Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,130,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I'm so old that I remember seeing signs at most every gas station around that they would take no bills bigger than a $20 at night. $20 doesn't make much of a dent in the gasoline tank anymore.
I remember going into a gas station and trading my smaller bills for a $500 bill from gas stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,422,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I remember the gas pumps with the gasoline in a glass container atop the pump but I never rode in a rumble seat. However, I do remember seeing people in them. We didn't have a car so we rode a public bus everywhere. My mom made all our clothes--many from flour sacks. She made two identical dresses--one for me, one for my older sister. End result was that I got to outgrow mine and then wear out the one my older sister had outgrown. I hated hand-me-downs and to this day I still hate them. The one exception is jeans and I am delighted when I find a pair of used jeans that are big enough and long enough for me.

We went barefoot all summer except to church and "to town".
Yep! And when you dressed up you put on your "Sunday go to meeting" clothes!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutrank View Post
Ues to live in paramount ca. the cruse was to the bellflower clock first then to harveys in downey then to the clock in compton and the to bobs in lakewook ca. Talk about the good odl days when you went out and had a ball doing nothing but crusin and talking and eating.I got my first car at sixteen a 1932 ford roadster what a blast those days were.
With gas prices what they are today, I only drive to get to and from a specific place. My days of just "riding along in my automobile...with no particular place to go", as the old song said, are over.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM

I remember when grocery store items all had flourescent orange price tag stickers on them. I also remember when the cashiers typed each item's price into the cash register one by one, before those beeping scanner doodads came about.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM

26,273 posts, read 8,377,852 times
There is'nt much cruisin' going on here in England either - not at $9 a gallon!!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,858,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
With gas prices what they are today, I only drive to get to and from a specific place. My days of just "riding along in my automobile...with no particular place to go", as the old song said, are over.
I hear you, loud and clear!

I used to take drives into the rural countryside - 100 miles each way - on a sunny weekend day just for relaxation and admiring the scenery and maybe trying out a new restaurant. Those days are nearly gone. Now if I want to take a drive it's to nearby Bucks County for lunch in a charming cafe in a historic little town like Doylestown or New Hope (maybe 60 miles roundtrip) and even that is a treat only once every few weeks.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,858,310 times
I declare, I am getting old!

I remember:

- the milkman in his all-white uniform making deliveries so early in the morning, just as dawn was breaking.

- when Coca Cola came in 6 and 1/2 oz bottles and went up in price from 5 cents to 10 cents.

- Penny candy!

- when "big hair" was the fashion rage for the ladies.

- the hot new dance craze was "The Twist" and we loved the song by Chubby Checker (who is still alive!)

now here is my favorite ...

Does anyone remember when drugstores had these display cabinets that sold different sizes of TV tubes, you would bring in the old burnt out tube to test and match it with a new tube?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,147,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Does anyone remember when drugstores had these display cabinets that sold different sizes of TV tubes, you would bring in the old burnt out tube to test and match it with a new tube?

Yes. I used to take all the tubes to the drugstore and test them in the tube tester to see which one was burned out.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,694,412 times
Loved the Twist, CP!

-Paperdolls from magazines
-Dresses with little crinoline slips
-Bookbags
-Disney songs ie When you Wish Upon a Star

Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,099,618 times
........"old", as in remembering getting home from grade school late-afternoon and immediately "tuning-in" the Philco Radio" with the "cat's-eye" tuning knob, to listen to:..... (15 minutes each)

...Jack Armstrong

...Flash Gordon

..Terry & The Pirates

...Air Adventures of Jimmie Allen

...Captain Midnight

...Mr Keen Tracer-of-Lost-Persons.

......and all before mom made supper and then "no-more radio".......it was homework time!!

..........and yea, this was in the 1930's....when gasoline was 12.5 cents per gallon and all R.R. engines (at least those in the northern midwest) were "Steam Engines.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 01-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics