U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 PM

9,638 posts, read 10,506,582 times
Default How could this happen?

We bought a new propane BBQ a couple of monthes ago, it has worked great, well today I turn on a couple burners and begin to preheat, my wife goes out a few minutes later and puts on the ribeyes (yum), about 4 minutes later I hear her say the steaks are on fire, well this doesn't suprise me with her cooking, I've my share of burn't food. I go out the door and see her standing infront of the BBQ, 3 very burn't steaks to one side and the darn BBQ is on fire, not a drippings fire with flames and such but the BBQ itself is turning into a white firework show by itself, sparks and molten metal. I tell her to get away from the self destructing china made killing machine, I grab the water hose which I knew better and as I get ready to spray the molten metal sparks have caught my fence on fire, so I spray the fence but the metel keeps burning so I turn on the BBQ and the white spark throughing metal explodes with a boom crack and burning metal goes everwhere but it doesn't go out. I told the wife to go call 911, the fence is still on fire, the BBQ seems to be eating itself and theres still a propane tank inside it. Before she got to the phone I began making headway and it started to go out.
After it was over half the frame that supports the grill is just gone, a big part of the cast iron lid is gone, my fence will live but on the patio where some of the burning metal landed it burnt into the cement, thats hot as Paris would say.
I don't get it one bit, how could it burn? the temp was sitting at 350 degrees before it decided to self destruct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 08:35 PM

6,527 posts, read 6,435,453 times
I don't know how it happened, but I'm glad you and your wife are okay! Exploding metal is so dangerous - think shrapnel. You guys could have been killed. The grill must have gotten way over 350 degrees for the metal to melt.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:45 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,094,817 times
Glad nothing else caught fire ! And you're ok !

Propane is touchy too, good thing it didn't blow.

My sister's friend put a propane tank in her garage next to the water heater and it blew up and burned part of her house. Unfortunately, insurance didn't cover it, because it was her fault. I guess she didn't realize what could happen.

Scary stuff !!!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I don't know how it happened, but I'm glad you and your wife are okay! Exploding metal is so dangerous - think shrapnel. You guys could have been killed. The grill must have gotten way over 350 degrees for the metal to melt.
Thats what really gets me, the metal was burning, even if the burners were full on it could never get hot enough to do that. there are only a few metals that will burn and the temps would be much higher than propane could deliver.
I weld and use a cutting torch but I've never seen anything like that.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 PM

3,086 posts, read 702,714 times
I have been looking for a web link but can't find one. I seen on the news a month or 2 ago about a recall on grills for what you described! Glad you are all ok.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
I have been looking for a web link but can't find one. I seen on the news a month or 2 ago about a recall on grills for what you described! Glad you are all ok.
i found a recall but it was a differant model and it was for a tube that was left off. I took it to lowes and showed them, they looked shocked and gave my money back without a problem. i saved some of the burnt metal and it looks like aluminum when it burns, i'm wondering if it was coated aluminum that broke down and reacted to the heat, ya never know sense it was made in china.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 702,714 times
I guess as long as you got your money back now but here's a link.

Onward Manufacturing Recalls Gas Grills Due to Fire and Burn Hazard

Char-Broil Recalls Two-Burner Gas Grills Sold Exclusively at Big Lots Stores Due to Fire, Burn Hazard

Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 PM

18,962 posts, read 21,402,682 times
Considering the garbage coming out of China (lead paint on children's' toys, poison in toothpaste or whatever it was in, etc) I wouldn't be surprised to find that the "metal" was made with something included like, say, charcoal! Hell, why not.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Status: "Current ear worm - charming Billy..." (set 13 days ago)

21,798 posts, read 15,900,755 times
My guess is magnesium. Mag beams in cars are a concern to fire fighters. I'm not sure how they get around that one. I just know it was a concern that they'd burn and burn hot in a car fire.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 AM

33,973 posts, read 10,873,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Glad nothing else caught fire ! And you're ok !

Propane is touchy too, good thing it didn't blow.

My sister's friend put a propane tank in her garage next to the water heater and it blew up and burned part of her house. Unfortunately, insurance didn't cover it, because it was her fault. I guess she didn't realize what could happen.

Scary stuff !!!
I bought a charcoal grill; I never could get comfortable with my first propane grill and got rid of it; I felt like I was storing a bomb on my deck not to mention transporting the tank in my car to get it filled. No thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics