Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you find a wallet, keep the money and drop the wallet in a mailbox.

It will find it's way back to the owner.

And you will have been reward for your action.
While this is a reasonable option, I wouldn't recommend it for the simple fact that it delays the return of the wallet by as many as a few days.
If I had lost my wallet, I'd be canceling cards and working on replacing items that night if I hadn't heard anything about its whereabouts.
While I'd certainly be happy about its return a couple days later, I would have already put wheels in motion to replace the things in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:54 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you find a wallet, keep the money and drop the wallet in a mailbox.

It will find it's way back to the owner.

And you will have been reward for your action.
No, no, and no.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM

643 posts, read 328,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
While this is a reasonable option, I wouldn't recommend it for the simple fact that it delays the return of the wallet by as many as a few days.
If I had lost my wallet, I'd be canceling cards and working on replacing items that night if I hadn't heard anything about its whereabouts.
While I'd certainly be happy about its return a couple days later, I would have already put wheels in motion to replace the things in it.
Why is it "reasonable" to keep the money ?

It's not my money, I will return the billfold plus the money or call the person to come get it with the money intact

Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM

14,764 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I use to work as a Cashier, and people would bring us wallets that they found all the time.
Protocol was that you had to call two to three people up to the front of the store.
Once you had three witnesses (at least one had to be a member of the management staff), they would open the wallet, and check for ID's.
(The amount of money inside would often be noted in a report, with three witnesses validating this.)
The name and the address on the drivers license or ID would be noted, while the wallet would be put in the safe for safekeeping, I would find the phone number of the person, using their ID information) and we would call them to let them know that their lost wallet had been located. We were usually able to notify them before they even realized that their wallet was missing.

No, it is not reasonable or okay to keep the money, it's not your money, that would be stealing.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:33 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is your phone not password protected?
The idea is to have it on the lock screen.

https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../7055029?hl=en

https://groovyandroid.com/how-to-add...-screen-15445/
I agree that is a better place for it, however I don't use a locked-screen at this time. "thanks"

Old 07-21-2018, 04:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I was just filling up my car at my neighborhood convenience store and noticed a wallet in the parking lot, not near any cars or other customers. I took it inside and gave it to the person at the register. They did not want to take it and vehemently insisted that it was my responsibility and that I should call the police if I wanted the wallet returned. I reasoned with them that if I had lost a wallet, I would go back to the places I had been that day, and suggested she keep it at the register to see if they returned. The woman was very angry and kept trying to hand it back to me. I left.

What is the appropriate thing to do? Was she right?
Call the police and give them the wallet.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

No, it is not reasonable or okay to keep the money, it's not your money, that would be stealing.
Losers weepers.
Finders keepers.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
My pre-teen granddaughter was saying she wished she could find some money, as in on the street, in the store parking lot, etc. I said I used to hope for this as well, but I no longer do. She asked why, I said "because it means somebody who probably needs the money lost it, and I don't want to wish for someone else to lose their money so I could find it".

Do what you can to return the wallet and all it's contents, including any money, to the person who lost it. It will make you feel much better to return it to the grateful owner than being happy to have found money that is not yours.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:50 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Why is it "reasonable" to keep the money ?

It's not my money, I will return the billfold plus the money or call the person to come get it with the money intact
Oh, I didn't focus on the "keep the money" part. I was referring to the "drop wallet to the mailbox" part. I thought my response was clear about that.
Of course, I wouldn't take the money or anything else from the wallet.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I found a woman's purse onetime at a curbside mailbox. Took it straight to the police dept nearby. They took my name and phone # saying if no one claimed it in 30 days it would be returned to me as finders keepers.
2 hours later a lady called me and thanked me for returning the purse intact. Glad to have helped.

OP the lady at the convenience store was correct. Store policy at many convenient stores. The store would not want the loser to come back and claim someone from the store took items out of it, especially cash and want to be reimbursed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics