Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times

Advertisements

I'm so old I remember...

The " NON" Electric old time cash register... the clang... of the sale.. as the cashier pushed the buttons in and turned the crank handle on the side.. and the tomb stone numbers popped up.. and the tone of the ring when the cash draw came out..
as the cashier counted the change back to the customer with a salutation of " Thank You " and " Have a nice day"... " Sir " - " Madam"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 10:24 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I'm so old I remember:
This morning when going out for coffee and ordering a cup at Wendy's, the clerk provided it and said have a nice day. I looked at him and asked ~ but how much is the coffee? He replied "it's free", "Wendys appreciates seniors". Why did I have to ask and be reminded! Please don't tell others because I don't want them changing the policy, it could be just a local thing at the nearby location here maybe........

Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm so old, I remember our first microwave.

I remember TV without a VCR or remote control.

I remember Pong and Atari.

I remember the Flip Wilson show and the Sonny and Cher show.

I remember when Disney was only on Sunday night at 7pm.

I remember when Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons were in prime time.

The first president I remember is Nixon and Watergate.

I remember when my favorite music was The Best of Bread on 8 track.

I remember Esso gas stations.
I remember all the "antiques" they are selling, taking apart and "repurposing" on "flea market flip" on HGTV - omg I'm so old. They completely destroyed a 70's banana bike and made it into a creepy "Phoebe" photo from friends - weird and sad all at the same time.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
I am so old I remember when Politicians and world leaders compromised and tried to work together.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I remember as a child being allowed to pull the lever once when we made a purchase. A few places had air powered tubes. In Wooster, an employee put a live mouse in the container and sent it to a female worker once. That building still stands, but I do not know whether the tube system is in place, let alone operating.
I saw hydraulic tubes in a very few places. I do remember that the St. Louis Public Library used them, at least in my memory. And in a old department store in TX, I saw them used. I don't know when they began to be in use, or when they fell out of use. Interesting memory.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I remember:

Root beer floats at the drive in A & W

The Arthur Godfrey show on radio, and then on TV

Making Kool Aid on sweltering summer days

Playing at recess on a graveled playground at school. Getting badly skinned knees after falling on a graveled playground at school.

Dick and Jane, and Dot and Jim readers in the first grade

Walking to school along a busy road, and being instructed to never, ever get into a car with anyone, ever.

Enjoying the wonders of a local Ben Franklin dime store within walking distance of my house.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:55 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I remember:

Root beer floats at the drive in A & W

The Arthur Godfrey show on radio, and then on TV

Making Kool Aid on sweltering summer days

Playing at recess on a graveled playground at school. Getting badly skinned knees after falling on a graveled playground at school.

Dick and Jane, and Dot and Jim readers in the first grade

Walking to school along a busy road, and being instructed to never, ever get into a car with anyone, ever.

Enjoying the wonders of a local Ben Franklin dime store within walking distance of my house.
Good post.....reminds me of my childhood in Youngstown, Ohio in the 1950's.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:00 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,789,744 times
I remember having to defrost the freezer on my refrigerator when I moved out on my own when I was 16. They had frost-free fridges by then but some of us couldn't afford them and still had to remove all the contents, chip away at the ice carefully and even placed a small fan on something tall enough to blow into the freezer to speed up the process. Ah the good ol' days.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I am so old I remember when Politicians and world leaders compromised and tried to work together.
I remember those days as well.

I also remember when elections, like wars, were actually won or lost and all hostilities would end. It seems that elections and wars these days are much like fighting popups on a PC, i.e. the hostilities continue until everything crashes.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:47 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
I'm so old I remember...

Old time Voting Machine... the " Curtain " ... the " Knob " ... and the " Lever you pulled " and for us kids... just after Holloweeine .. the Politician would show up after dinner.. " HE" had candy bars stashed in his suite coat pocket... now if you were a real P.I.T.A .. winey ... a real brat.. The politician would pull out the " Candy Bar.. here.. Now go away< Politicians body langue... so I can shovel S to your parents..
Finish the candy bar.. time for another one.. lets be clingy.. and a Brat again.. Some times I could score 2-3 candy bars...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics