Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,406,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnt.starling View Post
I'm so old, I remember actually going into a business & filling out an application for employment. Nowadays, it is expected of you to go online and fill out a "pre-application", before filling out the actual "on-line" application. And if that pans out, then maybe you might get a call back for an interview. Wow,
Quote:
I sure miss the days where you could just walk in, fill out an application
, and if you were lucky you were able to get interviewed right there and then (although I was really shy & crossed my fingers they didn't do that right away). I also understand in today's world its just tough all over and too many people per job.
Using a #2 pencil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 AM

513 posts, read 895,977 times
I remember "Electric company" with Letter man, on PBS. "Zoom" with bernedette and her really neat Arm twist trick... I thought I was really cool when I figured out how to do it, haha. I loved tuning in to "Romper Room" (I was actually on it for a week when I was 4) Miss Jo was the host and Do Bee was a character on the show. Some fun memories

Old 03-23-2011, 11:30 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,562,848 times
I'm so old I remember when the USA actually WAS the best country in ther world. That's not supposed to be political in ANY way, just a fact!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm so old I remember when the USA actually WAS the best country in ther world. That's not supposed to be political in ANY way, just a fact!
There's no argument there.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM

987 posts, read 1,743,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Using a #2 pencil.
mkfarnam, I forgot to tell you, I thought I knew Cari, it turned out I confused her w/another fellow classmate, Kari Leuber (formerly Strudler), now that should say how old I am, because I am completely blind and senile at that oh well I tried, still those names sound awfully familiar to me.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,342,020 times
I remember playing with Silly String lol...I remember using my imagination after we got hone from school....Went out all day and played outside until it got dark out! I remember watching Davey & Goliath and remembering the "moral" of the story....

I remember having to get out of my car and open the garage door since remotes weren't invented yet!

I remember when Christmas was Christmas and not so politically correct like nowadays!!

Rotary telephones!!

3-4 stations on TV!No cable!lol..
Picking Xmas gifts out in a catalog...

I remember playing punch bug in the back seat on long trips!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM

I remember when TV channels were free. No monthly bill!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I remember when TV channels were free. No monthly bill!!!
.................................................. ..............
Attached Thumbnails
I'm so old I remember...-rca.gif   I'm so old I remember...-rca_victor_47-8090-.gif   I'm so old I remember...-rca-victor-rcafig2.jpg   I'm so old I remember...-old_zenith.png   I'm so old I remember...-victortalkinglogo.jpg  

Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,629,966 times
I remember the Fuller Brush man selling door to door. I remember an old man in a truck who sharpened tools and cutlery. I remember a guy who sold fruit from a horse drawn wagon. All of this occurred in the 1960's, in Brooklyn NY.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I remember the Fuller Brush man selling door to door. I remember an old man in a truck who sharpened tools and cutlery. I remember a guy who sold fruit from a horse drawn wagon. All of this occurred in the 1960's, in Brooklyn NY.
That's great and it brings back memories. The sharpening men in Toronto walked around pulling their foot powered grinding wheels and ringing a big school bell. My family didn't have a lot of tools or knives but what we did have were really good quality. I remember my mom gave one of these sharpening guys a pair of sissors to sharpen and afterwards you couldn't cut paper with them. LOL, totally ruined. Well my dad decided to teach me to sharpen after that and I've been the sharpening guy ever since. You can shave with any of my knives, I just loath dull tools.

One of my classmates dad was a popcorn man. Popcorn men were all over Toronto in every neighbourhood. They rode their popcorn wagons that were like big boxes attached to a pedal bike. As they rode their charcoal fired popcorn maker blew steam through a whistle that you could hear for a couple of blocks. The kids would come running for their 5 cent bag when they heard the whistle blowing.

WE also had air raid sirens that went off a few times a year. Everyone had to run inside when it went off. Can you imagine? The Russians are dropping the big one on Toronto but we fooled them. It can't hurt us, na,nanana na. We're all inside. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics