U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 AM

4,739 posts, read 5,574,104 times

Advertisements

One story in particular I have never been able to live down and is retold every family get together.

While at a gift shop in Fla with my parents, wife, brothers and sisters I picked up a large sharks jaw and put it over my head and in the process of doing so a tooth stuck in my forehead and blood started spurting out all over, my dad lost it, I tried to hide in the bathroom till I stopped bleeding but it wouldn't, the girl at the counter as I was leaving looked at me like I was a moron and naturally my family was in hysterics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:02 AM

20,518 posts, read 16,839,566 times
Many years ago, one of my boys was around 6 years old. He had a loose tooth, it was ready to come out and give to the tooth fairy (I know what you're thinking already). We walked into a Kmart one morning, and just like any other kid who likes making 'funny' noises, he let out a huge 'burp' as the door opened. I turned to smack him on the mouth for his rudeness (back then you could do that, though it wasnt really hard at all, just enough to let him know it was rude). His tooth fell out. The first thing he blurted out was 'mom, you knocked my tooth out!!'. All eyes turned my direction! Needless to say, we still joke about it today.
Of course these days, if that would have happened, Id be in jail for child abuse!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:04 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,306,828 times
Probably the time, about 10 years ago, my dog (a large mastiff) took me for a ride backwards.
He was playing with another dog, I happen to get in the way, and he literally ran into me. I straddled him backwards and he took me for a ride for about 30 feet, then I fell off. This experience left both of us a bit shaken up and confused. The neighborhood gossip got a lot of mileage out of that one.
Fortunately I now live about 1,700 miles from there.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:13 PM

19,532 posts, read 22,750,292 times
Checking out property in North Carolina.

We were outside Hendersonville and there was a lot on the side of a mountain, above us. I took off up a steep embankment grabbing trees to pull myself up. One tree came out by the roots and I tumbled in a reverse somersault down the embankment. I was okay, but my wife and the Realtor freaked.

After we got back to the hotel I noticed my cell phone was missing we checked everywhere, even called it while the Realtor sat in her vehicle.

The next day she drove us back up the mountain and stopped about where I fell. My wife called my cell and it was about two feet from me.

I still get kidded about it.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM

4,891 posts, read 12,107,337 times
when my dh first came to this country he didnt speak a word of english, but he learned quickly. the only thng that bothered him was the drive thru. he was worried that he would not be understood. we had only known eachother a few months and we were going through a drive thru and i asked him to place the order since he was driving. he didnt want to and i was in some kind of mood and told him he was a pain in the a$$.
to this day--that is 13 yrs later!!! if he is in a bad mood while going through the drive thu, he "reminds" me of how rude i was.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM

43,134 posts, read 20,081,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
when my dh first came to this country he didnt speak a word of english, but he learned quickly. the only thng that bothered him was the drive thru. he was worried that he would not be understood. we had only known eachother a few months and we were going through a drive thru and i asked him to place the order since he was driving. he didnt want to and i was in some kind of mood and told him he was a pain in the a$$.
to this day--that is 13 yrs later!!! if he is in a bad mood while going through the drive thu, he "reminds" me of how rude i was.
Ahh.. Si senior.. or seniorita!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 PM

5,244 posts, read 3,121,724 times
Many years ago my husband and I were moving from one apartment to another. We had woken up at the crack of dawn to load up the truck. At about 7 we were driving to the apt. when I suggested we stop at Grandy's for a breakfast sandwich. We went through the drive-thru and I ordered my breakfast sandwich, the lady asked what would you like on it?" I say, "meat". She asked again, "what kind of meat?", I scream in the speaker "MEAT!"--now a little annoyed...My husband started laughing so hard because he reminded me they had sausage or steak and that is what she was asking. To this day he will still remind me of that at a drive-thru and we crack up!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:05 PM

5,665 posts, read 6,768,214 times
It wasn't something I did. It was something someone did to me actually several people.

I was working as a mechanic. My area of the shop was always a mess. I am a good technician but neatness is not one of my virtues. My boss started calling me Arnold. My name is Stacy (think Green Acres and Arnold Ziffel, the pig). One day a woman came in and asked for Darrell, the mechanic. I was then Darrell/Arnold. When that got to difficult it was shortened to DA. That was 25 years ago. To this day anyone who worked there and some of the regular customers call me DA.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 3,696,483 times
After relocating from Fort Lauderdale to the "Boonies" of Georgia, we joined the local Hunt Club, which our "new" friends belong to.
One sunny afternoon when everyone was busy, Dh and I decide to go exploring and try to find our way around the hunt club. Of course, hunting season was over at this time. My love decided to take a turn down a cut-out in the woods. I stopped him because there was a sign posted that said "Still Hunting". I told him "We could not go in there because they were "still hunting". Of course, he busted out laughing.
When we returned to meet up with our "new" friends, my love just had to tell the story. At this point, I was still strong in my belief. I was quickly corrected and it was explained to me.
Now I know what that "Still Hunting" is a type of hunting but it never dawned on me at that time, nor did I believe my husband who is also from the city.

Still at this day, when ever I am introduced by my friends (many months later) as their new neighbor, I still get the reply "Oh, your still hunting". They even went as far as getting a "Still Hunting" sign and secretly placing it on my 4-wheeler.

I don't think I will ever loose that nick name.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 AM

43,134 posts, read 20,081,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Many years ago, one of my boys was around 6 years old. He had a loose tooth, it was ready to come out and give to the tooth fairy (I know what you're thinking already). We walked into a Kmart one morning, and just like any other kid who likes making 'funny' noises, he let out a huge 'burp' as the door opened. I turned to smack him on the mouth for his rudeness (back then you could do that, though it wasnt really hard at all, just enough to let him know it was rude). His tooth fell out. The first thing he blurted out was 'mom, you knocked my tooth out!!'. All eyes turned my direction! Needless to say, we still joke about it today.
Of course these days, if that would have happened, Id be in jail for child abuse!
If he were my son.. I would have told him: "Good one son! You oughta be a belchin' contest!"

I'm only kidding - There is a big difference between discipline and abuse Livewire, and what you did was appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics