember frosted mugs of A&W root beer and watching "Black Beauty" at the drive-in theater, with the speaker hanging inside the window.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I don't know how I ever missed this thread. I've spent that last couple of hours reading it and laughing my a$$ off and I'm only half way through.

I remember the girls who worked in my grandfather's office wearing white gloves to work, and they did this until probably 1970.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Ooops, posted before I was done!

I remember running all over town with my girlfriend when I was six years old. We'd walk the couple of miles to the five and ten counter so we could slide up on the stools and get a soda. Our instructions from my dad were to just tell anybody who we were if we had any problem and they would call him. The rest of the time we were either roller skating on the slate sidewalk to the local museum so we could sit on the lion statues on either side of the door, or stealthing through peoples backyards as shortcuts. Give us a piece of rope and we could play horsey in the backyard for hours, or we'd sit in a large forsythia bush and pretend it was a spaceship. Then there was the acrobatics on the handrail for the steps at every street crossing. The five and ten had wooden floors and I remember when a man came to demonstrate the first ball point pens. That was where I saw my first out of towner whose kid had pierced ears. Our phone number was 310 and there was an assembly at school to explain to us how to dial as before that you just had to pick up the phone and tell the operator.

My first car was a 1949 Mercedes (one of those big round things) with a sunroof which stick shift I learned how to drive in Central Park, NYC. I also recall painting a VW bug with spray cans of paint. A cross country trip with four people in a bug, actually didn't think they were serious till they showed up at the door. And another one in a split windshield 40's ambulance from NYC to LA where the organge groves went almost to the city center. Trips to Fla before Rt 95 going through a lot of burned out southern towns, not really sure what that was all about but it was before civil rights?

Cat's cradle, wooden thread reels with nails pounded in the top and used to make a long knitted tube, adorning home made clothes with ric rac, tap dancing lessons (Shirley Temple) and recital on the main stage of the local multi tiered theatre, traveling troupe entertainment for kids at the same theatre. The dash after dinner to meet all the kids for blocks around at the local park where we'd stay till dark. There was a slide which we waxed for speed, a maypole, a whirlygig, monkey bars, swings, and some war monuments. On occasion I find Beeman's Pepsi Gum. I hear they still put it out once a year at Xmas and when I find it I buy the whole box. We had one of the first tv's in town and it seems to me there was a regular Saturday night movie whose name I can't recall, anybody?

My mother would sit at my little table with me and make tea with me in my little tea set. Milk and water for coffee and just plain water for tea. She gave me lettuce sandwiches for school every day for years till she switched to corned beef. I remember when my little brother decided to lick the wrought iron railing in front of our house in winter and my mother pouring a pan of hot water over his head. Sliding down the banister was always good fun and peaking through at the top to see what the adults were up to. Dad was fond of Mario Lanza and always singing or whistling which greatly irritated my mother and greatly delighted us kids. He was good enough to have been a professional. My grandmother showed me how to bake when I was little - a handful of this and a handful of that. They were strict about dress and manners and when either of them spoke we hopped to it no questions asked. My grandfather was very excited to give me a pair of silk socks and we always got a pair of handmade mittens from my great aunt at Xmas with a subscription to Reader's Digest for my mother particularly because of the word section as her aunt was an English teacher. In the summer I'd have to scrape ten layers of bubbled up dark green paint from the bottom of my grandfather's rowboat, that was fun, and much to the consternation of the men in the family he wouldn't let any of them drive the Criss Craft but 6 yr old me.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 09-06-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I remember when it was a three day and three night bus ride from central FL to Detroit, MI.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 AM

I remember when "The Wizard of Oz" was shown on TV(black and white) once a year and everyone looked forward to watching it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics