Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 11:35 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,671,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I remember when we had one remote (if lucky) and a TV. You change channels and immediately get the next channel on screen. Now you need about 3 remotes to control this and that digital devices. No channels are on the numbers they should be on and they take about 10 seconds to finally show up once you change a channel.

Not everything is great about digital.
When I was a kid, I was the "remote"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,467,120 times
I'm so old I remember... When all movies.. theater or drive-inn had no rating except... OK or B

Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,413,368 times
......I remember watch faces that glowed in the dark. The numbers were painted with radium that absorbed light and then glowed in the dark. Many of those employed to paint the watch faces later died of cancer, as did Marie Curie, the discoverer of radium.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:22 PM

32,868 posts, read 36,214,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I remember when Dad would let me stand between his legs and steer the car while he drove. That probably would be considered a form of child abuse today, but it was a huge thrill for a six-year-old.

I remember when electric sockets didn't care which way you inserted the plug.

I remember when you could actually buy something with a penny.

I remember when postage stamps cost three cents.

I remember the Helms Bakery truck stopping on our street, the driver opening the back and pulling out polished blonde wood drawers full of fragrant treats and Mom buying me a glazed donut for a nickel.

I remember thinking that "The Mickey Mouse Club" really was a club and that any kid could just show up at the studio and be on the show.

I remember when every AM radio had a mark on the dial for Conelrad, the Government's emergency channel.

I remember when you dimmed the headlights of your car with your foot, using a button on the floor.
Damn, we are now old. I remember all of those things.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,983,435 times
hand clutches on the new tractors on display ( John Deere and Minneapolis Moline )

No live pto or live hydraulics on new tractors ( many/most tractors in the early 50's )

Old 07-11-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
hand clutches on the new tractors on display ( John Deere and Minneapolis Moline )

No live pto or live hydraulics on new tractors ( many/most tractors in the early 50's )
And the " Hand Crank " and fly wheels on the side..

Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 PM

I'm so old I remember... On a cold winters day.. helping out in the milking parlor.. I was elected to smear bag balm on the cows teats..

Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 PM

I was a dairy farmer nearly all my life but didn't milk my first cow via milking machine until I was 37 years old.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 PM

I cut oats with a tractor and grain binder and shocked oat bundles until 1969. ( switched over to using a swather and combine )
I pitched oat bundles into the threshing machine that did the threshing for 6 of us neighbors and we all helped out at each others farm ( known as the " threshing ring" )

Nobody paid admission to watch us, either.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:12 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,403,177 times
i remember when long distance calls were so expensive you would only make them on special occasions, and for a short period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I worked at water and sewer plants until I retired this year. When testing drinking water with Colisure media, if the media fluoresced blue under UV light, the sample was positive for E. coli. I used to tell people that the long wavelength UV light we used was just like the one they had on their Elvis poster.
those same type of lights are great for hunting scorpions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
......I remember watch faces that glowed in the dark. The numbers were painted with radium that absorbed light and then glowed in the dark. Many of those employed to paint the watch faces later died of cancer, as did Marie Curie, the discoverer of radium.
somewhere i heard that it was common practice for the folks (usually women) who were painting those tiny numbers with tiny brushes to frequently wet the brushes on the tongue to make the points fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics