U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 PM

693 posts, read 2,138,875 times
Default St. Joseph Statues Used To Sell Houses

We sold our house when hundreds of other houses have gone unsold. I started to wonder why ours sold when most people are taking theirs off the market for the summer. Summer is a bad time to sell in Green Valley; the snowbirds have left for cooler climates. Then I remembered that I had buried a St. Joseph statue AND a St. Jude statue in the front yard. St. Joseph statues are known to sell homes for a reason that I don’t know. The small St. Joseph statues are sold as “the burying kind.” I decided that a St. Jude statue would give us the extra help that we would need in this economy and down-turn in the housing market. St. Jude is the “saint of lost causes.” Now I am feeling bad that I took this opportunity to beat the market when I really thought that burying statues was just a superstition.

When I bought the St. Joseph statue I was told that it was supposed to be buried upside down facing the house. Some other people said that he should be facing the street. I decided that both statues would be enclosed in a plastic baggy and buried laying flat. I mean, who wants to be buried upside down? Now, according to most of the statue sellers, the statue of St. Joseph should be unearthed and displayed in a prominent place in the new house. I think that I’ll display both statues on my desk in the new house.

When I thought about it I recalled that I had buried a St. Joseph statue in the yard of our last house in Green Valley and also in the yard of our house in South Milwaukee when it was for sale. I also remembered that when our South Milwaukee house sold I couldn’t remember where St. Joseph was buried. I hadn’t marked the spot. This time I made sure that there was a mound of stone marking the burial site.

At least once a year there is a newspaper article about the “burying of St. Joseph.” One Tucson store claims to sell about 200 of these statues each year. One real-estate agent, mentioned in the article, provides the statue for the house that is up for sale. Hmmmm. Maybe our track record indicates that this is more than a superstition!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:42 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,119,447 times
Hey, don't laugh. It worked for us, too.

We buried poor St. Joseph upside down facing towards our new home (per the instructions on the kit) and we managed to sell within a couple of months, which was really good at the time. I had him on the window sill over the kitchen sink so I could see him every day and give him a little "thank you". However, my little sister needs help selling a house, so I sent him to her, and she promised to give him back once he does his thing.

Try it - what can it hurt?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,458,136 times
Last year when we first listed I talked DH into burying St. Joseph-he was not happy but I did it-buried him in the backyard facing the street. Showings stopped immediately and DH blamed me! I looked so hard to find the statue (have many holes to prove it) and finally gave up.

We re-listed 3 weeks ago and last week I looked out back and saw something "grey" pushing up thru the grass-lo and behold it was the statue. I dug it up, washed it and have it in the house in a house plant facing out. Plus saying attached prayer everyday. I do have St. Jude statues as he's my patron Saint. I'm so happy he'ss worked for you both and hope he helps us.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,702,708 times
I tried this with a bottle of St. Joseph's aspirin and it also works. Just make sure you remove the cotton from the bottle first. It also helps if the Realtor's name is Mary, especially if she drives a late model chariot.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:42 PM

377 posts, read 823,480 times
My house has been up for sale for four months with barely any action. I buried St Joseph immediately when we listed the house the first day. Now, everytime I mow the lawn I swear I hear someone giggling....

Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 PM

25,441 posts, read 8,790,339 times
I have used St. Joseph many times for the homes that I have listed for sale. With the seller's permission, of course. Actually have never had it make one bit of difference, sadly.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM

11,057 posts, read 9,343,117 times
I've heard about St. Joseph helping folks sell their home too. I've also heard placing a bowl of uncooked rice on top of your toilet tank will help with getting a mortgage. Anyone ever hear that one?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM

8,002 posts, read 13,023,795 times
It worked for me (or so I let myself think). My house was on the market for a year. My husband and I disagreed about the statue, long story, but he thought it would jinx us. Finally after one year on the market I ordered a St. Joseph's statue off of E-bay. Not kidding you, the day I got it in the mail, had it in my hand ready to go bury, my agent called me with an offer. SOLD!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 AM

7,912 posts, read 6,850,281 times
I too have used St. Joseph. I was told he is upside down and facing the street... I have the Novena you say daily for 10 days too.
realtor 201 class :-)

Old 05-23-2008, 11:46 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,775,156 times
I buried one when I was selling my house - Needless to say, I took it off the market and kept him buried...I relisted and sold in a week.

Now Do I believe it works? Who knows. I just think I was lucky...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics