Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 AM

41,717 posts, read 74,654,678 times

Advertisements

I'm so old I remember my mom literally sobbing on summer afternoons when she realized she forgot to take the milk, which was delivered that morning by a nice uniformed gentleman in a clean, marked dairy truck, out of the milkbox. We also had bread and eggs delivered. And sometimes groceries, which arrived at the house via a cute teenage neighborhood boy.

I'm so old I remember thinking that five minutes was an endless amount of time, because that's how long it took the TV to warm up in the mornings in order for me to watch Captain Kangaroo.

I remember gas being 24 cents a gallon, and being sent to the store with a dime to buy a loaf of bread. Mom would also send me to the store with a quarter to buy a pack of cigarettes. The store owner knew us, and also knew I'd have one sore 5-year-old behind if I didn't deliver the pack unopened.

We had a party line with our neighbors across the street. Fun listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I remember my girlfriends and I going to the movies for about eighteen Friday nights in a row to see that cute blond guy in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."
(The other guy was too old)
That's because the other guy improved with age. Exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,487,419 times
Default Visual Aids!!

Some of you may know that I've been scanning photos and other items from my mothers albums. Here are two things that were mine when I was a little younger. BTW I am approaching 1300 scans!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Savings Bond.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	17032

Click image for larger version

Name:	Patrol Member.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	17033

Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM

969 posts, read 2,840,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
I also remember, Felix The Cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat !!!
Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks

Old 03-28-2008, 05:52 PM

5 posts, read 20,307 times
Herb Shriner....The Shadow Knows....Party lines on the telephones....(your neighbors could eavesdrop on your conversations) Round metal tub bathes with heated water from the stove....reading comic books .. 10cents and trading them....candy bars for a nickle... Candidate Stevenson and his worn out shoe on the cover of Look...Snooky Lanson........never have gotten older....just as impatient with myself but MUCH more patient with people...and more discerning. Samortiz2@aol.com

Old 03-28-2008, 05:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
I remember red Coca-Cola machines with the irresistible door - you'd pull the door open (it was always firmly tight) and grasp your bottle by its neck and pull it out through some metal grips.
I think those were little 6-ounce bottles, too! Maybe 8 oz.?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,005,160 times
Quote:
I remember red Coca-Cola machines with the irresistible door - you'd pull the door open (it was always firmly tight) and grasp your bottle by its neck and pull it out through some metal grips.
That original Coke bottle (I loved those machines) was 6.5 ounces. That is why when Pepsi started bottling, their bottle was seven ounces ... and so the cola wars began!

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,620,641 times
Quote:
that was a 7 ounce Coke and on the bottom of the bottle they had the name of the state and city of the distributors.......CMTD, where those 6.5 ounce bottles,I must've been thinking about the Pepsi bottles,but the Coca-Cola bottles had the state and city in the bottom of the bottle..... I remember getting one that had Memphis, Tennessee on the bottom of it and I thought,WOW, that's where Elvis Presley lives....

Last edited by ptsum; 03-28-2008 at 06:24 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 PM

16,547 posts, read 17,310,562 times
In Yorkshire back in the 1960s we had a delivery van bringing 'pop' and my mum used to get Dandelion and Burdock.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:10 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,620,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
In Yorkshire back in the 1960s we had a delivery van bringing 'pop' and my mum used to get Dandelion and Burdock.
just curious, what did that taste like?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,157,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
I remember going to business school and besides studying typing and shorthand like a good girl should, I also studied the usage of a machine called a comptometer...
My dad went to what he called business school. Learned typing and book keeping and such. As a young man he worked in a paint store (Butler-Flynn in Washington DC). He could drive the truck, keep the books and sell paint in the store. When the depression came the store manager had to lay off two of his three employees. Dad got to stay because he could do all the jobs. That's a lesson he frequently expressed to me. Served me well in later years.

When Pearl Harbor happened dad was drafted and on one of his first days in boot camp, the sergeant had his draftees assembled and asked for "three men who can type." Dad was proud of his skill and threw his hand up. Then the sergeant took dad and two others and had them dig a 50yd long trench But dad said that he had learned one of the most valuable lessons about the Army in the first few days, _never_ volunteer for anything! And that lesson served him well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics