Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

^^^ less beer and more bbq..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 05:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
The day the teach was demonstrating the metal sodium in the lab. He put a tiny piece in a beaker of water. Seconds later an explosion occurred on the ceiling. Static electricity ignited the hydrogen released on the ceiling.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Me, too (everything you said).

Did your fingers sometimes get stuck between the keys?
Yes, they did. Those old manual typewriters needed a lot of maintenance. If you didn't clean the ink off the keys, they'd stick to the paper or make a smudge on it. Good old-fashioned rubbing alcohol worked pretty well to keep the keys and roller clean.

Do you remember the old duplicating machines from the 60's and the way the paper smelled when the teacher handed out the copies in class?

Spoiler

Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, they did. Those old manual typewriters needed a lot of maintenance. If you didn't clean the ink off the keys, they'd stick to the paper or make a smudge on it. Good old-fashioned rubbing alcohol worked pretty well to keep the keys and roller clean.

Do you remember the old duplicating machines from the 60's and the way the paper smelled when the teacher handed out the copies in class?

I remember the duplicating machines from the 70s. Yes, the paper smelled, but it was okay. The paper was warm, too (like now). Heat is energy, right? Or energy produces heat? It's something how important heat is.

I agree about the rubbing alcohol. I think that's what we used for our keys and rollers.

Another thing about the manual typewriter: that big lever at the end that you had to push to make a paragraph, or after you typed a sentence and wanted a space between that sentence and the next. Oh, it's hard to describe (especially on a hot and tiring day).

The electric typewriter was great. We pushed a button (not a big lever) to make spaces between sentences/paragraphs. I remember the IBM Selectric. Oh, we thought we were SOMETHING using those "modern" machines. Today in my "older" age, I sometimes want to relive my younger days because I was less cynical and more optimistic. Things seemed newer and brighter. Oh well... Play with the cards dealt to us now. It's okay.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 PM

The old typewriters are a beautiful piece of art but I wouldn't trade the word processing advancements of today. It's much easier to correct a mistake now than using an ink eraser or white-out. And making copies by printing more than one, instead of using carbon paper. Oh that carbon paper! What a mess.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:28 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I remember the duplicating machines from the 70s. Yes, the paper smelled, but it was okay. The paper was warm, too (like now). Heat is energy, right? Or energy produces heat? It's something how important heat is.

I agree about the rubbing alcohol. I think that's what we used for our keys and rollers.

Another thing about the manual typewriter: that big lever at the end that you had to push to make a paragraph, or after you typed a sentence and wanted a space between that sentence and the next. Oh, it's hard to describe (especially on a hot and tiring day).

The electric typewriter was great. We pushed a button (not a big lever) to make spaces between sentences/paragraphs. I remember the IBM Selectric. Oh, we thought we were SOMETHING using those "modern" machines. Today in my "older" age, I sometimes want to relive my younger days because I was less cynical and more optimistic. Things seemed newer and brighter. Oh well... Play with the cards dealt to us now. It's okay.
I think they were called ditto machines. The ink was purple.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
I remember cigarette vending machines being in restaurants, bowling alleys, drug stores*, grocery stores then when they put signs on for minors. Saying you had to be 18 to buy them.

*Drug stores before they were pharmacies that had penny candy, soda fountain counters, gift wrap & cards and speckled all over little towns in America.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
I remember getting milk in glass bottles in school, with a paper cap and paper straws. It was 2 cents when I was in kindergarten. Jumped to 5 cents a couple of years later.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Big Tootsie Roll sticks for a nickel now are a $1.99

Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 PM

Block parties. And you didn't need to obtain a permit from the city to have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics