Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 AM

5,794 posts, read 13,885,360 times

Advertisements

The first quadraphonic album I remember seeing was 1968's Sunflower by the Beach Boys.
I remember my first stereo 45 as well: The Doors' - Hello, I Love You, also from 1968.
Something else I recall, record-wise, were these teeny little bendable 45's put out by Philco (probably in 1968 !! ). They were about 3" in diameter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
Whazzup SP? '68 is about right; didn't last very long. Called "Hip Pocket Records". Here's a little flashback. My first few 8 track car players after a while would last maybe 2 years for each player. After several hundred hours of play per player, the tape head would wear down and I would use the matchbook trick. The 8 track would not fit cleanly in the machine and I would slide in the end of a matchbook to tighten up the gap caused by the tapehead being a little off.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:25 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,619,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Whazzup SP? '68 is about right; didn't last very long. Called "Hip Pocket Records". Here's a little flashback. My first few 8 track car players after a while would last maybe 2 years for each player. After several hundred hours of play per player, the tape head would wear down and I would use the matchbook trick. The 8 track would not fit cleanly in the machine and I would slide in the end of a matchbook to tighten up the gap caused by the tapehead being a little off.
Hey I thought I invented that trick!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,008,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
the matchbook trick. The 8 track would not fit cleanly in the machine and I would slide in the end of a matchbook to tighten up the gap caused by the tapehead being a little off.
!!! I would have gone the rest of my life without remembering that, but, yes! Wow.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:10 PM

969 posts, read 2,840,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
!!! I would have gone the rest of my life without remembering that, but, yes! Wow.

Well - if you go back a few years - the record (Victrola) needle would be getting dull and the album would get scratches that made the arm jump - but if you glued/taped a quarter to the arm it would make it work a little longer.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM

24,275 posts, read 25,774,010 times
Hhmmm,
Mom shoveling coal in the furnace on cold mornings and smacking rats with the coal shovel.
The noon and curfew whistle in the small town I lived in.
Helping my uncle test radio tubes when he got in a new shipment.
Playing hide n go seek in the summer.
Seeing my Dad for the first time when he returned from WWII.
Lots more.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,157,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
... whatever happened to our "Permanent Record"?! ...
I have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Madman comics, pop sickles, big buggie candy, school lunchboxes, and I remember the principle’s office.
I went to Catholic elementary school with scary nuns like the one in The Blues Brothers. The children all knew about a "spanking machine" that was kept somewhere around the principle's office. It was greatly feared by all - supposedly if you were really bad you would be taken away and be subjected to it. Although I didn't know anyone who had actually seen it. One day a few of us were in the hall outside the offices. The door was open and inside there was another open door to a small room. And in there was a machine with a spinning part going round and round, clackity clack. Yikes!! We took off running because we had seen the SPANKING MACHINE and we were afraid someone would come out of the office and grab one of us!!

I learned way later what we had seen was a mimeograph machine

Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,460,620 times
I had forgotten all about "Quadraphonic sound", and I worked at one of the early radio stations that broadcast in "4 Channel Stereo". I remember setting up the display at the local County Fair. One column speaker in each corner of our 12 x 12 area, and I had to talk with all the people who stopped by in the center of the square, or you lost the effect.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:56 PM

18,139 posts, read 25,671,871 times
rrtechno-whazzup? Quadraphonic had promise when it first was introduced to the music buyer. I still have my Pioneer QX-4000 4 channel receiver that I bought in November of 1972. Plays fine, have it hooked up in the rec room. I think the reason for it not catching on, IMHO, was the different record companies calling it quad matrix, quad discreet, or as RCA would call it, quadradisc. The quad LP's were compatible to stereo units, of course, and they only cost a dollar more per LP. I think the public got a little confused with quad this and quad that and just said to heck with it and just went to LP's in general.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,129,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Apparently Bush wasn't in your class!
He may have been, but I don't think he ever learned to read...LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics