Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,065,909 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Monday though on the exercise thread we are pretending it is Tuesday rofl and you thought we were a little "off" on this thread
The inspiration for today ? came from a loyal poster, it was similar to the one I had in mind so I played around with both and the results leads us to

Todays 3 part question:

1. Back when you were little how did you answer the ? "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

2. Was there anything special that inspired you ?

3. What did you end up doing "when you grew up ?

lol yeah I know I am making you "work" this morning

Today in history:
April 28,1896 - The Addressograph was patented by J.S. Duncan of Sioux City, IA.
April 28, 1914 W. H. Carrier patents air conditioner
April 28, 1937 1st commercial flight across Pacific, Pan Am

Word of the day:
maelstrom \MAYL-struhm\, noun:
1. A large, powerful, or destructive whirlpool.
2. Something resembling a maelstrom; a violent, disordered, or turbulent state of affairs.

Today is:
National Blueberry Pie Day
it is also
National Cubicle Day
and how can we forget
National Kiss your mate day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,065,909 times
Todays 3 part question:

1. Back when you were little how did you answer the ? "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I wanted to be a Social Worker

My Mom, she got me involved with volunteering from a young age and I saw how you could make a difference in folks lives

lol well I spent 30 years in the finance/credit industry.

Though last fall I "celebrated" 34 years of volunteering so the "social worker" side of me happened, just in a different way.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,410,598 times
Todays 3 part question:

When I was in kindergarten I wanted to be a police officer. By the time I was in the 2nd grade, I had abandoned that idea and moved on to acting and singing classes.

I was inspired to act and sing more when I saw the crowd at a play (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) I acted in at the local theatre and how entertained they were by what we were doing.

I am not grown up yet (16 in October) but I plan on becoming a professional actor when I grow up. I hope to attend an acting conservatory. Probably CalArts.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,431,435 times
National Kiss Your Mate Day? Pucker-up, Baby. (Although I am so crazy about this man until I don't need an excuse.)

You know, this IS strange, but I cannot recall, as a small child what I said I wanted to be when I grew up. Maybe I was just too content being a child?

The earliest profession I seriously contemplated was a pediatrician. The inspiration had been my own -- a kind man with a great bedside manner who could make you wish you needed to go to the doctor! When I was in HS, I found science and math too challenging, was a little put-off by the schooling required to become an MD, and discovered I had always had a stronger talent with language(s).

Sometimes, I still regret not going to Medical School.

When I entered college, it was to write, but I had a literature/EDU professor who was such an inspiration until all I could think about was 'Man, if I could just turn kids ON to reading and books. . . like he did. . ." So, I completed the requirements for both my degree in English, and to teach English, grades 7-12. When my daughter was born, I had been teaching HS level for 15 years, and she became the inspiration to go back to school and get my elementary EDU certification. What fun! Being in an elementary classroom is like playing every day!

So, I seem to have come full-circle -- content with being a child, again.

I refuse, however, to consider myself 'grown up' -- grown-out, maybe.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:51 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,227,048 times
My best "bud" (my maternal grandfather) and I were going to run away to Arizona and be cowboys together. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out.

I ended having an extremely diverse career, with about 20 different jobs, most of them in the retail or customer service sectors.

Since I'll never grow up, I am now retired with my DH. Best career I ever had.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,363,557 times
When I was little I had two interests, Track and Field and Art. I won several awards in track in Fort Lauderdale and actually ran for Mcdonalds that sponcered many events in the early 70's. After highschool I gave up on art because of the lack of money in it. About 4 years ago I began to design skateboards on my own lable and am now able to spend some time designing custom pool cues and making them myself so after all these years I am finally doing something for love and not income.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:55 AM

534 posts, read 1,592,694 times
I wanted to be a teacher. I loved little babies/kids since the age of 8

I babysat all the time and helped in my church nursery for 13 years

I have worked with kids for 23 years(This started with the above jobs). I have taught pre-school, worked in daycare and now watch kids in my home.

National Blueberry Pie Day - See, something else I get to tell DH about the ? of the day. Blueberry pie is his absolute favorite. First pie I ever made(just for him, though I love it too.).

Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,534,309 times
I am another who never gave any thought to what I would be when I grew up.
Therefore I never had anyone who inspiered me.
I became a wife when I was 17. I remarried when I was 24. and had one son. I have now been married for 51 years. That is/was my career, ie..wife, mother,and homemaker ( with a few brief side occupations ).
Oh , I also most left out....full time Christian!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
I didn't have a clue.

The release of the IBM PC-1.

I now run my own computer consulting business.

Maelstrom reminds mew of last week. Started a project that should have taken, at most an hour and a half. Took closer to twenty. This is what happens when 1. A client tries to do something on the cheap and doesn't call me in during the set up process. 2. He ends up with idiots that are eager to sell, but not too eager to make sure what his entire set up looks like. 3. The same people don't send enough information to set up things when I do finally get called in. 4. The suppliers (hardware/software - different companies - start finger pointing. 5. One piece of equipment (a debit card pin pad) was never replaced so all the testing done with it failed. It took the supplier 4 days to figure it out. Instead of maybe $125-150 the project ended up costing closer to $1500. While I love the money, I hope the next time I get called in during the planning phase.

While getting all this sorted out I was juggling all my other client appointments. Quite the week.

Oh, the entire project was done with me sitting on a hard, backless stool. I still ache.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,171,575 times
Todays 3 part question:

A teacher, then I had a neighbor who was a can-can dancer at Six Gun Territory- and for a while I wanted to do that.

It wasn't inspiration, it just seemed that teacher or nurse were the only options.

In hindsight, I guess I like to influence people and am a bit of a show off- LOL!

3. What did you end up doing "when you grew up ? [/b]

I've done many things, the constants being writing- grants, policies & procedures, speeches & legislation; public speaking- trainer, program promotion, community presentations, lobbying; and management & budget- non-profit director and business owner. The positions that I have most enjoyed combined some of all of those responsiblities.

I have just gotten a license to be a community association manager, something that will enable me to transfer my skills into one job that will pay a living wage while allowing me the freedom to juggle my schedule to be a single parent to a great teen.

Word of the day:
maelstrom \MAYL-struhm\, noun:
1. A large, powerful, or destructive whirlpool.
2. Something resembling a maelstrom; a violent, disordered, or turbulent state of affairs.

My life is a maelstrom as I am transitioning job-wise.

Today is:

National Cubicle Day- I hate the cubes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics