U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,822,349 times

Advertisements

Todays question:

Which movies do you "always" watch when they are on TV ?
The American President
Animal House
The Pelican Brief
Oceans Eleven (the original one from 1960)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 AM

9,654 posts, read 10,828,605 times
Todays question:

There are 2 movies i always watch, the Searchers and The Wizard of Oz

Extra credit if you own the DVD but still watch it each time it comes on TV and deal with the commercials
I have them both and still watch them on TV

Bonus question:Are there any movies that you have seen so many times you can "quote" certain lines?
I can Qoute many of the lines from these movies

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM

42,944 posts, read 19,871,077 times
Quote:
Todays question:

Extra credit if you own the DVD but still watch it each time it comes on TV and deal with the commercials

Bonus question:Are there any movies that you have seen so many times you can "quote" certain lines?
I don't watch movies that are played on TV when I'm at home, but if I were somewhere else and that same movie was being played on TV, I might sit and watch it, but again, I don't watch movies played on TV, mainly because of the commercials, and they're edited a great deal, so that should answer the "Extra Credit" question.

There are a few movies that I've watched so many times, that I can even quote certain lines, most of which are Clint Eastwood movies, and the first Smokey And The Bandit.

I've also watched the first Planet of The Apes (With Charlton Heston as Taylor) 4 or 5 times, I can quote a couple of lines from it.

Also, Clint Eastwood's The Gauntlet, which was made in 1977 in Phoenix and Las Vegas, the movie itself is pretty stupid, I only watch it just to see how downtown Phoenix looked like in 1977. Also in the end of the movie, where the bus turns on a street and it's driven up the steps of "City Hall", that's actually the Symphony Hall, but when the bus turned on that street (Adams) in that final scene, and they showed a gauntlet of police officers on top of buildings shooting at it, I was standing in the distance, under the awning of a building, wearing either my Led Zeppelin or Bad Company T-shirt. That scene was shot on Memorial Day Sunday of 1977, and I remember it took a couple of hours to shoot a scene that's about a minute long.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:43 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,333,412 times
Our favoritest movie of all time is one with Kelsie Grammar called Up Periscope. It is hysterical. Oh, yeh, we can quote lines all over the place. We did own the VHS version. We also like the Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men, also. We have those on DVD. Great losses when those two actors passed. They were wonderful. I don't think there's any movie I insist on watching when it's on tv. Like an earlier poster mentioned, too many edits and if I may add, too many commercials. I know, they have to pay the bills.

Fudge Day. I better call mom and have her make me some. She makes the bestest. WIth walnuts, please.

Veggie Day. GOod thing we grilled some last night with our steak. Yum. Get over it, Karla. They're good!

No thanks, I'd rather not holler today.

ENjoy, everyboyd

Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,333,412 times
Wow, MIke...that's really cool! I was in DC when Goldie Hawn was filming a movie and we had to drive around the "set". It was interesting to see everything going on.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 AM

17,827 posts, read 21,481,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
. . . you watched Captain Jack Sparrow for the one-millionth time! Savvy?

Several years back, when the first of The Pirates of the Caribbean movies was released, I had already seen it perhaps a dozen times in the theater -- I was still working, had the money to fritter-away, the time -- so it only made sense when I was on leave-of-absence, and stuck on the couch at home, that my dear, sweet husband (who spoils me incredibly) would treat me to the DVD. ON the very day it is released. I probably watched it a half dozen times that day, and at least once, twice, maybe three times a day thereafter.

It got to be something that 'entertained' him -- 'baffled' might be a better word -- and amazed friends who would drop by the house, or call, to visit over the next few weeks. My next-door neighbor asked, in all innocence, one day, how many times I had watched it, and out of curiosity, at that point, I started counting, and was well up there -- 300 at last count.

The things we do when we're in love.

And now to rack-up the bonus points: I can't seem to NOT watch it when it is on TV, commercials and all. Thank heavens, I was not mesmerized by its two sequels, although when one of the channels ran the three films, back-to-back, not too long ago, there I was. . . asking "but, why's the rum gone?"

Oh, and I want major, major bonus points: it is such a joke with my family and friends, until, to this very day, I get Captain Jack Sparrow 'everything' for holiday gifts or birthday presents. To count, I can sleep with the good cap'n on my Captain Jack Sparrow pillowcase, awaken to put together a puzzle of his beautiful face, plant kisses on posters of the pirate, and even play with my 18" Captain Jack Sparrow doll -- who talks, no less, and comes with accessories, including his own bottle of rum. My husband and I almost got divorced over that -- he thought I had to be kidding when I asked Santa for the doll two Christmases ago. He sits on the bookcase where I can wink at him, complete with a treasure chest a friend sent for my birthday.

Can I quote lines? I think I have the screenplay down pat. (Can you say "o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d"?) When my college-aged daughter told me, not-ever-so-gently, that this had to stop, I told her to 'stand down,' as I had suffered through The Little Mermaid with her at three, four, and five, and I wasn't making her sing-along to a cassette tape of the songs on a 12-hour and 25 minute, 734 mile drive to Massachusetts. Suffer, Baby.
rofl rdslots
300 at last count
I think this is going to be a tough one to beat
Maybe I am going to have to watch these movies to see why your in your own words "o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d"

Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 AM

797 posts, read 2,110,093 times
Before I reveal the one MUST WATCH made for tv movie for me, I have to tell you that it is no secret with my family that I watch movies over and over again almost as a hobby. We have a relatively "small" dvd collection (around 100,) which includes all the kids movies as well. I specifically buy DVD's to watch them over and over. The collection only expands when we see a rental that I must own to watch again and again. I don't watch much tv in general, mostly I stick to decorating, gardening and cooking programs although when I happen to catch one of my favorites playing on tv I do stop to watch it with commercials usually unless I missed too much of the beginning then I search out the DVD and pop it in. Now there is one movie we do not own on DVD that plays religiously a minimum of 2-4 times a month that I have to stop and watch....

Overboard, with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russel

It is crazy how this movie continues to get played and how poorly it did when it first released. I don't even think it does well as a rental, (even though I have rented it from time to time.) There is no question I have the lines memorized to this movie and just about every other movie I own. In case your wondering my most watched DVD probably is a tie between Sweet Home Alabama and A Knights Tale.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 5,526,300 times
Tombstone....Doc Holiday kills me

Jason And The Argonauts...the old black and white one

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM

1,641 posts, read 3,423,310 times
Oh, yes, there are some movies we've seen dozens of times: Silence of the Lambs, The Cutting Edge, Auntie Mame, Home Alone I & 2, Dolores Claiborne, Fried Green Tomatoes, GI Jane. And yup, we own 'em all, and we also watch them whenever they are on TV, and we know at least half the dialogue in each one!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 AM

5,646 posts, read 6,691,148 times
I love old B horror movies. I never miss Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Them ("Make me a sargent in charge of the booze") this one I can quote lines from, Dracula, Frankenstein almost anything that scared me to death when I was 10. I won't buy a DVD so I watch then when on TV.

Make my fudge Maple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics