Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
From NYC and been in the Philly burbs for 7 years. The Philly accent, as well as the Philly bumpkin accent are both like nails on a blackboard to me. As soon as I hear it, lol, I can't speak to the person for much longer. Drives me crazy.

-TT
OMG. Please explain more!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 04:25 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
mrshvo
I finally remembered
it is the Tiffany diner
Oh-that's why I didn't think of it. The Tiffany diner isn't across from the Roosevelt Mall. The Roosevelt mall is at Cottman and the Blvd. The Tiffany diner is at Welsh and the Blvd. It IS across from a mall-a small strip mall, I don't know the name...but it's not the Roosevelt Mall. There's actually 2 strip malls at Welsh and the Blvd, and a little down the street, on the same side as Tiffany's, is an Olive Garden (worked at for 10 years) and an Apple Bee's, and a Red Lobster.
Yes, I ate at Tiffanys many a time, especially early in the morning like 2AM!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I took that accent quiz too, and it says I'm from Philly?! I'm not of course, I’ve only been there once, I grew up in Chicago (but my extended family is all from the east-coast (Boston area mainly, and my grandfather was from nyc) and you could tell the moment they open their mouths so perhaps Chicagospeak melded with the northeast coast produces something odd. Personally, I don't quite get why it thinks I'm from Philly (I've taken the darn thing more than once), but I do know that as someone who grew up around people with stronger accents (I grew up in the south burbs around loads of working class southsiders) that even when well educated (I've completed my master's degree, work in a professional position that occasionally involves public speaking, and so does a coworker of mine from a rougher part of Chicago who also has a strong accent that comes out often) I can relate to gizmo980’s mother. It just sort of comes out on occasion (after a couple of drinks once on the west coast, I let a ‘yous’ slip out, much to the amusement of everyone who was with me at the bar). I feel like there should be some sort of support group for ‘dose of us’ who sometimes slip up and let our 'less than accentless' background show

Oh, and who doesn’t pronounce it ‘dawg’, that is why places with names like ‘superdawg’ exist.

Last edited by j33; 01-18-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-20-2008, 02:53 PM

983 posts, read 3,597,568 times
Lightbulb I says

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oy, my mother sometimes says "yous" out of habit... and she'll also say "I says blah blah", instead of "I said blah blah". She's a well-educated librarian/professor, so it's not like she doesn't know the proper grammar - it's just the Philly girl in her.
Hey, that's quite common in Northern England: To say I says instead of I said.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
You may have a Philly accent if you say:
"Wooder" instead of "Water"
"Dawg" instead of "Dog"

I'm from the Pocono's, close to Philly and have a lot of family there. We always teased each other about the way we spoke! They thought I had an accent!

Didja ever notice that in areas of high accents, such as New York, Philly ect. - The tv stations don't hire anyone with an accent to give the news!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
What kind of accent do people from Philly have?

An annoying one!

What bugs me is hearing the "ed" suffix pronouced as "it": "connectit" instead of "connected", "designatit" instead of "designated," etc. Argh.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
I took the test and it said I had a southern accent. And I was born and raised in Philly!
I retook this quiz; now it says I'm from Philly. Go figure. Ohiogirl81, I always used "ed" at the end of words. The only exception would be the word "asked" - my pronunciation is "axe't". I don't know where I picked this up. I don't recall anyone else pronouncing the word like that. But I do have the bad habit of dropping the "g" from the end of "ing".

Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
I retook this quiz; now it says I'm from Philly. Go figure. Ohiogirl81, I always used "ed" at the end of words. The only exception would be the word "asked" - my pronunciation is "axe't". I don't know where I picked this up. I don't recall anyone else pronouncing the word like that. But I do have the bad habit of dropping the "g" from the end of "ing".

and do you say wooder instead of water?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,557 times
As my upstate cousins used to tease me - "wood, wooder (water), woodest".

Old 02-03-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Bewitched View Post
I am trying to remember a diner there. I am pretending I am standing at the corner of Cottman and the BLVD, facing the direction as if I would be going straight down to I-95. There is a McDonalds on the left, and over on the right, MANY MANY years ago, and I am talking close to 20, there was a Seafood Shanty, facing the BLVD. I can't remember a diner. Was it on the BLVD, or Cottman?
it was called in think grinners diner? it was right next to Tom McAn shoe store now a dollar store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics