Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 05:58 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times

Advertisements

Northwoods remember all those. But last year visiting my daughter and family, our youngest and I were on the couch w/her parents and she said "Grandma were you alive when apples were invented?"

Sure I said-think bananas were around too.

Thought OMG the kid thinks I'm really older than dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 06:01 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
Well, aren't we?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Yep-apparently to them.

Happy Easter all.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I remember when soda came in glass bottles in the upright machine with the necks sticking out, you had to put your money in and then you could pull the bottle out by the neck. AND the machines that were coolers with a life top, either red Coca Cola ones or the red Dr. Pepper ones, there was a place on the side to pull the cap off the bottle and a pace to deposit 5 cents to pay for your drink.

I remember when our favorite barbeque place in Texas had sawdust on the floor, before the fire cheif got his panties in a wad and made them get rid of it.

I remember when the $2 bill came out in the 70s and the Susan B Anthony coin as well.

I remember when polyester was in style and the first time bell bottoms were in as well. Platform shows and the leisure suit. Those glasses that were so huge it made people look like owls. When African Americans had those great fros. God I miss disco.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
And then there were the soda machines in a 'chest type' where the bottles had to be slid along a metal barrier and then could be lifted up and out. The bottles were in cold water. And yes, the opener was on the front/side of this big box like machine.

Music was on 78 rpm's. Record players were called 'Victrolas'. Even remember one friend of my grandmother who had a machine that played music on cylinders. Now that was an antique!

Book matches had the 'striker' on the front, not the back as they do now.

An aunt owned a car called a 'Henry J'. Those didn't last long.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
You know what's missing from this thread? CANDY!

Big Boogie!

Wax soda bottles with sweet water in them.

"paper dots" we called the sheets of paper with the dots of sugar candy on them.

I'll wager you remember some, too.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:56 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Outdoor observation deck at Washington DC's National Airport where you could watch Pan Am and Eastern Airlines three tail "super connies"

WOW, the old three tail Constellations, I remember seeing the first jet fighter out of Andrews Air Force Base.

The insulated box on the front porch for the Thompson's Dairy milk delivery. And the milk that came with the cream on top.

Harvey Dairy, Chevy Chase Chestnut Farms Dairy, Annapolis Dairy which later became Green Springs Dairy, in the wintertime the cream would freeze in the top of the bottle and pushed the cardboard top up.

The first color TV in the neighborhood with its round screen, at my friend's house. I remember seeing the opening of Bonanza in color on that set - Wow!! My friend's dad also bought a new Packard every year.

We had the first TV in the neighborhood, it was a DuMont, I remember Ranger Hal Show, Picked Temple Show, The Howdy Doody Show.

I worked in an Esso gas station where we checked the oil and cleaned your window when we put gas in your car (no self serve). I also patched tire tubes there. Esso Extra was 39.9. I wore blue uniform pants and shirt with an Esso logo and my name on it.

In our neighborhood you to get Esso gas for $.25 a gallon.

There were six well attended services on Sunday at the church where we went.

The swingset in our backyard that my grandfather had made out of steel pipe.

Riding on magnificent Baltimore & Ohio Railroad passenger trains.

Dad putting me and Mom in the Oldsmobile and driving around the neighborhood at Christmas to look at everybody's colorful lights.

I better stop now...
On the second Wednesday of each month was in school training for teachers,we would go across the street to the movie theater and see two double features and a serial and cartoons and get a large bag of popcorn and a soda for $.45,after the movies were over, we would go next door to the drugstore and go up to soda fountain and get a five cent cherry coke.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:23 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
On the second Wednesday of each month was in school training for teachers,we would go across the street to the movie theater and see two double features and a serial and cartoons and get a large bag of popcorn and a soda for $.45,after the movies were over, we would go next door to the drugstore and go up to soda fountain and get a five cent cherry coke.
I was on both the Ranger Hal Show (Up a Lazy River by the Old Mill Stream...) and the Pick Temple Show where I sat in the "Peanut Gallery" I remember one kid was removed from the set because he had loud "caps" in his toy gun (when you were supposed to shoot at the "snake" that poked its head out of a hole in the wall).

We used to buy rolls of "caps" at the Wheaton News Stand, where they were kept under the counter, which of course added to their allure

We used to go to the Kresges in Silver Spring to get a big bag of popcorn before going to the Silver Theater down the street. Popcorn was cheaper there but you had to hide the big bag under your coat. I think they must have known. SS Kresges had wooden floors that creaked when you walked on them and when you went in the store smelled wonderfully of the popcorn and hot nuts that were for sale there.

AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center (http://www.afi.com/silver/new/about/history.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I was on both the Ranger Hal Show (Up a Lazy River by the Old Mill Stream...) and the Pick Temple Show where I sat in the "Peanut Gallery" I remember one kid was removed from the set because he had loud "caps" in his toy gun (when you were supposed to shoot at the "snake" that poked its head out of a hole in the wall).

We used to buy rolls of "caps" at the Wheaton News Stand, where they were kept under the counter, which of course added to their allure

We used to go to the Kresges in Silver Spring to get a big bag of popcorn before going to the Silver Theater down the street. Popcorn was cheaper there but you had to hide the big bag under your coat. I think they must have known. SS Kresges had wooden floors that creaked when you walked on them and when you went in the store smelled wonderfully of the popcorn and hot nuts that were for sale there.
Talk about a small world,I was in that peanut gallery also and I have some of his old 45 records,and I went up that Lazy River by the old Mill Stream too with Ranger Hal. I went to Capital Heights Elementary School,the movie theater was across the street from the school,between the firehouse and the drug store and on the opposite corner was the Esso gas station and across from that was the DGS food store, and down from the food store was the Ben Franklin 5 and 10 cent store.
Just a little side note,Pick Temple had a house over in Cheverly, Maryland,Just before you went up the hill to Prince George's County Hospital.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:38 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I remember Esso gas stations.
We still have them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics