U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,394,785 times
Default Hats! Hats! and more hats!

Absolutely love 'em, and have worn them since I was in JR HS, and dared to 'break bad' wearing one. It was one of those floppy, hippie-style hats, with a big brim that hung down in your eyes, but it wasn't leather like the others usually were. It was orange, and matched a one-piece 'stylin' jumpsuit I had.

Then, it was stylish, large-brimmed straw hats that I usually wore in the Summer, and got quite a few compliments on, most people saying things like "I wish I could wear hats." Never understood that. You just need to try a variety on, assess what style suits you. Mine have brims on them, a minimum of at least 4-6".

I have hats in almost every color, and wear them year round. It is important that I keep the sun off my face, too, now that I am older (I suffer with rosacea, and sunshine aggravates it). I have very wide-brimmed straw hats for working in the yard, and for wearing at the beach, some very nice hats for wearing to church or out to lunch or dinner.

I was married in a beautiful hat that complemented my tea-length chiffon dress.

In the winter, I have several wool felt hats. My favorite is a fedora by some Australian designer I had never heard of, but saw the hat in a TJ Maxx, and loved it, and just watched it get marked down to a price I was willing to pay. Who the heck pays $300 for a hat? I guess plenty might, but I can't afford that, even if it is a 'designer' and made of rabbit felt.

I only wear baseball caps for sporting events -- the HS cap for ballgames where I taught, or the Orioles cap I'll don when I get to see the Baltimore Orioles play. Somewhere, I have a Harry Potter cap, and one from my college alma mater.

I even like my sweet husband in hats -- he cuts a sharp image in a man's fedora. So handsome in his trench coat and hat.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:41 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,073,362 times
Yes I wear caps, if I'll be in the sun for a long while only, favorite one is my bright yellow tweety bird one. Ponytail hangin out the back. My deceased FIL collected caps, I've yet to go through them, guesstamate 20 to 30 of them in a plastic tote. Who knows maybe I'll find a new fave.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:44 AM

Oops! Forgot about a few other hats --

A huge straw sombrero for Cinqo de Mayo, and a great witch's hat for October 31st (the dogs hate that one, it seems -- do they know it's a witch's hat?). I even have a bonnet somewhere around here, the kind that frames the face, and ties under the chin, a la Little House on the Prairie style. I think it went to a Little Bo-Peep costume years ago. And tucked away in a drawer is my Christening cap.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 AM

There was a special on TV not too long ago about men's hats, and how a man was NOT dressed until he donned his hat, which went out of fashion with John F. Kennedy, who was told he needed to wear one to his inauguration. Funny how he wouldn't wear one, and his wife loved them.

Men's hats have come back into fashion -- I think of Johnny Depp in his fedora, and Brad Pitt, among others. It was an interesting show, discussing men's hats, styles, and featured a beautiful shop in NYC devoted just to men's hats. I recognized several, including one my FIL searched for, to be in keeping with his Model T when he goes to car shows.

I can't help but think how beautiful those hats were in the film starring Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle -- My Fair Lady, or the hats the movie stars wore years ago -- Joan Crawford, Caroline of Monaco. . . my Mother had them, and wore them, being a fashionable young woman of the 50s. I remember getting into her hat boxes and playing in them. And getting into trouble for it -- that, and her pretty heels (which surprises me even today as she had polio, and I know she couldn't walk in them).

Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,027,706 times
No ball caps for this Southern lady. I like the huge afternoon steeplechase variety. Right now my favorite is riding in the back of our car. My dh's NASCAR Lowe's hat is on one side and my wide-brimmed hat with a rose is on the other. We have them there just to let anyone behind us know who they are riding behind. They demand instant respect. LOL

Old 06-23-2008, 08:08 AM

19,061 posts, read 21,775,300 times
No, and if you are over 16 and wear a baseball cap with the bill facing any direction but forward you look like an idiot.

If I were to start it would probably be a fedora.

Fedora Hats

Old 06-23-2008, 08:29 AM

19,922 posts, read 7,243,726 times
I forgot a few other unique ones. I have all the ball caps that my son got for me while serving in the Navy. I have one from boot camp, one from Nuclear Power Training school and one from the USS Enterprise.

Charley

Old 06-23-2008, 08:31 AM

2,072 posts, read 8,201,628 times
Never wear hats, but I think they are classy.

Pink .......... I once worked with a co-worker and everyday she wore something pink. I never was a favorite of pink, but everything my son's GF gives me is pink, so, I'm beginning to like it.

Happy Monday all

Old 06-23-2008, 08:40 AM

280 posts, read 802,840 times
I sometimes wear hats, and they would be ball caps that say NY Yankees on them and yes they would be my favorite hats to wear, I have a couple of them

Old 06-23-2008, 08:48 AM

9,643 posts, read 10,634,556 times
Lets talk "hats" in

Todays question:

Do you ever wear them ? Yes I do

if so

Do you have a favorite ? Yes, I have a camo hat from Black Bear dinner

Probably the most popular type would be "ball caps" so tell us

How many "ball caps" do you have ? I have 4 of then that I wear, At one time I had 20 or so but I cleaned house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics