U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,317,381 times

Advertisements

Mike, are those the brail versions you buy??? LOL

Yes, I am an insatiable reader. I like mostly mysteries, but will often grab a biography or even a true crime murder book on occasion (I wonder what a shrink would say about that? Maybe I'm a closet serial killer - who knows???).

I will re-read a book, but usually by accident, by which I mean that I have forgotten that I'd read it! I swear, it's that white stuff on top of my head - it sucks my brains out! In fact, I just finished a book that I didn't realize I'd read it, till about 1/2 way thru it!

I like to read a series in order, but it doesn't usually happen that way for me.

Good ?? Karla.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 02:29 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,897,756 times
nomoresnow...love your line to Mike... lol too funny!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM

42,927 posts, read 19,844,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Mike, are those the brail versions you buy??? LOL
LOL.. Yeah that's it! The ones that I keep feeling large "bumps" in their pages...

Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 PM

19,333 posts, read 22,326,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning
happy Friday everyone
It is going to be a beautiful day here in NEFL high 79
I was thinking how nice it would be to sit out in the screenroom this afternoon with a good book. I haven't had much time lately to indulge myself in this favorite pastime,which made me wonder and resulted in

Todays question:

Are you a "reader" ?

Bonus question: Do you ever "reread" your favorites ?

Because I can't be the only one who does this, extra credit ?

If the book is part of a "series" or follows a certain character,do you have to read them in "order"

Wow I am making you all work hard on a Friday

Today in history:

April 18, 1924 1st crossword puzzle book published
April 18, 1934 1st "Washateria" (laundromat) opens (Ft. Worth, Texas)

Word of the day:

inveigle \in-VAY-guhl; -VEE-\, transitive verb:
1. To persuade by ingenuity or flattery; to entice.
2. To obtain by ingenuity or flattery.

Today is
:

National Animal Crackers Day
and
International Jugglers Day

This is also National Yo Yo weekend (18-20)
Questions first: Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Mentioning the first crossword book reminds that I work at least one every day. I am an animal about it, but they drive me crackers. After I juggle the tough ones toward the end of the week (NY Times) that include hints to answers like Washateria I inveigle my beautiful wife into helping out.

That was fun!

Now a question of my own. What genre do you like best, and what author(s) do you prefer in that genre? Titles?

I wonder... A thread that guesses what genre CDers prefer? I'd bet I would be an easy "read".

Old 04-18-2008, 04:24 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,197,580 times
The name of our homeschool is Bookworm Academy!

YES, I love to read. I don't reread as much as I'd like simply because I have too many other reading adventures waiting their turn. If I'm going to read a series that has continuity, I definitely must read the books in order. If, however, each book can stand on it's own, I don't have any problem reading them out of order.

Ahem... Mike, perhaps you got slapped because it appeared you didn't know where the lady's mind was located!

Last edited by Blueberry; 04-18-2008 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 04:28 PM

11,975 posts, read 10,584,696 times
Well, I'm a reader, but lately it has been mostly periodicals, newpapers and the darn internet. I think I could live in a library.
Usually don't re-read books or mags.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:06 PM

17,825 posts, read 21,456,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
So how about a followup? Where do you buy books? Used/New? Online?
I buy new I can't "borrow" books because Lola loves to "read" books and I don't want to return them damaged

there is a huge used book store not to far from me one of my JAX CD buddies and I are planning a trip there I am going to look for some old favorites
talk about "a kid in a candy store"

lol rdslots I actually thought your login had to do with slot machines
there right up there with book as some of my favorite things

what a great turn out we have had so far and it is only 6pm

Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 PM

12,676 posts, read 8,119,476 times
That's what I thought too, Karla! RD SLOTS. It just dawned on me the other day.
I love to read, always have. There are only a couple of books I have reread intentionally-but like nomoresnow I've been about halfway through a book before and thought-hey wait a minute...
I like to buy used books, and they always have a few for sale at our library. I can usually find at least one. It's nice to be able to have a stash!
Occasionally I will buy one at a store, but not often. There are so many here that I've read, and don't know what to do with-they are like treasures, I hate to part with them, but my house is pretty small!

Last edited by fuzzymystic; 04-18-2008 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
. . .or even a true crime murder book on occasion (I wonder what a shrink would say about that? Maybe I'm a closet serial killer - who knows???).
My former father-in-law was a retired district court judge, and he never could understand my fascination with true crime books -- John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, Son of Sam, or Bugliosi's Helter Skelter -- but I find it fascinating how the killer is eventually caught and brought to trial. I'd have made an incredible forensic scientist, if I had known there was such a profession years ago.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 PM

4,597 posts, read 7,493,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post

lol rdslots I actually thought your login had to do with slot machines
there right up there with book as some of my favorite things
Too funny, but a lot of people do assume rdslots has to do with slot machines. No, it's 'reads lots.' For a brief period, my eyes had been giving me a fit, and I toyed with changing it to reads not, but that looked even worse -- rdsnots.

Now, what I wanna know is why you readers are not participating in the Book Forum here at CD? We have all sorts of great topics, and have been conducting some great discussions on some recent titles. It's been an experiment of sorts with an online book club.

Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics