Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM

3,064 posts, read 1,678,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all!

Welcome to Today’s Questions for Wednesday January 31st. Nothing to report today. Just trying to get through it all.

Today’s theme is “I get around.”

Today's Question(s):
Do you have a travel story of things that just went all wrong? We've been very lucky. The only unfortunate story I can tell was a mid-week drive to the beach to celebrate our 20th wedding ann. Husband wasn't feeling well before we left but we were halfway to the coast when he realized that he was having a kidney stone attack! So we spent two days holed up in the room (could hear the tide from our windows). On the 3rd day we did a little bit but we never bothered to open that special bottle of wine. Now, last year I combined a pleasure road trip to CA with a stop to visit my family. Let's just say that I got reminded of why I never do this. Won't happen again.

Do you have a pleasant travel story of things that went as planned? Yep, the Northern Arizona road trip. We made it back on time and there were no negatives to it, other than find ourselves in Reno, NV with NO vacancies to be found (ended up pulling over to the side of the road to nap not far from Crater Lake).

If you don’t travel much, do you have an interesting story of just getting from point A to point B?

Bonus Question(s):
Have you traveled to a continent other than the one you were born in? Nope.

Is there a place you have traveled to for pleasure on more than one occasion? Yes, several.

Where would you like to have a second home? California but can't afford it. Lake Havasu, AZ, then.

Where have you never been that you would love to see? Australia

Have you ever been to the country of your ancestors? Nope. My brothers have many times.

Is there a nearby place, just a few minutes away from home, you like to go to just for a quick getaway? No, not that close.

Just for fun:
Have you ever been in/on a: None of these. A pogo stick was one thing my mother was not going to let me have.
unicycle?
pogo stick?
hover board?
hot air balloon?
segue?

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Thanks, Pats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 04:21 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,317 times
Today's Question(s):
Do you have a travel story of things that just went all wrong? The only time I can think of was once coming back from a day trip to Maine, my car broke down. It was a little after 1am. Police were no help & you know I don't have a phone. Luckily there was a gas station where I was able to call my daughter who was living only about an hour away.

Do you have a pleasant travel story of things that went as planned? One of my sisters and I drove to PEI about six years ago. Lovely trip there and back.

If you don’t travel much, do you have an interesting story of just getting from point A to point B? I don't travel much, but when I do, I usually get lost several times along the way. I don't mind getting lost as I've seen some beautiful places on these "detours."

Bonus Question(s):
Have you traveled to a continent other than the one you were born in? Haven't

Is there a place you have traveled to for pleasure on more than one occasion? Maine, Florida

Where would you like to have a second home? On a lake not far from where I live or on the ocean in Maine.

Where have you never been that you would love to see? New Zealand, Italy, Scotland

Have you ever been to the country of your ancestors? England, no.

Is there a nearby place, just a few minutes away from home, you like to go to just for a quick getaway? Saint Gaudens, on Sundays in the summer to sit under the trees and listen to live music.

Just for fun:
Have you ever been in/on a:
unicycle? Hahaha..... Imagining myself on a unicycle.
pogo stick?
hover board? Still laughing
hot air balloon? Would like to
segue? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway..._Polizei_4.jpg
pennyfarthing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-..._bicycle01.jpg
I don't think I could even get on one of those!

Today's Word:
tender
Pronunciation: (ten
-der)
Meaning: noun:
1. a person who tends; a person who attends to or takes charge of someone or something.
2. an auxiliary ship employed to attend one or more other ships, as for supplying provisions.
3. a dinghy carried or towed by a yacht.
4. Railroads. a car attached to a steam locomotive for carrying fuel and water.
Origin: 1425-75; late Middle English; orig. aphetic variant of attender

Quote of the Day:
"Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward.” ~ Carol Channing ~

Thanx for playing everyone. Thank you, Pat!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:16 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Mornin' all!
Evenin'

Today's Question(s):
Do you have a travel story of things that just went all wrong?
Nothing major.
Do you have a pleasant travel story of things that went as planned?
Many pleasant trips with both planned and
serendipitous experiences.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you traveled to a continent other than the one you were born in?
Yep.
Is there a place you have traveled to for pleasure on more than one occasion?
Gulf coast
Where would you like to have a second home?
Oahu?
Where have you never been that you would love to see?
Wouldn't mind seeing the Grand Canyon.
Have you ever been to the country of your ancestors?
Which country? I've been to England and Canada and have ancestors from both.
Is there a nearby place, just a few minutes away from home, you like to go to just for a quick getaway?
My home is my getaway.

