Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 03:47 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,674,678 times

Advertisements

I bet there are drivers now who do not remember winding up or down windows with a crank.

Are any cars or small trucks manufactured without auto windows now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 03:52 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I bet there are drivers now who do not remember winding up or down windows with a crank.

Beside winding up /down some of the older trucks & cars had the front wind shield tip out.. that was country air condition and free..

Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,957,928 times
Quote:

I believe the 1/2 ton work trucks still have roll down windows.
I bought a new 2011 Chevy Work Truck..........Silverado 1500...and it has roll down windows

only 18,000 miles on it so its still like new.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,957,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Beside winding up /down some of the older trucks & cars had the front wind shield tip out.. that was country air condition and free..

Some Mercury's of the late 50's had a back window that opened for good air flow.

The roof extended farther and the back window slanted inwards.

Also, most older cars had those small vent windows on the front doors.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Some Mercury's of the late 50's had a back window that opened for good air flow.

The roof extended farther and the back window slanted inwards.

I want to say... 59 --60 ?? Mercury the window slide down behind the rear seat.. I think electric from driver controls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjIuopdBimE <<< 1963

Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,936,000 times
Quote:

My 2014 Toyota Tacoma regular cab has manual windows, manual mirrors, and no cruise control. This model was popular with the Orkin man. It did not have intermittent wipers either, but I upgraded the switch. I also upgraded the radio to a factory radio with HD radio and navigation. If you want classical music in northeast Ohio instead of NPR, you need HD radio.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:06 AM

4,013 posts, read 2,936,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I remember Polio (I had it). I remember sitting on my Dad's shoulders on the sidewalk outside the appliance store watching the first TV in town. I remember my mom singing "Mambo Italiano" and my dad dancing with her every time she did, that song is still stuck in my head.
I remember my mother taking me to the local elementary school to receive the Sabin oral polio vaccine. I think it was the summer of 1961, before I started kindergarten.

We had a kid in school a few grades ahead of me who wore a set of braces on both legs. There were no ADA accommodations in those days. He had to go up and down the stairs to the second floor like the rest of us. I heard that he fell down the stairs one day, sounding like a train wreck. He got a special recognition award at an assembly. The kids gave him a standing ovation.

This was before mainstreaming. There were a lot of kids with disabilities at my nephew's graduation. I asked my sister what they did with those children back in our day. She did not know either.

I saw a kid in my high school with no arms; just hands at his shoulders. I am guessing he was a Thalidomide baby. While Thalidomide was not approved in the US, it had been used in research studies. There were about 900 Thalidomide babies as a result. Still a lot better than the thousands they had in Europe.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,674,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

The small vent windows in the front doors of cars held out till at least the 80s. I think eventually the electric windows played a factor into eliminating them. I still kind of miss them.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,659,282 times
Quote:
The small vent windows in the front doors of cars held out till at least the 80s. I think eventually the electric windows played a factor into eliminating them. I still kind of miss them.
Apparently the Vent windows were a "Security issue" You could pop them out and get into the car too easily.

A friend's dad had a lincoln Continental in the late 60s. All electric windows. Even the vent windows were electric

Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM

761 posts, read 599,101 times
The first Russian Sputnik

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics