U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 03:27 AM

84 posts, read 271,456 times

Advertisements

As I get closer to retirement and think about how hard I have worked for everything I have, I am concerned about crime issues.

I have never been a "gun nut", but over the past couple years I have been doing a lot of reading and slowly introduced to guns in general.

Where I used to be very afraid of all guns, I am now very, very comfortable with all types.

Guns do not hurt people............guns do not go off without someone pulling the trigger.

I have been through both shotgun and handgun training classes, practiced with a 45 semi auto and 38 special handguns and currently have a concealed carry license.

Taking these steps is a lifestyle change to protect life and home and possessions and I am seldom without a handgun on my person and close to my beside!!

I never thought I would be one to be in this situation, but now I am.

If you are against the second ammendment, think about it, read about it and look at the spread of crime in all cities and how it is moving into the gated and rural communities.

And don't be surprised how many seemingly mellow older folks are well protected in around their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,668 times
I agree with you 100%, I hope i never have to use a gun but....... I will if i have too...in this day and age.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 AM

367 posts, read 930,194 times
And isn't it sad that we live in a country where this is necessary

Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 AM

1,894 posts, read 5,742,487 times
There's nothing unique about our country. Sure, you can go live in the remotes of some other country...say Canada...and not have to worry so much about it. Mainly because your next neighbor is 50 miles away. Bring it back into the city, and you've got just as much of a chance to get mugged/robbed there as you do in downtown Anytown, USA.

This has been a fact of life since the first human picked up a rock and clubbed another human to steal his new wooly mamoth outfit or freshly cooked slab of cougar ribs. It only happened once to make the guy carve out a big 'ole wooden bat and wait for his unruly neighbor to come back and try it again.

We don't have to be a Yosemite Sam gun tootin' hootin' hollerin' populus. There just needs to be a clear message sent to thugs that they had better think twice before coming up to us and telling us to give them all our money. It's the watered down, numbed down mentality that we should "all just get along" that has made the general population such an easy target.

For your viewing pleasure:
YouTube - John Stossel Links Gun Control to Higher Crime Rates

Old 05-16-2008, 07:05 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,220,362 times
Metallisteve: Great post! I am gonna protect my wooly mammoth outfit, you better believe it, LOL!!! Thanks for some good humor as well as solid ideas.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 AM

367 posts, read 930,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
There's nothing unique about our country. Sure, you can go live in the remotes of some other country...say Canada...and not have to worry so much about it. Mainly because your next neighbor is 50 miles away. Bring it back into the city, and you've got just as much of a chance to get mugged/robbed there as you do in downtown Anytown, USA.

This has been a fact of life since the first human picked up a rock and clubbed another human to steal his new wooly mamoth outfit or freshly cooked slab of cougar ribs. It only happened once to make the guy carve out a big 'ole wooden bat and wait for his unruly neighbor to come back and try it again.

We don't have to be a Yosemite Sam gun tootin' hootin' hollerin' populus. There just needs to be a clear message sent to thugs that they had better think twice before coming up to us and telling us to give them all our money. It's the watered down, numbed down mentality that we should "all just get along" that has made the general population such an easy target.

For your viewing pleasure:
YouTube - John Stossel Links Gun Control to Higher Crime Rates
Well this video is talking about the US. You will find that crime rates, in many European cites where guns are strictly controlled, are much lower. That was the point of my origional post. Yes, having guns here is probably necessary and that is the shame

Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM

51,830 posts, read 29,919,168 times
My primary reason for keeping guns is only for recreation, shooting paper targets, and definitely not to go out there and start trouble. I also keep one of my handguns handy for defensive purposes. That definitely takes care of matters much faster than calling 911 and waiting.

I don't have any enemies, nor do I engage myself in any illegal activities, like drug dealing and things of that nature, so I don't have a reason to walk down a street with a sense of paranoia.

Most often, bad guys don't want to mess with anyone who's armed, so a firearm in the hands of a law-abiding citizen will act as a deterrent, and I know a couple of people, who have defended themselves by simply exhibiting the firearm, without firing any shots, to make it known to the bad guys that they were armed and ready to defend themselves.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 05-17-2008 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-17-2008, 09:20 AM

28,285 posts, read 39,947,386 times
One of my brothers lives close to Mexico in AZ. He and his wife both carry. Last time we were there they took us for a ride and he lifted a towel that was in the middle of the front seat so I would know there was a gun there. Pretty smart of him in my opinion.

They see illegals coming through all the time. He goes for early morning walks and sees interesting things. Once he saw a truck drive down a nearby cul de sac, turn around and slow down. Some one tossed a big bag out the passenger window. Later that day another truck came by, did the same turn around and someone got out to retrieve the bag. He figures it was marijuana.

They are good friends with Border Patrol and hear interesting stories from them also.

We have talked about buying and learning how to use guns for protection. So far it's not a priority, mainly because of where we live. That may change in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics