U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 AM

5,826 posts, read 6,207,156 times

Advertisements

Newspaper delivery in very rural WV mountain hollows. The single route spanned 150 miles going into mountain crevices and included a whole heap of places way, way off a paved road. Since it was the backwoods areas of the mountains, there was virtually no cell phone reception, no trucker activity and so if I had a breakdown way out here during the darkest parts of the night, I'd have been SOL. Add my disability to the picture and it could have turned from bad to worse. Did it for 5 months and still not sure how I endured it that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,416,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
What is the strangest, oddest or funniest job you have ever applied for ?

I applied to be the CEO for Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream - and have the documentation to prove it! It was part of a nationwide contest run many years ago by the company. Those who applied received a letter and a certificate that says, "We Almost Wanted You".

Charley,
who would be much wealthier today had he been able to buy all that Ben and Jerry's with an employee discount!
I found the certificate. Along with a ridiculous picture of Ben and Jerry wearing Uncle Sam Wants You type hats - made to look like B&J Ice Cream containers, it says in part...

"Congratulations. You did a great job on your application. It warms our hearts and blows our minds that someone of your high-calibre would even consider a career with us.

Your impassioned eloquence, remarkable qualifications, and astonishing ability to consume super premium ice cream and frozen yogurt convinced the search team to put your name near the top of our long short list.

What a rich, fulfulling life you've led. And what an appetite!

That said, it is with mixed ingredients that we give you the bad news and the good news. The bad news is you didn't get the CEO job. The good news, however, is that you didn't get the CEO job.

But now you can tell your children and grandchildren you came this close to running our company.

To say you are over-qualified might seem like a chea kiss-off (And it might tick off our new CEO and who needs that?). So let's just say that your talents and potential convinced us that a much higher calling awaits you.

Yo! Go and follow your destiny. You're just too valuable to the world to be peddling ice cream."

Old 06-07-2008, 09:20 AM

9,678 posts, read 10,958,350 times
Never really had a strange job but I do love Chocolate ice cream.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM

5,826 posts, read 6,207,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
I found the certificate.
That has to be one of the most eloquently written rejection letters I've ever heard of.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,467,591 times
I used to live near the factory. It was an interesting place, from what I heard about it. The people were very laid back 70's types. Sounds like they had a lot of fun there.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:36 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,416,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I used to live near the factory. It was an interesting place, from what I heard about it. The people were very laid back 70's types. Sounds like they had a lot of fun there.
I toured the factory with my sons when they were younger. We used to take what we called "Trips from Hell" where "the boys" would just pack for two days, point the car in a direction and drive. The tour was $1 each and we had a great time! You're right. It appeared that everyone enjoyed working for the company.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,467,591 times
And the ice cream ain't bad, either! LOL

Old 06-07-2008, 10:31 AM

25,441 posts, read 8,984,255 times
Weird, yukky, etc. jobs??? Because of moving so many times many years ago, I did have a variety of jobs. Worked for a large department store in the bookkeeping section. Stood at a long table and had boxes filled with personal checks. My 'job' was to sort these pieces of many coloured papers alphabetically. Now checks that had the writer's name printed on them eliminated any questions as to what pile they would eventually land in. But try reading some of the script that so many would use! Would put the undetermined signature checks in a separate pile until I could get back to them.

Began this new job one Monday morning at 8 a.m., went to lunch at 12 noon. Took the bus home and never went back!! Oh, I was not quite 18 then and said I was older. Had started my bookkeeping career at 15 at a bank in St. Louis. Of course my birth certificate at that time had been slightly altered by my Mom to add a few years to my life. No, I do not use that certificate at all any longer...

Had many other 'jobs' over the years...telemarketer, door to door salesman (woman), Worked 1 week at a well known fast food restaurant that has black and white as their colour scheme, no, not S & S. Had to wipe up the floor in front of the counter. Ever notice how many ignorant souls will 'spit' on floors? that was my yukiest job. Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Banana splits, oh, how wonderful! Love to make them as well as eat them. What a delight!

Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM

56,115 posts, read 12,038,240 times
I think working at a chinese candy factory when I was 16,I was packing all this sticky stuff all day,ugh! only lasted me one day
love the banana split!

Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 AM

24,324 posts, read 16,388,126 times
Washing dishes in a diner on the evening & nightshift until the early morning hours back when I was 13~14 years old in the late 50s. Bus tables, mopped floors, peeled potatoes, and washed dishes by hand (no machines then) though out summer vacation from school. All for 50cents an hour and Id get a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics