U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 PM

19,532 posts, read 22,750,292 times

Advertisements

A fertilizer distribution center next to a stockyard. The pens next to the facility I worked in held sheep. The mix of the sharp tang of fertilizer and the unbelievable stench of sheep in rain was a mix I'll never forget, and prefer not to experience first hand ever gain, thankyouverymuch.

Cleaning the pit in a paper factory where all the "unwanteds" ended up. It is amazing what is left over after making paper. And gross. climbed into a pit 8 feet deep, 10 feet wide, 20 feet long. You get a big shovel and waders and scoop the muck onto a ledge above you. If you miss, you'd better move, fast.

Making cardboard tubes, wound in a spiral, that were 20 feet long off the machine, then cut to about 2 feet. Ended up holding hand grenades for shipment to Viet Nam. Same place: Melting tar in a big heated tub that was used to seal the tubes. Stank to high heaven. I still hate the smell.

Pulling targets at a shooting range. Actually kind of fun, but you had to be careful. Those were live rounds flying above your head. Wait for a shot, look for the hole in the target and wave a flag that tells the shooter where it hit. Some of them really got irate if they missed and you flagged it. They thought they hit the target and didn't, but they know they're a better shot so they couldn't have missed, could they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 05:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,396,803 times
When I was in the USAF, part of my responsibilities working on the Boeing 737s the Air Force uses as navigator trainers was servicing the lavatory. Not a fun job, especially if you don't get the connection to the hose just right!

Second yuckiest job was washing the 737!

Last year, I applied for a job passing gas! Ultimately, I decided that servicing industrial gasses wasn't for me.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-08-2008 at 06:05 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 06:17 AM

17,834 posts, read 21,663,718 times
there are some interesting and very entertaining posts for this question

I guess I am kind of boring
though once I was at a trade show with the company I worked for and in the booth next to ours was a company who offered the recorded messages for companies incoming phone calls
they said I had a great voice and asked me to come in and "audition" since it was something I could do in my free time I said why not
the audition consisted of me saying over & over
"Your call is important to us,thank you for your patience"
and also adding little tidbits about the company
they had me do several different versions for different companies lol it was hard keeping that "smile in your voice" for 2 hours
I ended up moving to Fl so never took the job

another what turned out to be a strange interview
I had just graduated and saw an ad for a customer service phone job
well lol since I was pretty good on the phone & had been told I had a sales type personality I thought hmmm this would be perfect
I couldn't figure out why I sat in the reception area for over an hour waiting to be interviewed.

what I didn't know till I got there that it was for a dating service
remember way back when the had matchbooks that advertised different things well lol this dating service had tons of ads on the matchbooks so folks would fill them out and send them in
the job was calling the folks and get them to setup appointments to come in
so the sales dept could sign them up
so the reason they had applicants sit so long was they thought having girls sitting in the waiting area would help to convince the prospective members that they had lots of young women in the program

rofl I was a pretty naive 17 yr old at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics