U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:00 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

30,678 posts, read 23,769,898 times

Advertisements

March is arriving already and off we go with another set of . . .

Today's Question(s):
We've all approached road construction or an accident clean up where one lane ends. Then
you often see some drivers take the closing lane until they can't go forward without another
driver giving them a break to let them back into the lane that's still open.

I know a few people who think it's a form of "cheating" to knowingly take the closing lane.
Do you agree, and why or why not?

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break?

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly?

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word?

Extra:
About how many times in a week do you go to the grocery store?

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another cup of:

"I'd like another piece of:

Just for fun:
Though I didn't watch much of the recent winter Olympics I have to admit it's kind of cool
that people gather every few years, hopefully to build goodwill between countries and have a
good time. But most of us could never "medal".

So here's our chance to totally make up an event and share what category we might win.
It could be in making a cheese sandwich or replacing a spark plug or anything else.
Being as silly or serious as you like in what made up Olympic event could you "go for the gold?"

March's Stone Is
Aquamarine

March's Stoner ISN'T Really:
A marine doing aquarobics

March's Flower Is:
Jonquil

March's Flour ISN'T Really:
Mixed by a baker named Jon Quil

Wishing you a crazy good March and a happy Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 PM

30,322 posts, read 27,776,619 times
Today's Question(s):
We've all approached road construction or an accident clean up where one lane ends. Then
you often see some drivers take the closing lane until they can't go forward without another

I know a few people who think it's a form of "cheating" to knowingly take the closing lane.

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break?

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly?
I have found this to be an issue as well when driving over the years. And I feel that if someone is in the next lane over (L or R) from me and ahead of my car - I let them continue on and merge into one lane. If their car is behind me or right beside me I have the right-a-way and they need to get behind. It doesn't always work out that way but if you can see someone why do you want to have an accident? If they're behind me and off in the next lane then "they" can see me and avoid the accident.

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word? In my world its a creek, in the mountains its a stream and in the forest it's a brook.

Extra:
Usually once a week or every ten days maybe.

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another cup of: coffee

"I'd like another piece of: pastry

Just for fun:
Though I didn't watch much of the recent winter Olympics I have to admit it's kind of cool
that people gather every few years, hopefully to build goodwill between countries and have a

So here's our chance to totally make up an event and share what category we might win.
It could be in making a cheese sandwich or replacing a spark plug or anything else.
Being as silly or serious as you like in what made up Olympic event could you "go for the gold?"

Laying in the recliner for the longest time.........

March's Stone Is
Aquamarine

March's Flower Is:
Jonquil

Last edited by AksarbeN; 02-28-2018 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 PM

6,974 posts, read 3,990,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question(s):

IDK, haven't thought about it a lot...but maybe. I usually let them go if they are ahead of me though.

Willingly, esp. if they are ahead of me. (I am not out a lot in traffic and rarely run into this.)

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word?
Creek.

Extra:
I like fresh produce, milk and bread so we go often....three or four times maybe.

Foodie Question(s):
Coffee.
Pizza.

Just for fun:

I could go for the gold if there was an Olympic Event in collecting Cats(Yes, real ones).

March's Stone Is
Aquamarine

March's Flower Is:
Jonquil

Wishing you a crazy good March and a happy Thursday! U2
Happy Thursday everyone!

Old 02-28-2018, 09:48 PM

114,169 posts, read 54,151,441 times

Today's Question(s):

They should blend in before reaching the end of the lane if possible. Driving is every man for themselves. With a certain amount of civility (or sympathy) thrown in even for the knuckleheads.
Only if I'd have had to come to a complete stop Depends on how fast a car I'm driving too.

I try to be courteous unless someone is too big a knucklehead to go when given the opportunity.

Bonus:
I've given up... we have so many waterways of every size and type around here.

Extra:
Twice regularly.

Foodie Question(s):
Cash!
Coconut Creme pie

Just for fun:

Non-athleticism.

March's Stone Is
Aquamarine

March's Flower Is:
Jonquil

Thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-28-2018 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times

Today's Question(s):

Do you agree, and why or why not? Another accident waiting to happen, especially with aggressive drivers.

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break? Probably have if I was forced to take it.

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly? Depends on how aggressive they are and if they are an actual cheater.

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word? Here it would be a called 'wadi'.

Extra:
About how many times in a week do you go to the grocery store? 1-2

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another cup of: Ginger Ale

"I'd like another piece of: Peach cobbler

Just for fun:

Arm lifting a beer with one arm sitting in an armchair. Winner of the most lifts in a 30 minute time limit gets a gold metal can replica of the can they're lifting. Eating cheese is optional.

You rock bj

Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 PM

23,889 posts, read 22,804,659 times
March is arriving already and off we go with another set of . . . " what"

Today's Question(s):

Do you agree, and why or why not? Suck it up... be responsible and also be kind and if you have a child with you.. zip your pie hole and show how a " Normal " adult handles the situation to the child.. they are little sponges and soak up everything we " SAY" and " DO" set a example

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break? All depends what you driving aka " BIG A Truck" and if you have a small child with you...

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly? Again applies to the above rules.. or do the Brooklyn thing... salute and horn

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word? Here in Tennessee down in the holler it's a crick were you wash your clothes on a rock less than ankle deep.. a brook is were you fish as in Brook Trout -- a creek is for old inner tubes and ice cold beer on a hot July Day - a stream is for a canoe - kayak - that takes you to the river were you can " Noodle" for cat fish on the over hanging banks...

Extra:
About how many times in a week do you go to the grocery store? Depends how hungry I am..

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another cup of: Coffee " Please"

"I'd like another piece of: Chocolate Cake " Please "

Just for fun:

Being as silly or serious as you like in what made up Olympic event could you "go for the gold?" Yard Slide.. 50 feet of Black Polypropylene 5mm plastic down the slope on the front lawn.. water and a kid.. or crazy old fart.. and who slides the furthest wins... and dish soap can't be used and a hand full of fresh picked Daisy's for the winner..

March's Stone Is
Aquamarine

March's Flower Is:
Jonquil

Wishing you a crazy good March and a happy Thursday! Thanks BJH ....

Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 PM

30,299 posts, read 16,807,445 times
It feels good to be in my favorite slot.

Today's Question(s):

Do you agree, and why or why not? Yes, because they're trying to get ahead of everyone else who has to wait in the queue to get through.

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break? Once that I can remember.

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly? Willingly. I'd rather have them in front of me than behind me where they could be potential "liabilities."

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word? Stream.

Extra:
About how many times in a week do you go to the grocery store? One.

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another cup of: hot cocoa."

"I'd like another piece of: cheesecake."

Just for fun:

Being as silly or serious as you like in what made up Olympic event could you "go for the gold?" Watching TV while I'm in the kitchen making brownies.

Enjoy your Friday Eve!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 PM

16,412 posts, read 5,348,147 times
Today's Question(s):

I think that sometimes people do this without meaning to, but to do it deliberately is rude.
Yes, I will admit that I've done that.
Yes, I am very good about letting people in because I appreciate it when others do the same for me.

Bonus:
Any of those words would do, I guess, but I'd probably say "creek" unless it's large enough to be a river.
Extra:
Three or four times a week.

Foodie Question(s):
hot Postum
Devil's food cake

Just for fun:

Cookie baking

Thanks, bjh!

Old 02-28-2018, 11:40 PM

186,984 posts, read 76,864,268 times

Today's Question(s):

Do you agree, and why or why not? Yes, it's just plain rude

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break? Not unless trapped and couldn't get over

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly? Depends if they were cheating or not

Bonus:

Extra:
About how many times in a week do you go to the grocery store? Twice

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another cup of: Hot Chocolate

"I'd like another piece of: Pecan Pie

Just for fun:

Slow smoking a butt roast for pulled pork

March's Stone Is
Aquamarine

March's Flower Is:
Jonquil

Old 03-01-2018, 12:35 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,918,878 times
Good Morning

Today's Question(s):

Do you agree, and why or why not? I don't consider it cheating, it is called merging!

Knowing or not, have you ever taken the closing lane until someone had to give you a break? Why do people decide to close two lanes when one is still open? This always makes no sense to me. Merge. Merge! No need to merge a mile, or a half a mile, etc before the lane closes. I googled it, look what I found!

"When people merge early, they create a more severe backup because they leave a lane unused, CDOT spokesman Bob Wilson said." https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rong/90798014/

If you're in the continuing lane, do you let people back into traffic willingly or begrudgingly? Yes, I let people in because they are properly merging!

Bonus:
What do you normally call a small natural waterway: a brook, creek, stream or what other word? Stream, although in reality--all those are different.

Extra:
About how many times in a week do you go to the grocery store? Usually just once.

Foodie Question(s):
"I'd like another glass of: wine

"I'd like another piece of: chocolate

Just for fun:

I could medal in making a great snack tray--vegetables, cheese, dip, sausage, etc.

Happy March 1st! Rabbit Rabbit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or