Just for fun:
unicycle? N
pogo stick? Y
hover board?
hot air balloon?
segue? N
pennyfarthing? N

Quote of the Day:
"Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward.”
~ Carol Channing ~

Thanx for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
And you.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,117 times
Evenin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Do you have a travel story of things that just went all wrong?
"Everything" didn't go wrong, but we went on a cruise and I spent much of it drugged up and sleeping through the motion sickness.

Do you have a pleasant travel story of things that went as planned?
I don't.

If you don’t travel much, do you have an interesting story of just getting from point A to point B?
I do not.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you traveled to a continent other than the one you were born in?
I have not.

Is there a place you have traveled to for pleasure on more than one occasion?
Nova Scotia.

Where would you like to have a second home?
Nova Scotia!

Where have you never been that you would love to see?
Egypt, Iceland, more of Canada.

Have you ever been to the country of your ancestors?
Not the ones that came from far away. There is a possibility that I've always been in the country of some of my ancestors. I'll know for sure when I get my DNA test back.

Is there a nearby place, just a few minutes away from home, you like to go to just for a quick getaway?
The Indiana Dunes State Park and National Lakeshore is very nice.

Just for fun:
unicycle? No
pogo stick? I have tried it...unsuccessfully.
hover board? I have not.
hot air balloon? I have not.
segue? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway..._Polizei_4.jpg No.
pennyfarthing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-..._bicycle01.jpg Nope.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1936 "Green Hornet" radio show is 1st heard on WXYZ Radio in Detroit
Birthday: 1923 Carol Channing, U.S. singer, actor
Pop Culture: 1990 1st McDonalds in Russia opens in Moscow, world's biggest McDonalds
Science/Technology: 2013 NASA reveals the Regolith Advanced Surface Systems Operations Robot (RASSOR), a lunar mining robot which could be used to produce fuel and water directly on the Moon
Sports: 2015 New Zealand professional golfer Lydia Ko, age 17, becomes the youngest No. 1 ranked golfer in the world, beating the record set by Tiger Woods in 1997 at age 21

Today's Word:
tender
Pronunciation: (ten-der)
Meaning: noun:
1. a person who tends; a person who attends to or takes charge of someone or something.
2. an auxiliary ship employed to attend one or more other ships, as for supplying provisions.
3. a dinghy carried or towed by a yacht.
4. Railroads. a car attached to a steam locomotive for carrying fuel and water.
Origin: 1425-75; late Middle English; orig. aphetic variant of attender

Today Is:
Backward Day !?tahW
Brandy Alexander Day
Gorilla Suit Day
Hot Chocolate Day
Inspire Your Heart With Art Day I've been trying to do more drawing, myself.

Quote of the Day:
"Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward.” ~ Carol Channing ~

Thanx again everyone.
Have a great day!

Old 01-31-2018, 06:48 PM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Mornin' all! Sorry I am so late today! Was at a work thing all day and not near a computer.

Welcome to Today’s Questions for Wednesday January 31st. Nothing to report today. Just trying to get through it all.

Today's Question(s):
Do you have a travel story of things that just went all wrong? No. I usually expect things to go wrong, and then when they don't, I am happy!

Do you have a pleasant travel story of things that went as planned? Yes. Two years ago I flew to Europe to meet my daughter who had been living in Asia for more than a year. She put together the AirBnbs where we stayed, planned the train trips to travel from Amsterdam to Paris and then London, and the flights home. It was a wonderful way to reunite after not seeing my kid for more than a year.

If you don’t travel much, do you have an interesting story of just getting from point A to point B? I do, but too long to tell here. That would be traveling from New York City home to New Jersey on September 11, 2001.

Bonus Question(s):
Have you traveled to a continent other than the one you were born in? Just Europe, as noted above.

Is there a place you have traveled to for pleasure on more than one occasion? Ontario, Canada. I visit there regularly. Used to go to Florida a couple of times a year many years ago for family visits.

Where would you like to have a second home? Vermont.

Where have you never been that you would love to see? Australia, Argentina, and Ireland. Also Alaska.

Have you ever been to the country of your ancestors? Yes! In the trip to Europe in 2015. I am of Dutch and English descent. Visited both countries that trip.

Is there a nearby place, just a few minutes away from home, you like to go to just for a quick getaway? The Atlantic Ocean, which is about five miles away.

Just for fun:
unicycle?
pogo stick?
hover board?
hot air balloon?
segue? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segway..._Polizei_4.jpg
pennyfarthing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny-..._bicycle01.jpg

Just a pogo stick, but that was a looong time ago!

Thank you, PatsCats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics