Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:35 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times

Advertisements

If I were to come to your town or city for just a day, what would be the one "must see" (besides you ) you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,570 times
We have Silver lake, a small lake in our town and then we have Letchworth State Park, a beautiful State Park..google it 'Letchworth State Park". 3 waterfalls, train tracks over the falls, stone walls and bridges built in the depression days by poorly paid workers. My father and Uncle were born in what is now called Smokey Hollow...they use to climb the gorges before the State bought the land. Mt. Morris Dam ("Best town by a Dam site"). We are rural and depressed upstate New Yorkers but we do have some beautiful scenery.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
The Alamo!!!

(I live in San Antonio now)

Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
My town is too small, LOL with not much to do other than shop at local chain stores.

The ONE must see in Chicago? Thats impossible. Heres a list of options.

**cracks knuckles, inhales sharply**

BEAR WITH ME HERE! LOL I cant just name ONE!

Sears Tower: Standing 1,353ft above the street and being able to see MI, IN, IL and WI. Too cool.

John Hancock: Great observatory deck, 3rd tallest building in the USA, best views of downtown. Outdoor observatory HAS to be experienced, particularly at night.

Michigan Avenue: One of the best shopping streets in the world, hands down. So much to do and see (Oak St. offers the super high-end shops)!

The Lakefront: Take a boat skyline tour on one of the many charter boats, the speedboats are particularly cool.

Adler Planetarium: Great place to take the kids, lots of neat interactions and hands-on activities.

Navy Pier: Super cool place to shop or hang out. A huge ferris wheel, some other rides, indoor dining, games, boat rides, you name it. Super cool place!

Museum of Science and Industry: Another great family place. Tour a coal mine, walk on the U-505 (captured German U-boat), walk inside a human body, mess around with electricity, etc... WAY COOL.

Theatres/opera: Catch the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, a popular play, Blue Man Group, etc... here in Chicago as well. If that stuff bores you, there is always Oprah and Jerry Springer! LOL

Field Museum of Natural History: See the man-eating lions of Africa (the movie Ghost and the Darkness is based on these lions), see Titanic artifacts, tour an ancient Egyptian tomb. Another super cool place to take the kids.

Chicago Art Institute: Besides the Louvre, probably the best art museum in the world. Priceless works of art all encased in a gorgeous building.

Water Tower Place: A huge vertical indoor mall, chock full of shops and eateries.

Water Tower: One of the few buildings that survived the Great Chicago Fire, stands at the far north end of Michigan Avenue.

Oak St. Beach: in the summer its a great place to relax and hang out. Gets crowded too fast, so get there early and set up shop. Swim, rollerblade, beach volleyball, etc.

Millenium Park: rather new, but cool to see regardless. Neat sculptures (Cloud Gate is really cool), water fountains, music venue, historic Roman columns, neatly sculpted landscape, ice skating rink in winter, restaurant.

Buckingham Fountain: arguably the USA's prettiest fountain. Its HUGE and needs to be seen in person to appreciate its size. Looks gorgeous at night. Shes a lady in a black dress and pearls, no doubt.

Shedd Aquarium: right on Lake Michigan, its a huge aquarium with TONS of super exotic fish, and a brand new addition for whales and sharks. Great place for families and the like.

Sports: catch a Sox game at U.S. Cellular Field on the south side, a Cubs game at Wrigley Field on the North Side, a Bulls or Blackhawks game at United Center on the near west side, a Bears game at Soldier Field along the lakefront. Then there is the Chicago Wolves at All-State Arena, or the Kane County Cougars at Elfstrom Stadium, and the Schaumburg Flyers in Schaumburg, the last 3 mentioned teams are in the 'burbs though.

Dining: not much to say. You all know how good the food is here, and there is 10K restaurants in teh downtown area alone (from what I understand), so the options are endless. You want good food, come to Chicago.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on... but my brain is fried. If I think of anything else later, Ill add to this list. Sorry so long!

**ADDED**

Lincoln Park Zoo: Hang out in the park, see the great zoo, take a paddleboat out on the lake they have. Another nice place for the kids to hang out at.

Wendella Boat Tours: take a architectural tour of the city right from the Chicago River. Not expensive and a really tireless way to view Chicago's world renowned architecture.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:25 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
Right where I live, I could take you out in the lake to fish for some good sized largemouth bass or we could just walk around the lake and watch the gators and turtles and birds. If you weren't into fishing, we could drive up the road, see all the orange groves, smell the oranges cooking (I love that smell) and even tour the Florida Natural plant. I'm not too far from Cypress Gardens--world famous water skiers, beautiful gardens, Southern Belles or a weekend concert. Of course, that's just around my immediate area. There's so much more to do in the rest of my state.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
The first thing that comes to mind is the Johnson Space Center

Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,128 times
I am not sure what input I have to this topic, I'm from NJ!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Smile Scranton

Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour
Everhart Museum
Nay Aug Park and The Gorge
Steamtown National Historic Site
Historic Iron Furnaces
Lackawanna County Stadium (NY Yankees)
Hill Section and Green Ridge Historic Homes
Scranton Cultural Center (Philharmonic)
Downtown

Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 AM

355 posts, read 842,534 times
Huntington Beach, CA

The eight miles of sandy beaches, perfect waves, and 70 degree weather is not merely a 'must see', its 'the see'.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:59 AM

30,352 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Oh, there's soooo much to see in the Bay Area!! I'll list my personal favorites, all the way from San Francisco to the south Bay (since I've lived in many towns around here)...

San Francisco itself: Ocean Beach, Fort Funston, Cliff House (where you can watch California sea lions & play at the penny arcade), Chinatown, Union Square, Haight Street, Metroen Center (IMAX theatre, electronic stores & food), Pier 39, SF Zoo, Golden Gate bridge "viewpoints"... then you can drive across the bridge to Marin Headlands for hiking, and Sausalito for some great shopping.

Peninsula & South Bay: Coyote Point recreation area, Colma (if you're into cemeteries), Burlingame Avenue, Carolan Mansion in Hillsborough (creepy place where 2 girls from my high school were murdered), Half Moon Bay - especially in October, when it becomes Pumpkin town!, Great America Amusement Park, Stanford University & Shopping mall, San Jose's Tech museum, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Winchester Mystery House (San Jose), Carmel/Monterey, and Gilroy if you're here during the garlic festival.

I know that's a lot, but there's a reason this area is so desireable & expensive. I hope everyone gets a chance to visit once in their life, because there really is a ton of great stuff to see and do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics