U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 PM

1,096 posts, read 229,008 times

Advertisements

I have a social skills question. Today me and my buddy bought tomatoes and broccoli from a street vendor, washed them in a bar bathroom and ate them in the street. We were expelled from a deli for bringing outside food so we squatted near a bar, and we ate a packet of turkey slices with the tomatoes and broccoli.

This is because we were trying to save money because our friends wanted to go to a high end restaurant in the vein of Chilis and Dallas BBQ so we ate the free bread that was found there while we had already filled up on "salad".

I live in NYC and try to avoid restaurants so I buy vegetables from street vendors and eat them outside in the summer. In the winter I usually eat bread, dry instant noodles or condensed soup directly from the can, when I'm outside. Most people buy fruit and eat it randomly so I don't see what the harm is. Obviously there are no kitchen sinks available at libraries and other places to hang out.

I was told this is unhygienic and I don't know why. I mean a sink is a sink and water is clean. Is it that inappropriate to drink water from bathroom taps or wash food in bathroom taps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 PM

5,394 posts, read 3,007,254 times
You started out with a social skills question, and ended up with a hygiene and food safety question.

The social rule is that most restaurants don't want you bringing in outside food... to wash or to eat. That's not what they're there for.

The food safety rule... Many public bathrooms are pretty filthy. I wouldn't want to wash food in there. I don't even want to touch the knobs after I've washed.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
You started out with a social skills question, and ended up with a hygiene and food safety question.

The social rule is that most restaurants don't want you bringing in outside food... to wash or to eat. That's not what they're there for.

The food safety rule... Many public bathrooms are pretty filthy. I wouldn't want to wash food in there. I don't even want to touch the knobs after I've washed.
Ok is there a type of wet wipe that is for food which I can carry with me when I acquire street vendor vegetables? I've heard of a disinfectant spray for vegetables but it requires a final rinse.

I have never gotten sick from drinking bathroom water. I carry a paper cup with me at all times in case I need to find water and I've also drunk from hoses. When it's very hot outside the city puts portable water fountains in the street but that's only during certain times.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:49 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,618,492 times
“Most people would assume that the toilet seat would be right at the top of the list for high levels of contamination, but the level of bacteria found on it was actually quite low. Topping the list was the sink itself which showed more than 50,000 Colony Forming Units (CFUs).”
https://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/3...blic-washrooms

“What are the most contaminated objects in a restroom?
According to a study published by Biocote, sinks were found to be the most contaminated surfaces in public washrooms.”
https://www.cleanlink.com/hs/article...urfaces--21438

Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
“Most people would assume that the toilet seat would be right at the top of the list for high levels of contamination, but the level of bacteria found on it was actually quite low. Topping the list was the sink itself which showed more than 50,000 Colony Forming Units (CFUs).”
https://info.debgroup.com/blog/bid/3...blic-washrooms

“What are the most contaminated objects in a restroom?
According to a study published by Biocote, sinks were found to be the most contaminated surfaces in public washrooms.”
https://www.cleanlink.com/hs/article...urfaces--21438
The food does not touch the sink directly, it just touches the water in the faucet. This is a social question because I've never gotten sick from it but I am afraid of getting in trouble with my friends socially or being disinvited from their BBQ if it becomes known that I eat bathroom food. One of my friends defriended me because I went to a "freegan" bbq where dumpster dived food was served.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 AM

6,831 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Ok is there a type of wet wipe that is for food which I can carry with me when I acquire street vendor vegetables? I've heard of a disinfectant spray for vegetables but it requires a final rinse.

I have never gotten sick from drinking bathroom water. I carry a paper cup with me at all times in case I need to find water and I've also drunk from hoses. When it's very hot outside the city puts portable water fountains in the street but that's only during certain times.
What a strange situation. Seems like you are trying to make things complicated. Why don't you bring washed/prepared veggies or fruit from home with you on these excursions if you don't want to eat in restaurants? The only difference would be that you aren't buying them right at the time. Bring a cooler bag along.

As for a wet wipe for the produce, I don't know of one that will be strong enough to deal with the nasties you can pick up in a public bathroom that will also be safe to ingest without rinsing it off first. Maybe turn the problem around...sanitize the sink, the faucets, then your hands, I]before[/i] washing the produce in it. Now that you could probably do with a wet wipe, then rinse. There might be some minimal contact time you'd have to wait before rinsing. THEN wash your produce in the clean sink.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:57 AM

4,535 posts, read 1,355,078 times
Quote:
I went to a "freegan" bbq where dumpster dived food was served.
That's pretty nasty.

Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 AM

42,699 posts, read 41,426,610 times
I don’t think it’s gross to wash a tomato under a bathroom faucet. But a bar bathroom is not a “public “ bathroom. It’s private property belonging to the bar and presumably only for paying customers.

I agree that you’re being frugal the hard way though.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:06 AM

3,868 posts, read 1,648,108 times
Quote:
The food does not touch the sink directly, it just touches the water in the faucet. This is a social question because I've never gotten sick from it but I am afraid of getting in trouble with my friends socially or being disinvited from their BBQ if it becomes known that I eat bathroom food. One of my friends defriended me because I went to a "freegan" bbq where dumpster dived food was served.
It seems like there are multiple scenarios here. If it is a BBQ, it seems like food is provided. If you need to bring some, you should be bringing food you prepared AT HOME, not prepared in a public bathroom. I can see why that might be considered a problem. If you don’t have the money to eat out with your friends, then choose activities to do where you don’t eat out. It is that simple. There should be plenty of free/low-cost activities in NYC that don’t involve eating out where you can eat in your house before you head out or grab something cheap from a street vendor or a place where the food is inspected/clean.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,643,301 times
I'd sooner wash produce in a library bathroom than at a bar bathroom... I feel like the library bathroom is probably cleaner. But I guess I really don't see what the problem is. If you would use a sink to wash your hands, then I guess you could wash an apple as well. I wouldn't go in with a big bag of produce and line it up on the counter (yuck!) and start washing the pieces one by one. Isn't this a quick operation? I can wash a piece of fruit in under 5 seconds. Who is even going to see you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics