U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM
 
16,479 posts, read 11,770,887 times
Reputation: 15777

Advertisements

Yep I wore nylons with garter straps. When pantyhose was invented it was a really big deal for women. I don't want to get too personal here, but the garter strap thing also remind me of the old time sanitary pads and the belt you had to wear to keep them on, ugh.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: In the real world.
19,073 posts, read 3,909,299 times
Reputation: 9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Yep I wore nylons with garter straps. When pantyhose was invented it was a really big deal for women. I don't want to get too personal here, but the garter strap thing also remind me of the old time sanitary pads and the belt you had to wear to keep them on, ugh.
I can remember my mother, aunts and grandmother with their corsets/girdles.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 9,850,718 times
Reputation: 4611
Now men use grater belts and girdles for back supports.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
 
Location: In the real world.
19,073 posts, read 3,909,299 times
Reputation: 9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Now men use grater belts and girdles for back supports.
I knew they would come in handy for something.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 9,850,718 times
Reputation: 4611
What were those things called that women wore at waist level under a dress. They tightened and tied it in front like you do shoes?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM
 
Location: In the real world.
19,073 posts, read 3,909,299 times
Reputation: 9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
What were those things called that women wore at waist level under a dress. They tightened and tied it in front like you do shoes?
Corsets?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 AM
 
Location: Southwestern Ohio
4,104 posts, read 4,194,312 times
Reputation: 1559
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
Corsets?
That would be my guess as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 1,639,917 times
Reputation: 1049
Default girdles

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I can remember my mother, aunts and grandmother with their corsets/girdles.

It was a must to wear a girdle. Then panty girdles came into fashion. We were not allowed to jiggle one bit. The bras were pointy things, and those that had them were right out there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM
 
Location: fla
1,512 posts, read 1,934,822 times
Reputation: 696
READING this thread makes me feel old--i OWNED a studebaker,remember the horse drawn vegetable guy--had milk delivered in glass bottles from the farm up the road,bought penny candy,used an outhouse as the only bathroom,bathed in a large metal tub with water heated on the kitchen coal stove,picked grapes from the backyard and helped make the wine by jumping into a concrete tub,using our feet to press the grapes,carrying the wine to a cellar that had large wooden barrels(and stunk),having a party line(eavesdropping was an art form),berry picking behind my house,drinking from a mt spring(be4 it became contaminated)----------sigh-----i could go on--great times then(even poor as churchmice)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
 
Location: In the real world.
19,073 posts, read 3,909,299 times
Reputation: 9217
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
READING this thread makes me feel old--i OWNED a studebaker,remember the horse drawn vegetable guy--had milk delivered in glass bottles from the farm up the road,bought penny candy,used an outhouse as the only bathroom,bathed in a large metal tub with water heated on the kitchen coal stove,picked grapes from the backyard and helped make the wine by jumping into a concrete tub,using our feet to press the grapes,carrying the wine to a cellar that had large wooden barrels(and stunk),having a party line(eavesdropping was an art form),berry picking behind my house,drinking from a mt spring(be4 it became contaminated)----------sigh-----i could go on--great times then(even poor as churchmice)
I know we were not financially well off (just made ends meet) put we never thought we were poor. We always had a good, fun life.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top