U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM
NCN

14,085 posts, read 12,292,731 times

Advertisements

I got a wonderful e-mail about this talking about a man who considers a penny and the message "In God We Trust" a blessing. Me, no I don't pick up just a penny. I am getting too old and a penny is not worth a possible back problem. Sometimes I may, but not as a rule. I just feel fortunate to be able to keep walking. If I was able to get down there to pick it up, I doubt I would know which way I picked it up.

BTW how is hubby doing?

We have an old churn half full of change in our bedroom. We will let the children worry about what to do with them when we are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 AM

797 posts, read 2,108,696 times
I don't have time to look for coins, but I don't have to worry about it either... my boys spend most of their time looking for pennies and everything else! I can't let them keep them most of the time because they like to put them in their mouth! It's weird too because they are 8 years old. It must be something about the shine or taste of metal they like.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,004,395 times
Talking Heads Up!

I love the saying "find a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck!!!!"
I usually pick one up and give it to someone who seems to be having a hard day!

Also, on the nursery school, I am so happy with the nursery school that my son goes to! They teach him everything that I would teach him if I didn't have to work!!!!! They are also helping me with his potty training!

Also, did anyone else get confused by the rock opera "Tommy" or was it just me!?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 AM

42,938 posts, read 19,853,763 times
One thing to keep in mind, with the price of copper these days, a penny is probably worth a lot more than a penny, so if you find a penny on the ground, it might be a good idea to pick it up.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 AM

8,893 posts, read 3,050,699 times
Sometimes I will pick it up, doesn't matter if it's heads up or down.

Love taffy!!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM

25,391 posts, read 31,739,660 times
I always pick it up, heads or tails, doesn't matter.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

11,188 posts, read 9,545,948 times
I will swear this question was asked on another day. MM gave the same answer. "She turned out to be married." I laughed the first time I read his response and chuckled again today. Please tell me I'm not losing my mind, anyone else remember this question being asked at an earlier date?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,496,852 times
Default A penny for your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
I have picked up many a penny,
because a penny saved is a penny earned!

I consider it good luck if said penny is heads up,
all the day I'll have good luck!

Hail to the sea turtle!
Same here. Poconoproud said it just like I would have, so in the interest of not being redundant, I won't. I might ask, though, if you stumble across a penny on the ground, tails up, do you pass it by, or throw it over a shoulder to ward off the bad luck, much like tossing salt? I toss it, then pick it up.

I also believe that by sharing the penny, you share the luck.

Interesting things. . . pennies. Brides tuck one into a shoe, teenagers have put them in loafers. At one time, a penny was large enough to be cut and divided -- a ha'penny was actually worth something, including admission to the theater of Shakespeare's day. Friends of mine from the UK sent me a good luck penny, in a card, in celebration of my marriage years ago. I actually collect 'wheat' pennies, and to this very day have a Beatrix Potter Mrs. Rabbit penny bank, full of pennies dated the year I was born that my parents saved for me.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 AM

42,938 posts, read 19,853,763 times
Quote:
Today is :
National Penny Day
National Sea Turtle Day
National Penny Day, I guess it's good to celebrate it, even though right now I'm Penny Less... - I do have a quarter, and $22 in paper money on me though.

And.. if I Sea a Turtle.. I'll tell him hi!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,496,852 times
Default On a personal note, May 23rd for us. . .

Today is Mr. Rdslots's birthday. Happy Birthday, Sweetie-Petey.

Note: no mention of which one this represents. He is giving me ALL of his birthdays now, which is interesting, no? I get all of the presents, the well-wishes, the cards, the gifts, the cake and ice cream, the balloons, and all he has to show for it is greying hair and the like. It isn't like he isn't going to age, but isn't that thoughtful of him? Give me ALL of his birthdays. Most generous, don't you think? I just love this man.

May 23rd is also our wedding anniversary. The year we were married my poor Mother had the hardest time seeing her way around the fact that May 23rd was a Tuesday. Where is it written one must marry on a Friday evening, or any time during a Saturday, or Sunday before say 9:00 p.m. when people have to give thought to the start of the work week?

What is the traditional celebration of a 13th wedding anniversary? Maybe have some salt water taffy, save a sea turtle, present his sweet self with a penny, celebrate we are both nursery school graduates, rent a copy of the rock opera Tommy, and purchase a copy of the Cliff Notes of it, if they exist, so we can understand all its nuances? I am thinking perhaps we just need to pursue our sybarite selves, if only for today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics