Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2007, 06:07 AM

12 posts, read 52,871 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, there's been a little chat about round homes in the Maine and North Carolina sections, but since they can be in many places, I thought I'd start a thread on them.

Who has, who has seen, Who wants? Do you like/love/hate?

My husband and I are considering one, and we know of Deltec and Topsider as two companies that make them.

Any info and thoughts from you are appreciated.

Gerry

Last edited by Chench53; 01-13-2007 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: fix links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,505,086 times
depends on your preference I guess- A brand new one can be nice-but we looked at one on stilts with mtn views-but they had a sauna in the basement- it also smelled of mold and for some reason was very dark- despite large windows. Did not seem like a good reasale value.

sunny.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:34 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,779,711 times
My wife and I lived in a "round" home for sixteen years. It was a fifteen sided model built by a company called Rondesiks (sp?), which, I'm sure, is long gone. We had the home on a ten acre piece of property in Orange County NY. It was a great two bedroom house for my wife and I. For a family, you'd either have need a second floor or another unit connected to the first.

Because my wife is an architectural engineer by profession she chose the site for the home carefully and we had sun from the moment it came up to the instant it went down over a mountain.

Just design your inside carefully and you'll have a lovely home.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,872,746 times
I lived in NC for 18 years , and in the Western Blue Ridge mts. There were a lot of round houses built years ago, on one center pier, or tower, due to hillside footprint restrictions. most of these were only week-end getaways, and not good for winter living. They did have the best views however, and still do, with a lot of upgrades now , as many had rot problems, still worth the price if you can find one in good cond........The Deltec home , is a whole nother animal. I am looking at building a 2500 sq ft, one level,year round retirement home in the wilds of northern Michigan on a mt. top

Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 AM

68,271 posts, read 53,985,563 times
Saw an article somwhere about a company in Montana (Billings?) converting round grain storage buildings into housing units, looked pretty interesting and were reasonable $$. I'd be interested in more info if anyone has a website or?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House