Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

Mickey Mouse Club Magazine.

Jimmy used to sing a song about it--"To get your Mickey Mouse Club Magazine, Print your name and address real neat and clean. Send it along with a dollar bill for six? big issues and a great big thrill."

Which I did, of course. When each issue arrived I would stock up on chocolate chip cookies and milk and head for the couch where I would sit and read for hours.

(does anyone else remember these silly jingles? word for word and I can still sing it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Speaking of silly jingles (and I will make my exit soon, I promise....)

"Oh I love to go riding with Daddy. And he always takes me of course.
We stop for our gas and our oil at the sign of the flying red horse."

Esso gas jingle, 1950s.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Speaking of silly jingles (and I will make my exit soon, I promise....)

"Oh I love to go riding with Daddy. And he always takes me of course.
We stop for our gas and our oil at the sign of the flying red horse."

Esso gas jingle, 1950s.
The flying red horse was "Mobil" gas stations

Old 05-15-2011, 06:41 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i remember when girls had names like debbie, martha, mildred, bertha, evelyn, and maureen... and boys had names like frank, john, david, albert, and robert.. as opposed to today's endless reiterations of brandon, josh, jacob, zachary, amber, emily, emma [although those last two are kinda cool since they're old names that made a comeback], ashley, and brittany.
This is a fun tool to see the years a name was popular
NameVoyager: Baby Name Wizard Graph of Most Popular Baby Names | The Baby Name Wizard

Old 05-15-2011, 06:46 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Does anyone remember where the gas cap was located on a "57" Chevy?

1957 Chevy "Belair"
Is it behind the taillight? I was working at a gas station back when that and other older cars were prevalent. There were a lot of creative places as the car manufacturers liked to hide the gas cap.

Then in the early 70's, almost all cars had them behind the rear license plate. That provided the advantage of going to either lane of the gas station. I think it was the Pinto blowups that got them off the back on to one side again.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:55 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hope someone publishes this thread, it's good history.

I used to put on a nice dress and little white gloves and go downtown on the bus with my mother.

We'd shop in the big department stores, the small shops, and then go to Kresge's for lunch.

We'd sit at the lunch counter and have grilled cheese sandwiches with cups of cocoa--so yummy on a cold winter day.

Then we'd shop in Kresge's with the old creaky wooden floors and tables jam packed with stuff to look at. There were always canaries for sale in back and you could buy everything from hairnets to aprons to candy to toasters to mops to makeup, etc.

She might buy a few potholders or cheap kitchen towels and I would probably get bobby pins or some kind of trinket jewelry and then we'd go back outside and wait for the bus to go home.

That's how we shopped. No malls in those days. Oh, no credit cards either but my mother had a metal charge card kept in a little leather holder that she could use in either of the two department stores.
This comes close to describing my shopping trips "downtown" with my mother and sister in the late 1930's and early 1940's, too. My mother would always dress up in a nice dress, put on stockings and a hat and my sister and I always wore one of our better dresses for the trip. We rode the bus to town. "Window shopping" was always a large part of any trip we made and we usually headed straight for Woolworth's or Kress "five and dime" stores with a trip into Leonard's or Stripling's department stores. I had forgotten about the bird cages with the canaries in them--thanks for the reminder. We always had an ice cream soda or a cherry coke at the soda fountain. A trip to town and back on the bus was a big deal and close to a full day's outing for us.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,142 times
Gee your hair smells terrific

Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Is it behind the taillight? I was working at a gas station back when that and other older cars were prevalent. There were a lot of creative places as the car manufacturers liked to hide the gas cap.

Then in the early 70's, almost all cars had them behind the rear license plate. That provided the advantage of going to either lane of the gas station. I think it was the Pinto blowups that got them off the back on to one side again.
On the left wing above the tail light. There was a chrome door.

Yes, the Ford Pinto exploded when ass ended.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
Gee your hair smells terrific
A little dab'll do ya.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I remember when new car dealers would use those 'million candle power spotlights' shining high in the sky, to draw people from all over the city for the the introduction of the new car models each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics