Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 09:34 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times

Advertisements

I remember getting S&H Green stamps when I bought gas at 39cents a gal. and when the book of stamps was filled up, I could exchange it for a pretty good item at the S&H store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Did you grow up in the San Fernando Valley? This was a regular past time when I was a young teen! Loved Bob's!
Close, San Gabriel Valley. Those were the days weren't they.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
In 52 here was a BOB'S BIG BOY in Glendale Ca and one also on Colorado Blvd, Pasadena that we would go to after the football game. Cars were lined up in the street to get in as it was so crowded. I was equipment mgr for the football team at PCC city college. This where I met my wife who was a CARHOP at the same time. Now were talking OLD. Steve

Old 05-19-2008, 08:11 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times
Now wait a minute Steve..not old, just experienced I grew up in Van Nuys where my older brother use to go to Bob's after school and cruise Van Nuys Blvd. on Wednesday nights until they were banned. Then they cruised Hollywood Blvd. instead. Here's a blast from the past..my brother was on Scholarquiz, the t.v. show for brainiacts in high school, but also went on Shabang (dance show) and other's. I remember when he came home from one that he had all these new released 45's and he gave me Papa's Got a Brand New Bag by James Brown. He also introduced me to the Beatles by giving me Revolver. Older brother's are good for some things

Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember getting S&H Green stamps when I bought gas at 39cents a gal. and when the book of stamps was filled up, I could exchange it for a pretty good item at the S&H store.
Great reminder! The only baseball mitt I ever owned was obtained with two books of S&H green stamps.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Yes, good old days and many good old experiences to remember that will last a liftime. Some people today will never know or experience the stuff we went thru. I just loved those days. Can only talk about them to my GREAT grandson. Steve

Old 05-19-2008, 09:20 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
I remember Bob's Big Boy, we had a couple of them back in Maryland and Metropolitan Washington, DC area, we also had the Mighty Mo's drive-ins, owned by Hot Shopps, I remember cruising the Mighty Mo's and the Hot Shopps back in the 50s. We even had some Dairy Queens that we use to cruise.

Last edited by ptsum; 05-19-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Ahhh yes, the first TV I ever saw was in a store window in Washington DC in 1951. I was 18 years old.

Where I was born and lived, until I graduated from the 8th grade(1932-1946), the railroad ran along side of our farm. The hobos would come to our house for something to eat. My mother would put them to splitting firewood while she made sandwiches for them.
Both of our heating stoves, and the cook stove, burned wood. My Dad would hook up the work horses to a wagon, and we would go to the nearby hills for wood.

My mother made dresses for me and my 3 sisters from flowery sacks that flour came in. I guess she made my brother shirts from them, too.

Our under pants had draw strings in them.

Our stockings were cotton...usually brown. They were held up with a belt with hanging down fasteners that closed on each side of the top of the stockings. ( I can't remember what they were called.)

We lived in a very cold snowy area, and wore 'ski-pants' all winter when going outside. They were full length, with zippers. Heavy cotton. Pant legs zipped from bottom to get on easier.

I posted a lot, about the 1930s and 1940s, earlier on this thread.
I remember the Depression Years and World War 2 years very well.... We had coupon books during the war, to buy gasoline, shoes, various food items.
I remember having 'black outs' to prepare us for a possible attack by the enemy.

When we went to a movie, there was always a news reel about the war.

One of the movies that we saw was the first filming of Gone With the Wind. Before that, some of what we saw were silent films.

Our lights were kerosine lamps. Every night, before we went to bed, we children and our mother would sit around the kitchen table while she read to us from a monthly magazine. One of our favorite stories was " Little Black Sambo".

Our other entertainment was radio programs.

Since we lived on my folk's farm we were never "bored' . We had plenty of chores to do. Our spare time was spent playing out doors. We had lots of games we played...hide and seek, cowboys and indians, sheriffs and outlaws, anti I over, and ( in the winter) fox and geese, as well as others. It was during those years that I got my first jigsaw puzzles, and spent hours behind my father's chair putting them together, on the floor. ( I stll do them, and have a large collection, including the originals).

My father was the gardener. My mother the canner of the produce. We had a celler that the canned food was stored in, on shelves. In the spring, when the snow went off, the celler would get lots of water in it, Mama had to have a plank across from the steps to the shelves, in order to get to the jars of food. Our perishables were kept there also. We did not have an ice box. Our first refrigerator was when I was a teenager, on our new farm, in a more southern location. We also had a wellhouse there, that had cold air coming from an artesian well that kept the well house cold. That was our first house with piped in water, and we had no hot water except what was heated by the wood cook stove. The stove had a reservior.

Mama heated water in a copper reservoir on top of the stove, for washing clothes. She would bring in the washing machine from off the back porch...fill it with hot water...fill the two rinse tubs with cold water. It was pretty much an all day's job. The whites would be washed first, and the dirtiest clothing last, with hot water added as needed.

When it was bathing day ( once a week) a galvanized wash tub would be filled with warm water. We siblings took turns...the oldest first, since it was considered she was the cleanest. :-( I was next to last of the 5 of us. Our brother was the youngest, and presumedly the dirtiest. He was last. Sometime along the years, the wash tub was replaced by a galvanized bath tub. I was a grown married woman before I ever took a bath in a real bath tub, where there was hot and cold running water!

We always had an outhouse. ( I had an indoor toilet after I was grown and married). My dad was so against using an indoor facility that when they went to visit my sister that had modern facilities, he would go to the next door neighbor's out house! LOL

Oakie doakie...I'm sure that is enough for now....:-)

Old 05-19-2008, 10:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Marian,,,, what a great post and read. Thank you for sharing it. You’re remembering more then I can forget.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:28 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,548,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Marian,,,, what a great post and read. Thank you for sharing it. You’re remembering more then I can forget.
Thanks, I checked back on my original posts ( # 340 and # 377) and see I repeated myselt a few times. :-(

Maybe I will add a bunch more of my teenage memories. :-)

Later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics