Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 06:13 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember... Milk Man delivering milk... most new homes had little cubical next to the front door just big enough for 4 quarters of milk.. and a little door when pushed shut it would lock..
There are a few things I'd like to have just for the heck of it, one is an old Divco milk truck, the other is a 3 wheeled Mailster. I just love these two old vehicles. I saw one of each, both in great condition and reasonably priced for what they were, but it was the wrong time for me to splurge like that. Now it's too late to think of anything like that. I even like looking at the old print ad's of the milk man delievering to homes. Ozzie and Harriet had one episode where Ricky and then Ozzie took over the route for a friend.

I'm sitting here watching the Ozzie and Harriet show this morning. I see their old house has been on the market, listing for about 5 million. Though it's been redone to the point now that the old charm is mostly gone and it's not what it once was. I suppose that would only matter to older folks that care about history and the way things used to be and not to some young hipster types.

Life was good about 1960 if one were upper middle class. Just think of it, a big Lincoln to drive, and no cares about gas prices. I also saw a station wagon that had been owned by Ozzie for sale on Ebay last year. It was a Pontiac maybe like a 55 or 56. It was beautiful. I was surprised they didn't get more for it. Ozzie drove a big Imperial in some of the later shows. Those were great old cars too. I loved their old show, I think it stands up very well through time.

http://paradiseleased.wordpress.com/...arriets-house/

Redone 'Ozzie and Harriet' house lists at $4.995 million - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:22 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
I remember being so excited to get my Vietnam POW bracelet in the mail..still remember the man's name....

Old 11-16-2014, 07:27 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
I'm so old I remember... Milk Man delivering milk... most new homes had little cubical next to the front door just big enough for 4 quarters of milk.. and a little door when pushed shut it would lock..
This is funny..we had one too... Fast forward....I started helping an older man a few days a week a few years back and was looking out his window and saw a man..asked my little old man friend..."Hey is his name Marvin?" Honestly.. Our old milk man lived two doors down from him...had to go say hello...40 some years later!!!!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:24 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I an so old I can remember miking cows by hand for the local Dairy.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM

671 posts, read 889,926 times
I'm so old I don't remember anything............
Cept when Ben was talking about building a better stove.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:45 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
I'm so old I don't remember anything............
Cept when Ben was talking about building a better stove.
I looked at his stove design and told him to "Go Fly a Kite"

Old 11-16-2014, 11:52 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
There are a few things I'd like to have just for the heck of it, one is an old Divco milk truck, the other is a 3 wheeled Mailster. I just love these two old vehicles. I saw one of each, both in great condition and reasonably priced for what they were, but it was the wrong time for me to splurge like that. Now it's too late to think of anything like that. I even like looking at the old print ad's of the milk man delievering to homes. Ozzie and Harriet had one episode where Ricky and then Ozzie took over the route for a friend.

I'm sitting here watching the Ozzie and Harriet show this morning. I see their old house has been on the market, listing for about 5 million. Though it's been redone to the point now that the old charm is mostly gone and it's not what it once was. I suppose that would only matter to older folks that care about history and the way things used to be and not to some young hipster types.

Life was good about 1960 if one were upper middle class. Just think of it, a big Lincoln to drive, and no cares about gas prices. I also saw a station wagon that had been owned by Ozzie for sale on Ebay last year. It was a Pontiac maybe like a 55 or 56. It was beautiful. I was surprised they didn't get more for it. Ozzie drove a big Imperial in some of the later shows. Those were great old cars too. I loved their old show, I think it stands up very well through time.

Here Comes Ozzie & Harriet’s House | Paradise Leased

Redone 'Ozzie and Harriet' house lists at $4.995 million - LA Times
Remember when > 1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V 2 Door Hardtop Coupe Value, Prices & Specs | NADAguides | NADA 1960 Lincoln Continental Book Value & 1960 Lincoln Continental Market Price

Old 11-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I an so old I can remember miking cows by hand for the local Dairy.
Once you milk a cow it's like riding a bike... until the cow slaps you with that wet stinky tail...

Old 11-16-2014, 11:56 AM

I'm so old I remember... Going to Western Auto as a kid having your ice skates sharpen.....

Old 11-16-2014, 05:03 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
There are a few things I'd like to have just for the heck of it, one is an old Divco milk truck, the other is a 3 wheeled Mailster. I just love these two old vehicles. I saw one of each, both in great condition and reasonably priced for what they were, but it was the wrong time for me to splurge like that. Now it's too late to think of anything like that. I even like looking at the old print ad's of the milk man delievering to homes.
I'm too lazy to dig out a photo but my shiny Divco looked very similar to this one. Apparently these trucks came with seats, but my company must have removed them, because we drove standing up with one hand on the wheel and one hand on the outside frame. They were a blast to drive.

While the new, refrigerated trucks were a big improvement (no ice to shovel and you could close one door in the winter), they lacked the style of their predecessors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics