Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
never locking the doors to the house
OMG, remember many didn't even have a key to their house doors, or if they did they were those 'Skeleton keys' that fit everyone's doors!

I remember my dad taking us shopping downtown on summer weekends and leaving the keys in the ignition and the windows rolled down! This was late 50's early 60's, such a better/safer world back then.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 03-20-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 03:22 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I'm so old I remember... When they used nylon belted tires.. in the winter they would go thump thump down the road till they warmed up.. and air at the gas station was free. And the gentleman's in their white uniforms with the multi-cornered hats would wash your windshield - pump your gas and make change and tip their hat.. and say Thank You for stopping at the "Star"

Old 03-20-2014, 04:39 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
we still have a few gas stations around here that have someone pump your gas. I love it!

I remember meter readers having to go around to peoples' houses to read their electric and gas meters. Most were in the basement so someone had to home to let them in.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
I remember mimeograph machines (used to love the smell). Postage stamps that cost under 10 cents. Comic books under 20 cents. Nickle candy bars. Milk delivered to your door by a milk man (along with cottage cheese, eggs, O.J., cream). I remember gas stations giving away free promotional stuff for a fillup. I remember the Sinclair dinosaur. I remember S&H green stamps and the green stamp store. I remember television signing off at 12 PM after the 11PM news and back on at 6 AM.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
I remember mimeograph machines (used to love the smell). Postage stamps that cost under 10 cents. Comic books under 20 cents. Nickle candy bars. Milk delivered to your door by a milk man (along with cottage cheese, eggs, O.J., cream). I remember gas stations giving away free promotional stuff for a fillup. I remember the Sinclair dinosaur. I remember S&H green stamps and the green stamp store. I remember television signing off at 12 PM after the 11PM news and back on at 6 AM.
That's funny. I remember the smell of those things made me dizzy. Does anyone here remember copy machines called Ozlids that ran on ammonia? Boy did they stink.

I loved S&H green stamps and the treasures you could get with them. My little sister, now age 60, didn't resemble anyone in the family so my other sister and I used to tease her that her daddy was the milkman who delivered our milk in the early mornings.

I remember gumball machines that cost a penny. If you got a yellow one with red stripes like a baseball, you took it to the counter in the candy store and redeemed it for a prize which was usually a candy bar. The gumball machine also had little charms we kids traded. Some were considered more "valuable" than others. We would play those penny machines like the slot machines in Vegas to get them.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 PM

I'm sold old I remember ... Air Raid Drills in School... - Duck - Cover.. the Russian Strom Troopers are landing in the play yard.. talk about being traumatized as a kid.. 1-2 times a month we had this film and others like it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,057 times
I remember gumball machines that cost a penny. If you got a yellow one with red stripes like a baseball, you took it to the counter in the candy store and redeemed it for a prize which was usually a candy bar. The gumball machine also had little charms we kids traded. Some were considered more "valuable" than others. We would play those penny machines like the slot machines in Vegas to get them.

Yes...back then most were a penny or a nickle. The "big hitters" were a quarter. There was OTC penny candy as well. I remember when Cracker Jacks gave good prizes, like whistle rings and little race cars you put together. Or mini binoculars or magnifiers.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:13 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,570,802 times
I was thinking of this when I was waiting for a phone call... I remember when you couldn't leave your house for fear of missing that call! (job ones esp!)

Old 03-21-2014, 03:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
I was thinking of this when I was waiting for a phone call... I remember when you couldn't leave your house for fear of missing that call! (job ones esp!)
The opposite of this was you could always ignore a ringing phone if you didn't feel like answering. You just told whomever had called when they finally caught up with you that you weren't home to get their call. That way they didn't know you just didn't feel like talking.

Today, people know you know they are calling with caller ID and voicemail so you can't ignore anyone.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:14 PM

I'm so old I remember... The "Party Line" your phone had a certain ring If it did not ring that way you knew some one was on the line. As a kid you could hear all the gossip going on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics