Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
dandevder, I get that, having my child in a Christian Preschool and also living here in NC. They teach Christian values. How can a person who does not believe strongly in Christianity, teach it to our children?
Christian values is one thing...but not hiring someone because they do not attend church services every Sunday seemed a little extreme. They did not even give the women any chance to elaborate or explain. They just booted her right out. For all we know she could have had the best training available and was the most qualified...besides her church attendance.

I know many people who do not attend church at all and still teach their own children Christain values at home. Shouldn't it be about the children benefitting and not whether you can quote the gospel? We as parents should be setting the primary example for our children. This is preschool and I sent my children to help learn basic skills before reaching elementary school. Cutting, writing, alphabet, sharing, numbers and skills like that seemed more appropriate. I bring my children to church on Sunday to get the rest of it.

Sorry...again I just have to play the other side of it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
[quote=dandevder;206956]While bringing a neighbors daughter to preschool today at a local church, I overheard a job interview being conducted. Me being the nosy type had to listen for a moment and this is what I overheard...
/QUOTE]

This is a private school, not public, so why would the federal labor/hiring laws apply? The guarantee of separation of church and state does exactly that in this case -- this is a church school. Church schools teach Bible verses so I really don't understand why someone who doesn't even know her own denomination would apply for this position.

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
Christian values is one thing...but not hiring someone because they do not attend church services every Sunday seemed a little extreme. They did not even give the women any chance to elaborate or explain. They just booted her right out. For all we know she could have had the best training available and was the most qualified...besides her church attendance.

I know many people who do not attend church at all and still teach their own children Christain values at home. Shouldn't it be about the children benefitting and not whether you can quote the gospel? We as parents should be setting the primary example for our children. This is preschool and I sent my children to help learn basic skills before reaching elementary school. Cutting, writing, alphabet, sharing, numbers and skills like that seemed more appropriate. I bring my children to church on Sunday to get the rest of it.

Dont be sorry, I think you are right. I teach my childrens the values and beliefs at home. Her qualifications to me would be more important.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:02 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post

No, this is a preschool in a church and clearly they include their beliefs in managing the children or they wouldn't place such importance on the belief system of a job applicant who'd be hired to teach those children. Parents who bring their children there then should expect that the beliefs of this particular church will be presented in some way to their children. If the applicant is not familiar with those beliefs, or simply isn't devout enough to give that element the emphasis required by the church, the church should be under no obligation to accept her application period - even if it cuts short the interview and her other qualifications are never probed. Clearly the focus is belief. We all agree she may be perfectly qualified as a pre-school teacher...but...that isn't the only priority with this church. Would it be different if she believed in Jesus in some general way and considered herself a non-regular churchgoer, then applied to an Amish church to teach pre-school? Would the Amish be expected to hire a non-Amish applicant? If the parent isn't interested in what gospel is taught to the children, if any, and prefers to teach religious faith and precepts at home, then put the kids in a secular school.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
No, this is a preschool in a church and clearly they include their beliefs in managing the children or they wouldn't place such importance on the belief system of a job applicant who'd be hired to teach those children. Parents who bring their children there then should expect that the beliefs of this particular church will be presented in some way to their children. If the applicant is not familiar with those beliefs, or simply isn't devout enough to give that element the emphasis required by the church, the church should be under no obligation to accept her application period. We all agree she may be perfectly qualified as a pre-school teacher...but...that isn't the point with this church. If the parent isn't interested in what gospel is taught to the children, if any, and prefers to teach religious faith and precepts at home, then put the kids in a secular school.
What if a person says they believe and has all the right answers but is a child molester, church doesnt make you a better person in all cases as many have seen. Her qualifications should have been first in their concerns and her church habits( which she did say she goes) second.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
What if a person says they believe and has all the right answers but is a child molester, church doesnt make you a better person in all cases as many have seen. Her qualifications should have been first in their concerns and her church habits( which she did say she goes) second.
I completely disagree with you. No one said going to church makes anyone a better person necessarily. Christians still believe they're sinners and susceptible to all the weaknesses any other human is subject to. That's not the issue. Part of the qualification, and the heavier weight of qualification clearly to this church, lies in her belief system and she couldn't even name a denomination. If she were applying to a public school, the religious questions wouldn't even be allowed or appropriate...but then again...they wouldn't be an expected part of the curriculum either. And what if that teacher who has all the qualifications of being a teacher, answers all the questions correctly, donates 20% of his income to United Way, volunteers to feed the poor and is hired by the public school....but is a child molester.... maybe a John Karr? I think to make the argument about what someone could be is irrelevant and illogical as if we could discern such terrible flaws of character, it would apply to all hiring to do with contact with children and no one would hire them period, in secular or religious schools.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-12-2006 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-12-2006, 03:27 PM

People seem to be making the point that the qualifications are not relevant and her church going is, seems to me they dont care who teaches the child as long as they can name a denomination. They should have asked qualifications first then moved on to her beliefs, then if they still didnt agree they could move on, but to only question her beliefs seemed wrong. Anyone can go to church and name a denomination ,doesnt mean they are qualified to teach.She did say she went to church and could have been brought more into the church after hiring. And school interviews and hirings are extremely stringent, and sometimes mistakes are made and back grounds should becovered throughly. And it is ok to disagree, it is america!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
People seem to be making the point that the qualifications are not relevant and her church going is, seems to me they dont care who teaches the child as long as they can name a denomination. They should have asked qualifications first then moved on to her beliefs, then if they still didnt agree they could move on, but to only question her beliefs seemed wrong. Anyone can go to church and name a denomination ,doesnt mean they are qualified to teach.She did say she went to church and could have been brought more into the church after hiring. And school interviews and hirings are extremely stringent, and sometimes mistakes are made and back grounds should becovered throughly. And it is ok to disagree, it is america!!!
Guess what Nea1...we agree! I agree it would have been better to go over her secular qualifications first and see her background experience, if satisfied with that, move on to the religious elements, and then, if those didn't meet their criteria, then professionally thank her and close the interview cleanly. It sounds like the person who did the interview wasn't very skilled in tact. As for denominations, there are doctrinal differences that are quite important to what is taught and believed. It could even center around small differences between truly Christian churches who believe in pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, or post-tribulation theology. I agree with you though, the questioning could have been handled better with secular skills first then conducted more professionally so as not to upset the applicant, etc.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Guess what Nea1...we agree! I agree it would have been better to go over her secular qualifications first and see her background experience, if satisfied with that, move on to the religious elements, and then, if those didn't meet their criteria, then professionally thank her and close the interview cleanly. It sounds like the person who did the interview wasn't very skilled in tact. As for denominations, there are doctrinal differences that are quite important to what is taught and believed. It could even center around small differences between truly Christian churches who believe in pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, or post-tribulation theology. I agree with you though, the questioning could have been handled secular skills first then more professionally so as not to upset the applicant, etc.
Thats all I was saying, check qualifications first, then move on. She could have been brought into the church if they asked if she was willing, she might have been. I would have been perterbed as well but knowing me I would have said something.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,773 times
I guess that was my point all along. They did not care about qualifications, only her church attendance. I personally was blown away by what I heard. I agree with you nea1...if I was that person they would not have hired me because I would have said something about it to them.
To me it sounded like they did not care if you could teach the kids...as long as you went to church it was aok for them. If my eaves dropping had heard the questions about qualifications first I would have never thought to even ask y'all about it.
Thanks to all of you for all of the different perspectives on the subject. It is always intersting to hear what others think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics