Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 09:01 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, March 24, 2019.

If you were born on this date, you were born under the sign of Aries. You share your birthday with British textile designer William Morris; financier Andrew Mellon; magician Harry Houdini; actors Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle Norman Fell and Jim Parsons; actresses Kelly Le Brock, Lara Flynn Boyle, Annabella Sciorra and Jessica Chastain; animators Ub Iwerks and Joseph Barbera; bank robber Clyde Barrow; poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti; fashion designer Bob Mackie; stuntwoman Kitty O’Neill; rocker Nick Lowe; comedians Louie Anderson and Tig Notaro; American football player Peyton Manning and TV host Star Jones.

Today’s Questions:
While writing these questions, my Word program kept crashing every time I hit Enter, then it would reopen only to crash again as soon as I tried to do anything. Very frustrating! When was the last time you were frustrated by some type of technical glitch, computer or otherwise? Were you able to fix it, or did you have to give up?

What (if any) signs of spring are you seeing in your neighborhood?

Do you enjoy driving, or is it just a way to get from Point A to Point B?

Do you have a sweet tooth? If so, what are your favorite treats?

What do your slippers look like? If you don't wear slippers, what kind of shoes do you wear when you're at home?

What about your appearance do you like the most?

What about your appearance do you wish you could change?

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?

Today in History:
1550 – France, Scotland, and England sign the Peace of Boulogne to end hostilities in the War of the Rough Wooing.
1603 – James VI of Scotland becomes James I of England and Ireland, upon the death of Elizabeth I.
1603 – Tokugawa Ieyasu is granted the title of shōgun from Emperor Go-Yōzei, and establishes the Tokugawa shogunate in Edo, Japan.
1663 – The Province of Carolina is granted by charter to eight Lords Proprietor in reward for their assistance in restoring Charles II of England to the throne.
1720 – Count Frederick of Hesse-Kassel is elected King of Sweden by the Riksdag of the Estates, after his consort Ulrika Eleonora abdicated the throne on 29 February
1721 – Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates six concertos to Margrave Christian Ludwig of Brandenburg-Schwedt, now commonly called the Brandenburg Concertos, BWV 1046–1051.
1765 – Great Britain passes the Quartering Act, which requires the Thirteen Colonies to house British troops.
1794 – In Kraków, Tadeusz Kościuszko announces a general uprising against Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Prussia, and assumes the powers of the Commander in Chief of all of the Polish forces.
1829 – The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, allowing Catholics to serve in Parliament.
1832 – In Hiram, Ohio, a group of men beat and tar and feather Mormon leader Joseph Smith.
1837 – Canada gives African Canadian men the right to vote.
1854 – Slavery is abolished in Venezuela.
1860 – Sakuradamon Incident: Assassination of Japanese Chief Minister (Tairō) Ii Naosuke.
1869 – The last of Titokowaru's forces surrendered to the New Zealand government, ending his uprising.
1882 – Robert Koch announces the discovery of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis.
1896 – A. S. Popov makes the first radio signal transmission in history.
1900 – Mayor of New York City Robert Anderson Van Wyck breaks ground for a new underground "Rapid Transit Railroad" that would link Manhattan and Brooklyn.
1907 – The first issue of the Georgian Bolshevik newspaper Dro is published.
1921 – The 1921 Women's Olympiad begins in Monte Carlo, first international women's sports event.
1927 – Nanking Incident: Foreign warships bombard Nanjing, China, in defense of the foreign citizens within the city.
1934 – United States Congress passes the Tydings–McDuffie Act, allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing commonwealth.
1944 – World War II: In an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, 76 Allied prisoners of war begin breaking out of the German camp Stalag Luft III.
1946 – A British Cabinet Mission arrives in India to discuss and plan for the transfer of power from the British Raj to Indian leadership.
1958 – Rock 'n' roll teen idol Elvis Presley is drafted in the U.S. Army.
1961 – Quebec Board of the French Language is established.
1965 – Images from the Ranger 9 lunar probe are broadcast live on network television.
1976 – In Argentina, the armed forces overthrow the constitutional government of President Isabel Perón and start a 7-year dictatorial period self-styled the National Reorganization Process.
1980 – El Salvadorian Archbishop Óscar Romero is assassinated while celebrating Mass in San Salvador.
1986 – The Loscoe gas explosion leads to new UK laws on landfill gas migration and gas protection on landfill sites.
1989 – In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (38,000 m3) of crude oil after running aground.
1993 – Discovery of Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9
1998 – Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden, aged 11 and 13 respectively, fire upon teachers and students at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas; five people are killed and ten are wounded.
1998 – First computer-assisted Bone Segment Navigation, performed at the University of Regensburg, Germany
1999 – Kosovo war: NATO began attacks on Yugoslavia without United Nations Security Council (UNSC) approval, marking the first time NATO has attacked a sovereign country.
1999 – A truck carrying margarine and flour catches fire inside the Mont Blanc Tunnel. The resulting inferno kills 38 people.
2003 – The Arab League votes 21–1 in favor of a resolution demanding the immediate and unconditional removal of U.S. and British soldiers from Iraq.
2008 – Bhutan officially becomes a democracy, with its first ever general election.
2015 – Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in the French Alps in an apparent pilot mass murder-suicide, killing all 150 people on board.

Word of the Day:
plumbeous adjective
[pluhm-bee-uhs]
resembling or containing lead; leaden.
"... a headachy dawn was breaking, with small rain sifting down out of clouds that were the same plumbeous colour as the shadows under Baby's eyes. "
- John Banville, The Untouchable, 1997

Quote of the Day:
“If you’re too open-minded, your brains will fall out.”
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who turns 100 years old today.

Today Is:
World Tuberculosis Day
National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times

Today’s Questions:
While writing these questions, my Word program kept crashing every time I hit Enter, then it would reopen only to crash again as soon as I tried to do anything. Very frustrating! When was the last time you were frustrated by some type of technical glitch, computer or otherwise? Were you able to fix it, or did you have to give up?
That's odd. I'd do a reboot and if that didn't clear it, a virus scan.

I needed to print something and my printer gave an error message and wouldn't work. This is
one of the reasons I love the internet because I went online and searched the model number
and read how to fix it. The error code is an engineered way to force people to get
maintenance or even buy a new printer. This one is about 10 years old. Anyway I was able to
clear the problem thanks to people online who posted how to clear the code and keep on printing.

Flowers and floral trees blooming. Pollen coating the outdoors. *ah-choo*

I enjoy driving!

Unfortunately. I almost never have sweets anymore. I did have a bite of a candy bar this week.

What do your slippers look like? If you don't wear slippers, what kind of shoes do you wear when you're at home?
Black with white interior. I don't know how to describe further. Oh. One left and one right.

I'm not as ugly as I thought.

I'd like to look like I did at age 25. Indefinitely this time.

Not giving some people what they deserve. Just kidding.
Making my own way in life.

Thanks, BA4

Old 03-23-2019, 10:15 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times

If you were born on this date, you were born under the sign of Aries. You share your birthday with British textile designer William Morris; financier Andrew Mellon; magician Harry Houdini; actors Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle Norman Fell and Jim Parsons; actresses Kelly Le Brock, Lara Flynn Boyle, Annabella Sciorra and Jessica Chastain; animators Ub Iwerks and Joseph Barbera; bank robber Clyde Barrow; poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti; fashion designer Bob Mackie; stuntwoman Kitty O’Neill; rocker Nick Lowe; comedians Louie Anderson and Tig Notaro; American football player Peyton Manning and TV host Star Jones.

Nope. Capricorn here.

Today’s Questions:

Moderating from the phone isn't easiest thing to do, especially when I need to edit, crop or write longer reply. Forget about fonds, colors or rep messages...
I rep people by clicking on the scales, but unable to type any message.

Lots of it. What about a sea of bluebonnets?
Spoiler

I love driving, but sometimes I just have to go from A to B fastest route. I do enjoy cruising, driving on the country back roads, traveling per car.

A square of dark chocolate, or a small serving of gelato. Sometimes a piece of fruit does the trick. Or a glass of sherry. I don't care for baked sweets.

I wear those in Summer
Spoiler

And those in Winter:
Spoiler

I still have all my hair and teeth, and all my senses still work, including the common

Look like when I was 35 y.o.

Living my life the way I want.

Today in History:
1550 – France, Scotland, and England sign the Peace of Boulogne to end hostilities in the War of the Rough Wooing.
1603 – James VI of Scotland becomes James I of England and Ireland, upon the death of Elizabeth I.
1603 – Tokugawa Ieyasu is granted the title of shōgun from Emperor Go-Yōzei, and establishes the Tokugawa shogunate in Edo, Japan.
1663 – The Province of Carolina is granted by charter to eight Lords Proprietor in reward for their assistance in restoring Charles II of England to the throne.
1720 – Count Frederick of Hesse-Kassel is elected King of Sweden by the Riksdag of the Estates, after his consort Ulrika Eleonora abdicated the throne on 29 February
1721 – Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates six concertos to Margrave Christian Ludwig of Brandenburg-Schwedt, now commonly called the Brandenburg Concertos, BWV 1046–1051.
1765 – Great Britain passes the Quartering Act, which requires the Thirteen Colonies to house British troops.
1794 – In Kraków, Tadeusz Kościuszko announces a general uprising against Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Prussia, and assumes the powers of the Commander in Chief of all of the Polish forces.
1829 – The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, allowing Catholics to serve in Parliament.
1832 – In Hiram, Ohio, a group of men beat and tar and feather Mormon leader Joseph Smith.
1837 – Canada gives African Canadian men the right to vote.
1854 – Slavery is abolished in Venezuela.
1860 – Sakuradamon Incident: Assassination of Japanese Chief Minister (Tairō) Ii Naosuke.
1869 – The last of Titokowaru's forces surrendered to the New Zealand government, ending his uprising.
1882 – Robert Koch announces the discovery of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis.
1896 – A. S. Popov makes the first radio signal transmission in history.
1900 – Mayor of New York City Robert Anderson Van Wyck breaks ground for a new underground "Rapid Transit Railroad" that would link Manhattan and Brooklyn.
1907 – The first issue of the Georgian Bolshevik newspaper Dro is published.
1921 – The 1921 Women's Olympiad begins in Monte Carlo, first international women's sports event.
1927 – Nanking Incident: Foreign warships bombard Nanjing, China, in defense of the foreign citizens within the city.
1934 – United States Congress passes the Tydings–McDuffie Act, allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing commonwealth.
1944 – World War II: In an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, 76 Allied prisoners of war begin breaking out of the German camp Stalag Luft III.
1946 – A British Cabinet Mission arrives in India to discuss and plan for the transfer of power from the British Raj to Indian leadership.
1958 – Rock 'n' roll teen idol Elvis Presley is drafted in the U.S. Army.
1961 – Quebec Board of the French Language is established.
1965 – Images from the Ranger 9 lunar probe are broadcast live on network television.
1976 – In Argentina, the armed forces overthrow the constitutional government of President Isabel Perón and start a 7-year dictatorial period self-styled the National Reorganization Process.
1980 – El Salvadorian Archbishop Óscar Romero is assassinated while celebrating Mass in San Salvador.
1986 – The Loscoe gas explosion leads to new UK laws on landfill gas migration and gas protection on landfill sites.
1989 – In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (38,000 m3) of crude oil after running aground.
1993 – Discovery of Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9
1998 – Mitchell Johnson and Andrew Golden, aged 11 and 13 respectively, fire upon teachers and students at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas; five people are killed and ten are wounded.
1998 – First computer-assisted Bone Segment Navigation, performed at the University of Regensburg, Germany
1999 – Kosovo war: NATO began attacks on Yugoslavia without United Nations Security Council (UNSC) approval, marking the first time NATO has attacked a sovereign country.
1999 – A truck carrying margarine and flour catches fire inside the Mont Blanc Tunnel. The resulting inferno kills 38 people.
2003 – The Arab League votes 21–1 in favor of a resolution demanding the immediate and unconditional removal of U.S. and British soldiers from Iraq.
2008 – Bhutan officially becomes a democracy, with its first ever general election.
2015 – Germanwings Flight 9525 crashes in the French Alps in an apparent pilot mass murder-suicide, killing all 150 people on board.

Word of the Day:
plumbeous adjective
[pluhm-bee-uhs]
resembling or containing lead; leaden.
"... a headachy dawn was breaking, with small rain sifting down out of clouds that were the same plumbeous colour as the shadows under Baby's eyes. "
- John Banville, The Untouchable, 1997

Quote of the Day:
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who turns 100 years old today. <<<<< !!

Today Is:
World Tuberculosis Day
National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day

Thank you, Baya!!!

Last edited by elnina; 03-23-2019 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 10:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times

Today’s Questions:
So far I've been lucky over the years and haven't had any issues with the pc. I have had a problem with the tablet where the speaker didn't work however rebooting it cleared the issue.

Trees and flowers are looking like springtime.

I've always liked driving, I'd love to make a long trip driving somewhere soon, however the next two trips are with tour groups and out of the country.

Oh yeah,,, Love the See's chocolate.

brown leather.

My eyes

I'd like to be a little taller and have more hair

Being there for those who needed me over the years. .

Old 03-24-2019, 12:29 AM

38,885 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Today’s Questions:
About a month ago with my work computer, when I was in a different department. All of us had to download and install security software. I noticed after the installation, my programs would be slow to launch and the computer itself took a long time to boot up. It would also freeze up occasionally. However, I transferred to another department at the beginning of this month and my computer there is newer and MUCH faster.

What (if any) signs of spring are you seeing in your neighborhood? More plants and trees are blooming.

Do you enjoy driving, or is it just a way to get from Point A to Point B? I enjoy driving as long as it's not in heavy bumper-to-bumper traffic which we get here A LOT.

Do you have a sweet tooth? Yes, sweets are my weakness. If so, what are your favorite treats? Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake and chocolate silk pie. Basically, most anything chocolate.

What do your slippers look like? If you don't wear slippers, what kind of shoes do you wear when you're at home? I don't wear shoes when I'm home. If I have to go outside, I have a pair of black flip-flops.

What about your appearance do you like the most? My teeth are straight.

What about your appearance do you wish you could change? Maybe turn the clock back 20-30 years.

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment? Getting 4 years of perfect attendance in high school is the first thing I thought of.

Have a superb Sunday!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:38 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Today’s Questions:
While writing these questions, my Word program kept crashing every time I hit Enter, then it would reopen only to crash again as soon as I tried to do anything. Very frustrating! When was the last time you were frustrated by some type of technical glitch, computer or otherwise? Were you able to fix it, or did you have to give up? Occasionally I get a glitch. Usually it fixes itself. If not then I cuss at it and then it aggravates me more and we go from there.

What (if any) signs of spring are you seeing in your neighborhood? Weeds and flowers.

Do you enjoy driving, or is it just a way to get from Point A to Point B? Love to drive.

Do you have a sweet tooth? Rarely eat sweets. If so, what are your favorite treats? When I do I like to have a Hersey's almond bar or a Roche's chocolate thingy at xmas.

What do your slippers look like? If you don't wear slippers, what kind of shoes do you wear when you're at home? Don't wear slippers, only tennis shoes or flip flops.

What about your appearance do you like the most? I'm fine with whatever I have.

What about your appearance do you wish you could change? Turn back the clock to look like my younger days.

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment? Making it this far in life.

Thanks bay...

Old 03-24-2019, 01:53 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Questions:
While writing these questions, my Word program kept crashing every time I hit Enter, then it would reopen only to crash again as soon as I tried to do anything. Very frustrating! When was the last time you were frustrated by some type of technical glitch, computer or otherwise? Were you able to fix it, or did you have to give up? Sometimes when I'm typing an email I hit a wrong key and lose everything. And, of course, I've no idea what key I hit, so I have to re-do it all.

What (if any) signs of spring are you seeing in your neighborhood?Hyacinths and daffodils springs up, less cold weather.

Do you enjoy driving, or is it just a way to get from Point A to Point B? I don't drive.

Brownies, chewy cookies, cakes, pies... heck, I like them all!
What do your slippers look like? If you don't wear slippers, what kind of shoes do you wear when you're at home? Royal blue memory foam slippers that I bought from Avon. They're warm. I usually wear socks with or without slippers.

What about your appearance do you like the most? Hmm.
My eyes.

My aging neck.
What do you consider your greatest accomplishment? Retirement.

Quote of the Day:
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti, who turns 100 years old today. Holy cow! I didn't know he was still around! I've been to his bookstore in San Francisco a few times.
Thanks, Bay!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:47 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times

Today’s Questions:

needs a new hard drive. I have to go to a city to get it fixed. yuk.

my tulips are sticking their little noses up. So far the rabbits haven't found them.
squirrels ate all the crocus bulbs.

used to love it. Now it's just a way to get someplace.

yea, about the size of a sabre toothed tiger's fang. Chocolate ice cream; chocolate pudding; chocolate cherry cookies

they're the kind that just cover the front of your foot. easy on, easy off.

appearance, eyes although they don't work as well as I'd like them to.

I'd like to be taller.

well, I got out of bed this morning........

thanks, BA.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:06 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Today’s Questions:
- My computer turns 12 years old next month. That pretty much says it all...

What (if any) signs of spring are you seeing in your neighborhood? - Seeing more people outside, especially playing baseball and softball.

Do you enjoy driving, or is it just a way to get from Point A to Point B? - Latter. There is too much traffic here in the Washington, DC area. I don't enjoy it at all regardless. It's like a 2nd job to me.

Do you have a sweet tooth? If so, what are your favorite treats? - Start with ice cream, LOL. I am trying to cut back on sweet treats. Sometimes I go to the bulk bins at Wegmans but I only buy a few pieces of bite size Hershey's candy, always less than a dollars worth.

What do your slippers look like? If you don't wear slippers, what kind of shoes do you wear when you're at home? - Just socks.

What about your appearance do you wish you could change? - Being younger.

What do you consider your greatest accomplishment? - Helped save many lives by being a regular blood donor since 1991.

Thanks, Bay!

Old 03-24-2019, 05:07 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times

Today’s Questions:

About 5 minutes ago. I'm waiting for it to warm up again, which gives me time for QOTD!

We're in full spring mode here in Williamsburg. Baby Lambs, blooming trees, flowers everywhere

Enjoy it, as long as I'm far from any major metro area.

Cutting out sugar these days, so a treat is now a mandarin orange. Oh for the days when I could eat all the pudding I wanted!

Which pair? I have dozens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics