Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,692,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
We were so lucky to get to enjoy cars when they had style and bravado. All that wonderful chrome and heft.

Now most cars look alike and have no more personality that a church mouse. (but not all)
Looks like a Rolls behind that Studebaker. They really do all look the same these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,892,200 times
Oh yes...lack of chrome today
For those who still have a car with some chrome a simple cleaning product is still on the MKT and in your fridge called Coca Cola. Pour a little in a small container...dip in 0000 fine steel wool and wipe lightly then rinse off with garden hose. Learned this off a VW forum and it works on some rust also. Another chromecleaner I have is a spray bottle of whitewall cleaner...spray on and hose off..no water spots.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 04-28-2017 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Add info

Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,459,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
You are probably right. I know I sure missed them when I was smoking.
Never fail... you flick you cig out the vent.. and it would cart wheel and land on the felt weather strip base of the widow.. if you crank the window down.. or.. you would miss the vent and drop it on the floor.. ... those vents so handy...just enough air..

Old 04-30-2017, 06:07 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,687,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Never fail... you flick you cig out the vent.. and it would cart wheel and land on the felt weather strip base of the widow.. if you crank the window down.. or.. you would miss the vent and drop it on the floor.. ... those vents so handy...just enough air..
Hadn't thought of that for years but you described it perfectly.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,981,046 times
Fender skirts have been around a long time.

( my dad's " big boat" 48 Buick had them )

Why did they quit?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Hadn't thought of that for years but you described it perfectly.
You know your having a bad day heading to work... when the cigarette does the cart wheel thing.. and you spill your coffee in your lap... ( this is before travel mugs and cup holders ) and your coffee mug is your little girls craft made... the one she made you for fathers day.. so you light up another cigarette.. waiting for the lighter to "POP" out.. suck in the smoke and life is grand again.. and as you pull the cig away.. it sticks to your lip and your fingers pull off that glowing ember.. you watch it fall to the floor as your watching the road...

Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 PM

I'm so old I remember... the 4 way lug wrench.. the one you could really use. Remember the " Clank " when throwing a lug nut into a real " Metal Hub Cap" .. and no scissor jack in those days.. It was the 40 pound bumper jack... J shaped that fit in the slot under the REAL Chrome Metal Bumper.. and flip the switch for " UP " or "DOWN" and .. Jack.. took some effort.. just make sure the vehicle did not go side ways on you..very scary when it would start to lean.. Now move to two large 40 pound bags of rock salt or sand out of your way.. along with the jumper cables and tire chains and the snow brush.. and now lift the panel up and reach over and down and pull that 1 ton REAL spare tire out and out of the well.. hoist it over the edge of the trunk.. full size tire.. NOT a P15/234 it was a 15x10 white wall Good Year with a very heavy steel rim.. rusty but steel. Time for another Chesterfield... wheeze.... cough...

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 04-30-2017 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 09:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,689,372 times
Great story, Tin Man. I still spin a 4-way lug wrench whenever I have a flat. AAA takes about 45 minutes to arrive in our area, so there is no need to call them when it takes about 10 minutes to change a flat.

I remember that our spare tires weren't very good; actually, they were pretty bad, just the best one of the last 4 bald tires you replaced. After you put on the spare you had 3 really nice looking tires and one old, bald, dirty, ugly, tire. Those retreads did look nice, until the cap separated and whacked the bejesus out of your fender.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Great story, Tin Man. I still spin a 4-way lug wrench whenever I have a flat. AAA takes about 45 minutes to arrive in our area, so there is no need to call them when it takes about 10 minutes to change a flat.

I remember that our spare tires weren't very good; actually, they were pretty bad, just the best one of the last 4 bald tires you replaced. After you put on the spare you had 3 really nice looking tires and one old, bald, dirty, ugly, tire. Those retreads did look nice, until the cap separated and whacked the bejesus out of your fender.
Forgot about those recaps... JC Whitney had a hot tool for putting new grooves in the tire.. once you hit the Rayon Cord.. you were done.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:44 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,203,530 times
I remember when they signed the truce for the Korean Conflict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics