U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:36 PM

17,834 posts, read 21,669,106 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Yup I am still up so I thought hmm lets post todays ? so those of you that are still up can post early
I was scanning through the channels and noticed quite a few "informercials" so of course I had to ask

Today question:

Have you ever bought a "as seen on TV" item ?

Extra credit: Are you still using the item or has it ended up in the "what was I thinking closet"?

Today in history:

April 16, 1900 U.S. Post Office issues 1st books of postage stamps
April 16, 1940 1st televised baseball game, WGN-TV, (White Sox vs Cubs exhibition)

Word of the day:

quaff \KWOFF; KWAFF\, transitive verb:
1. To drink with relish; to drink copiously of; to swallow in large draughts.

Today is :
National Day of the Mushroom
and
National Wear Your Pajamas To Work Day !!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 PM

12,785 posts, read 8,267,117 times
Yep-I bought this thing called a Super Slicer, came with an instructional video on how to do all these great things slicing vegetables. Just like the pros. ...
It is sitting in my cupboard, gathering dust...but it's not so much a matter of what was I thinking as what was I drinking!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,981,972 times
Yes, bought a CD from a video salesman... Still have it, but......not what I thought it would be.

Get to stay home today, but not too sure if I want to wear my pjs all day. Think it may not be good to wear while attempting to do something with this yard and garden.

Have a great day everyone....

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 AM

17,981 posts, read 17,708,331 times
I have. I bought the pasta cooker thingie...lol.

I don't know. It is like a tall skinny pitcher and you put boiling water and the uncooked pasta in there and let it set for a little while. It has a strainer on the top so you just pour the water out when the pasta is done.

I like it. Don't have to watch the stove and make sure nothing is boiling over.

Do I still use the stove and run back and forth to make sure things aren't boiling over?

Old habits die hard. But I still use the pasta cooker as well.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,414,443 times
Have you ever bought an "as seen on TV" item ?

Yes. I bought an attachment for my line trimmer that replaces the string under the promise that I'll "never have to buy line again". I attached it, went out to trim the edges and the darn thing broke right off the trimmer.

So I tossed it into the closet with the Ginsu knives, the Vegomatic, the Pocket Fisherman, the Oxyclean, the membership card to the "Hair Club for Men", the Thigh Master and my collection of Peter Lemongello records.

Charley

Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 AM

9,342 posts, read 16,577,122 times
Not sure if it was the official "As seen on TV", but in the early 80s I bought two negative ion generators from Israel from a commercial. It was pre-Sharper Image Ionic Breeze.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 AM

17,981 posts, read 17,708,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Have you ever bought an "as seen on TV" item ?

Yes. I bought an attachment for my line trimmer that replaces the string under the promise that I'll "never have to buy line again". I attached it, went out to trim the edges and the darn thing broke right off the trimmer.

So I tossed it into the closet with the Ginsu knives, the Vegomatic, the Pocket Fisherman, the Oxyclean, the membership card to the "Hair Club for Men", the Thigh Master and my collection of Peter Lemongello records.

Charley
Can I have your OxyClean??? LOL I buy that stuff all the time, use it in my laundry and for all kinds of stuff...

YAY for oxyclean. I guess I buy that too....

Old 04-16-2008, 06:00 AM

9,256 posts, read 7,956,048 times
Yep, yep I did! I have Ron Popeil's Showtime, a food saver, had the flow-bee, I know there's more!!!

INFOMERCIAL SCAMS.COM this link is appropo today! Full of buyer bewares for all of us infomercial junkies.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:10 AM

17,834 posts, read 21,669,106 times
I am the proud owner of the "body by jake" ab thingy it does a great job

as a place to stack stuff in the 3rd bedroom
it also keeps the exercise bike company

I also fell prey and bought the "pancake puff" pan
this actually does work once you get down flipping them with the 2 long wooden skewers
the only problem is it takes time to make enough for a meal

One time I was at a housewares store and they had a live demo of one of the slicing things on a bowl lol I bought 6 of them guess what everyone got for Christmas that year
I think I only used ours once to slice potatos it took so log to clean that it now is on the highest shelf in the kitchen

thanks for the link poconoproud

Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 AM

28,227 posts, read 13,791,665 times
No I haven't-guess I'm the cynical type.

I do have a set of the Ginsu knives that daughter and son-in-law gave us-they're still in the box.

Postage stamps-I was at PO yesterday and all 5 clerks sounded like infomercials trying to sell anyone and everyone the new "Forever Stamps". I was looking for Ron Popiel to appear from a corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics