U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,841 times
Default Bulk of unwanted junk mail cluttering our mailboxes

Most of us think of unwanted junk mail as an afterthought.

However junk mail is indeed an irritating form of advertisement. Every day, we are bombarded with bulks of unwanted junk mail that clutter our mailbox from the post office. Yet, most of us complain and rant about seeing annoying commercials that come on our television or radio every day, not the mail we receive from the mail carrier directly from the local post office. The mail we receive, beside bills, bank statements, and other important items, are all unwanted junk mail. All of them end up in the garbage can without taking a first look at them. However, there are people who do recycle unwanted mail such as mail order catalogs, and advertisements.

Unwanted junk mail such as credit card solicitation offers, political mail that comes every election season, mail order catalogs, surveys, sweepstakes, Val-Pac coupons, PennySaver, local newspaper inserts (food, department, and drug stores), ADVO Mailbox Values, Money Mailer coupons, magazine subscriptions, and local business flyers.

Stopping unwanted junk mail will protect the environment and declutter our mailbox. No need to spend so much time to shed them in order to our personal information.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM

19,416 posts, read 16,183,407 times
Not mine. I have a p.o. box and this particular place doesnt accommodate junk mail. They dont even deliver it to my postal place.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 PM

11,617 posts, read 10,115,415 times
Hey, junk mail is the highlight of a retiree's day, it's what we look forward too.

Just kidding. It does get a little over bearing especially during political season.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:01 PM

23,594 posts, read 15,466,501 times
I agree with Icee Racer,,,,, I hate junk mail in the mailbox. Iíve had my name and address removed from several major advertising agencies and it was reduced a little. I also asked the banks and other companies to stop sending advertising and that too helped. Then I checked with the government post office for my area and asked that they stop delivering some of the other unwanted 3rd class bulk mail. They told me that they couldnít stop delivering it because they are required to deliver bulk mail to every address and they make a large amount of money for delivering it.

Anytime you have your name and address in government records, driver license or owning property, they sell that information to agencies to make money. Once your name is on the list it moves around the country like crazy.

You can google information on (websites) how to remove you name and phone from these lists.

http://bestsmileys.com/mail/7.gif (broken link)

And I don't want to pay for a mailbox rental just to avoid junk.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:58 AM

19,416 posts, read 16,183,407 times
Actually Im not paying rental to avoid junk mail. Some post offices do deliver it. But my reasons are more for security. Some areas, including and especially when I lived back in Az, kids/vandals or just plain troublemakers have been known to mess with mailboxes, dumping mail into the street, taking it, putting it into another mailbox. Sure, its a federal offense but who's got time when you work all day, to try and catch those culprits in the act (not even knowing who, where or when they hit next)?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 AM

9,925 posts, read 8,588,570 times
We have a "no advertising material accepted" notice on our letterbox and it's against the law here too. Anyone putting advertising material in our letter box can be fined. Of course that doesn't stop the real estate agents, who seem to be above the law in my area , but I simply ring them, inform them I've recieved unsolicited mail from them and that they can be fined and that I will be reporting it to the EPA. I've had varied success with that. Generally now I inform them that given that they've repeatedly ignored our requests there is no chance we will ever engage their services. That seems to have slowed them down a little.

Also we have a "Do Not Call" Register here which stops unsolicited phone calls from telemarketers.

We can't stop political advertising, apparently we have to accept that, but usually it is personally addressed to the occupant and goes immediately in the shredder. Any other kind of advertisting material received that is specifically addressed to me, I ring the company, advise them I do not want to be on their mailing list and request they remove me.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:06 PM

1,641 posts, read 3,335,814 times
Odd one out here. I like getting some of the advertising. I am quite a coupon collector, and I save a lot of money at the drycleaners from my ValPac coupons, at the grocery from coupons in my WinnDixie ads, etc. I only buy things I would normally buy, but I'll tell you that my partner and I save over $100 monthly with those coupons. (I track stuff like that - way too analytical) Bring em on.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM

42,418 posts, read 19,244,631 times
Livewire, I know a lot of my junk mail consists of credit card and mortgage and loan offers, at least mine does. Some companies are notorious for selling your information to their partners, so if for some reason a financial institution generates a marketing letter that has a credit card offer in it, with your name and P.O. box address on it, does it get delivered to you?

I never had a P.O. box before, we have 2 secured community mailboxes in the subdivision I live in, so it's almost like having a P.O. box, except I get those stupid weekly advertisement flyers, which always end up in my recycle bin.

Of course junk mail that contains my personal information goes directly into my shredder.

Old 05-30-2008, 05:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 3,930,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Livewire, I know a lot of my junk mail consists of credit card and mortgage and loan offers, at least mine does. Some companies are notorious for selling your information to their partners, so if for some reason a financial institution generates a marketing letter that has a credit card offer in it, with your name and P.O. box address on it, does it get delivered to you?

I never had a P.O. box before, we have 2 secured community mailboxes in the subdivision I live in, so it's almost like having a P.O. box, except I get those stupid weekly advertisement flyers, which always end up in my recycle bin.

Of course junk mail that contains my personal information goes directly into my shredder.
Ditto! Not a day goes by that we don't recieve half a dozen credit card offers from banks that we've never even heard of. And our kids started recieving them too, way back in middle school. The thing that really kills me is that not only is this a terrible waste of natural resources, but the American consumer is subsidizing it. It costs money to put out that quantity of printed, and I do not for one second believe it is "the cost of doing business!" Who do you think they pass that cost onto? I think it is high time for big business to be held accountable for what they contribute to land fills.

Most of our junk mail, flyers and such, get recycled right along with the newspaper. Anything with sensitive material gets shredded and goes to the compost pile in my garden. The worms love it!

Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 PM

1,641 posts, read 3,335,814 times
It's very easy to get off the credit card offers list. They are required to provide an "opt out" number on the solicitation where you can add your name to the national "Do not mail" list. It takes awhile to process that (not from the mail list side, but from the solicters' side because typically it takes at least 2 months for them to process a solicitation campaign. And, after that, if you continue to get solicitations, you can sue them.

Credit card companies will NOT approve a credit card to an PO box, and to my knowledge they also will not solicit to a PO box, at least the companies I worked for would not. Too risky.

But you get these offers all the time because (1) you aren't on the don't mail list, and (2) you have good credit. It's very competitive and they rely on a certain percentage of these campaigns to gain business. They aren't always the bad guy. If they didn't gain this business, they wouldn't be able to offer the attractive rates a lot of folks get, and thus would lose more business ... blah blah blah. But face it, People like credit cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics