U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-21-2006, 09:49 AM

138 posts, read 349,922 times
Default smog laws

Are there any states that do not require catalytic converters? What states have the most lenient smog laws?

gptaz

Old 12-21-2006, 09:57 AM

3,021 posts, read 15,680,574 times
I don't think so legally. Florida used to sort of look the other way.

It probably comes down to car inspections. If you don't have them, probably can get away with just about anything. The non-bigger urban areas of OH don't have car inspections of any type.

Lots of Yahoos take advantage to put entire different exhaust systems on their junk. Probably doesn't have a Cat Converter but the chuckle side is they can't go too many places. Cops love those type citations. The big wheels scream, "Come Get Me".

Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM

31 posts, read 168,256 times
My question is that right now I am in California. I was born here and I detest this state. I bought a beautiful 98 Trans AM WS-6 from CarMax 2 years ago. I went to renew my tags and it needed to be smogged this year (which I think is a racket) and found out my car has "High Flow Aftermarket Catalytic Converters on it. This is the only reason it didn't pass smog. They said it's illegal. (I haven't done anything to my car other than lube and oil it.)
Does Virginia have this law as well? I am in the process of relocating there as soon as I can get a job. If I don't need to change my car I won't. 1. I love my car the way it is 2. I didn't buy my car for gas mileage 3. I don't have the money
Thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 AM

19,333 posts, read 15,826,372 times
Im not sure if my truck is equipped for Calif emissions testing and stuff, its an Az truck and I lived where there is none of that 'smog law' stuff so it was easy to register. Im just curious as to what its gonna take, or how much modifying (if any) to get it registered out here.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM

41,856 posts, read 18,721,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gptaz View Post
Are there any states that do not require catalytic converters? What states have the most lenient smog laws?

gptaz
If your vehicle was made after 1974, then it should have a catalytic converter, and they usually last for over 200,000 miles, as long as you don't use leaded gasoline, which I don't think you can find anywhere these days.

Many states' emission standards vary from county to county, I know in Arizona, only 2 counties have emission control requirements, and your vehicle will need to pass emission tests. In Maricopa County, which is mostly the Phoenix metro area, if your vehicle was made before 1975, it will be excempt from emission tests, and you won't have a hard time getting it registered. Pima County, which encompasses the Tucson metro area, also requires emission tests, but the rest of the counties that do not have a lot of people in them, which are Pinal, Graham, Coconino, Yavapai, Mohave, Navajo, Apache, Greenlee, Santa Cruz, Gila, Cochise, La Paz, and Yuma, you can get any vehicle registered without meeting emission standards.

See my reply to Livewire's message below for more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Im not sure if my truck is equipped for Calif emissions testing and stuff, its an Az truck and I lived where there is none of that 'smog law' stuff so it was easy to register. Im just curious as to what its gonna take, or how much modifying (if any) to get it registered out here.
Your truck, being a 2002, should have a catalytic converter, and emission control devices, regardless of where it was originally purchased and registered, and you shouldn't have to do much, other than get it tuned up, and clean/replace the fuel injectors (if needed) to get it to pass emission tests, and registered in California.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:38 PM

9,971 posts, read 6,173,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjharrisons#1fan View Post
My question is that right now I am in California. I was born here and I detest this state. I bought a beautiful 98 Trans AM WS-6 from CarMax 2 years ago. I went to renew my tags and it needed to be smogged this year (which I think is a racket) and found out my car has "High Flow Aftermarket Catalytic Converters on it. This is the only reason it didn't pass smog. They said it's illegal. (I haven't done anything to my car other than lube and oil it.)
Does Virginia have this law as well? I am in the process of relocating there as soon as I can get a job. If I don't need to change my car I won't. 1. I love my car the way it is 2. I didn't buy my car for gas mileage 3. I don't have the money
Thanks
I would suggest that you check with Virginia's Motor Vehicle Administration, I'm sure you can find that information online because like most states it varies from county to county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics