Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 10:04 AM

424 posts, read 159,825 times

Advertisements

Hi, new member here, I hope you don't mind me joining in? I'm bored and it's hard to find forums this active these days.

What types of films do you like best?
TBH, I don't really watch many films. Probably animated.

If you were going to start your own business, what would it be?
Something with historical woodwind instruments.

What is your earliest memory?
Probably 1992/1993 thereabouts. I have vague memories of being in my tiny little bed in my room back in the early days.

Which of your teachers would you like to sit down and have a talk with today?
Probably could talk to my high school band directors and apologize to them. I wasn't the most pleasant to them.

If you could ask one question of an all-knowing being, what would it be?
If one existed, I would most certainly ask why it allows humans to speak on its behalf and create religions causing much suffering.

Who from your past that you’ve fallen out of touch with would you most like to reconnect with?
I hate to say, but maybe my ex from the late 2000s. We were best friends throughout the late 2000s and it's heartbreaking that we've lost that. At the same time, the silent treatment I've gotten over the last many years can not be easily mended. Plus, if they really don't want me in their life, they don't have to have me. I just think it's sad how we went from being so close to nothing.

What are your five favorite snacks?
Whole-grain Goldfish crackers, Whole-Grain Cheez-Its, Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel Snaps, Whole Foods Organ thin & crispy tortilla chips, Lays chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 10:59 AM

33,228 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, May 15, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Taurus. Some famous people born in this date include authors L. Frank Baum and Laura Hillenbrand, scientist Pierre Curie, actors Joseph Cotten and James Mason; singer-songwriters Eddy Arnold, and K. T. Oslin; artist Jasper Johns, photographer Richard Avedon, businessman Roger Ailes, musician Brian Eno and actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler.

Today’s Questions:
What types of films do you like best? I don't really have a favorite movie genre.

What is your earliest memory? I don't have very many memories of my early life, but my earliest memory is a ghost of a memory from when I was six months old of the apartment my parents moved into when they first moved to Gulfport, Fla. in 1954.

Which of your teachers would you like to sit down and have a talk with today? None

If you could ask one question of an all-knowing being, what would it be? Chocolate or vanilla?

Who from your past that you’ve fallen out of touch with would you most like to reconnect with? No one . . . I guess.

What are your five favorite snacks? I'm not much for snacks.

Today in History:
1536 – Anne Boleyn, Queen of England, stands trial in London on charges of treason, adultery and incest; she is condemned to death by a specially-selected jury.
1602 – Cape Cod sighted by English navigator Bartholomew Gosnold.
1618 – Johannes Kepler confirms his previously rejected discovery of the third law of planetary motion (he first discovered it on March 8 but soon rejected the idea after some initial calculations were made).
1817 – Opening of the first private mental health hospital in the United States, the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason (now Friends Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania).
1851 – The first Australian gold rush is proclaimed, although the discovery had been made three months earlier.
1864 – American Civil War: Battle of New Market, Virginia: Students from the Virginia Military Institute fight alongside the Confederate army to force Union General Franz Sigel out of the Shenandoah Valley.
1891 – Pope Leo XIII defends workers' rights and property rights in the encyclical Rerum novarum, the beginning of modern Catholic social teaching.
1905 – The city of Las Vegas, Nevada is founded.
1911 – In Standard Oil Co. of New Jersey v. United States, the United States Supreme Court declares Standard Oil to be an "unreasonable" monopoly under the Sherman Antitrust Act and orders the company to be broken up.
1919 – The Winnipeg general strike begins. By 11:00, almost the whole working population of Winnipeg walks off the job.
1932 – In an attempted coup d'état, the Prime Minister of Japan Inukai Tsuyoshi is assassinated.
1933 – All military aviation organizations within or under the control of the RLM of Germany were officially merged in a covert manner to form its Wehrmacht military's air arm, the Luftwaffe.
1940 – World War II: The Battle of the Netherlands: After fierce fighting, the poorly trained and equipped Dutch troops surrender to Germany, marking the beginning of five years of occupation.
1940 – Richard and Maurice McDonald open the first McDonald's restaurant.
1941 – First flight of the Gloster E.28/39 the first British and Allied jet aircraft.
1942 – World War II: In the United States, a bill creating the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) is signed into law.
1948 – Following the expiration of The British Mandate for Palestine, the Kingdom of Egypt, Transjordan, Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Saudi Arabia invade Israel, thus starting the 1948 Arab–Israeli War.
1957 – At Malden Island in the Pacific Ocean, Britain tests its first hydrogen bomb in Operation Grapple.
1963 – Project Mercury: The launch of the final Mercury mission, Mercury-Atlas 9 with astronaut Gordon Cooper on board. He becomes the first American to spend more than a day in space, and the last American to go into space alone.
1970 – President Richard Nixon appoints Anna Mae Hays and Elizabeth P. Hoisington the first female United States Army generals.
1988 – Soviet–Afghan War: After more than eight years of fighting, the Soviet Army begins to withdraw 115,000 troops from Afghanistan.
1991 – Édith Cresson becomes France's first female Prime Minister.
1997 – The United States government acknowledges the existence of the "Secret War" in Laos and dedicates the Laos Memorial in honor of Hmong and other "Secret War" veterans.
1997 – The Space Shuttle Atlantis launches on STS-84 to dock with the Russian space station Mir.
2001 – A CSX EMD SD40-2 rolls out of a train yard in Walbridge, Ohio, with 47 freight cars, including some tank cars with flammable chemical, after its engineer fails to reboard it after setting a yard switch. It travels south driverless for 66 miles (106 km) until it was brought to a halt near Kenton.[6] The incident became the inspiration for the 2010 film “Unstoppable.”
2004 – Arsenal F.C. go an entire league campaign unbeaten in the English Premier League, joining Preston North End F.C. with the right to claim the title "The Invincibles".
2008 – California becomes the second U.S. state after Massachusetts in 2004 to legalize same-sex marriage after the state's own Supreme Court rules a previous ban unconstitutional.
2010 – Jessica Watson becomes the youngest person to sail, non-stop and unassisted around the world solo.

Word of the Day:
spanghew verb
To throw violently in the air; especially, to throw (a frog) into the air from the end of a stick.

Quote of the Day:
“Anything is an art if you do it at the level of an art.”
– Jasper Johns

Today Is:
Peace Officers Memorial Day
National Nylon Stocking Day
Take Your Parents to the Playground Day
National Chocolate Chip Day
Thanks, Bayarea.

Old 05-15-2022, 11:25 AM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Today’s Questions:
Most films that are action related like. SiFi, Espionage, Westerns and Comedy.

Craft supply store.

Playing with a neighbor friend that I was told not too.

Coach Robinson.He suspended me.

Don't think this being exists.

Who from your past that you’ve fallen out of touch with would you most like to reconnect with?
Jimmy Applegate, the neighbor friend and Bill Castleman a HS friend.

Popcorn, ice cream, Fritos, beef jerky and salsa and tortilla chips.

Thanx Bayarea4 for some coolQ's.

Old 05-15-2022, 01:28 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Today’s Questions:
Thrillers

If you were going to start your own business, what would it be? I would never start my own business.

What is your earliest memory? Refusing to eat. Putting food in my mouth and not swallowing it.

Which of your teachers would you like to sit down and have a talk with today? My high school American History teacher.

If you could ask one question of an all-knowing being, what would it be? You mean Alexa? Since I spent the last 2 weeks with birds, I wanted to know when a male and female bird look exactly alike, how do you or they know the bird's sex? I don't know about them but apparently in most birds where the male and female look exactly alike, either the male or female (depends on the bird) is slightly smaller but you would only know if they were standing next to each other and you knew whether a male or female of that type of bird was the smaller one. Google search. Anyway, that may not be profound but it was the last thing I wanted to know.

Who from your past that you’ve fallen out of touch with would you most like to reconnect with? A friend from high school.

ice cream, frozen pudding, salted cashews that are not roasted, solid milk chocolate and it used to be pretzel rods but they don't put enough salt on them anymore.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:50 PM

7,367 posts, read 5,480,532 times
Today’s Questions:
What types of films do you like best? dramas, true life stories.

If you were going to start your own business, what would it be? a womens clothing store.

What is your earliest memory? I think I was 4, walking with my dad in our neighborhood.

Which of your teachers would you like to sit down and have a talk with today? none.

If you could ask one question of an all-knowing being, what would it be? why is the world like this God?

Who from your past that you’ve fallen out of touch with would you most like to reconnect with? my ex-best friend.

What are your five favorite snacks? ice cream. Peanut butter filled pretzels, chips, candy, cookies.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:05 PM

12,229 posts, read 2,964,782 times
Today’s Questions:
Rom coms.
A chocolatiers.
My mother being abusive.
My high school algebra teacher. A rare good one.
No one.
Ice cream.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:14 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Hi Hi

Today’s Questions:
What types of films do you like best? Suspense, comedy

What is your earliest memory? Playing with my paper dolls

Which of your teachers would you like to sit down and have a talk with today? None

Who from your past that you’ve fallen out of touch with would you most like to reconnect with? No one

What are your five favorite snacks? Pistachios, Trader Joe's Mini Chocolate Ice Cream cones, Utz potato chips, clementines, raw almonds

Today in History:
Thanks Bay!

Today Is:
Peace Officers Memorial Day
National Nylon Stocking Day
Take Your Parents to the Playground Day
National Chocolate Chip Day

Enjoy the evening...

Old 05-15-2022, 05:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Today’s Questions:
Varies....no favorites
No thank you
three or four years old
An old English teacher and an old social studies teacher

I try not to snack too much or often.
Fruit, cheese, nuts, ice cream, chips and dip

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 05-15-2022 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-15-2022, 09:04 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Today’s Questions:
-All of them. I like Toy Story, Seven, and Singin' in the Rain.

-Not these days, but it would have been sorting and organizing people's stuff.

-I was two years old and sitting in a playpen in the living room with a saturated cloth diaper.

-My eighth literature/writing teacher. She caused me to want to read things which I had never considered.

-If there was ever a plan, when or where did it go terribly wrong? Maybe it didn't.

-A woman from the hiking club that I used to belong to. She was weird, nice, funny, and interesting. I've called her a couple of times and she didn't respond. I couldn't find an obituary.

-Favorites are seasonal. I eat more nuts and cheese during the winter, and more produce and deli salads when it's hot outside.

Thanks for the questions.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:42 PM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Today’s Questions:
I am a big fan of classic movies, especially musicals.
A clothing store for women like me who are hard to fit because we're short but not "petite."
My mother putting me to bed in my crib. The room was dim, lit only by a nightlight casting a soft golden glow on the pink and blue floral wallpaper. I must have been about two. As Mom left the room, I remember feeling sad. I watched the door close behind her, wanting her to come back but knowing that she wouldn't.
I'd like to thank Mr. Albert Van Wichen, my seventh-grade homeroom teacher, for being so kind and supportive when I was being emotionally abused at home. He was my hero, and I adored him. A few years ago I looked him up on findagrave.com and learned that he was a hero in real life. He was Dutch, and while living in Holland as a young man he had risked his own life helping the Resistance save Jews from the Nazis.
Does the afterlife actually exist, or when we die do we simply cease to exist, just like it was before we were born?
My first boyfriend, Bill O'Hare. He lived in Waco, Texas. We used to exchange birthday cards every year, then he suddenly stopped writing. I would love to know what happened to him.
Lindt Lindor milk chocolate truffles
Roasted lightly salted peanuts
String cheese
Apple slices
Whole grain crackers or cheese crackers

Thanks to everyone for your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics