Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,494,583 times

Advertisements

G'morning, All! The first camera I owned was one of those 110 pocket cameras. I did pretty well with it. I graduated to what ended up as a bag full of Canon SLRs I dragged around the world when I was in the USAF. I took LOTS of pictures. And, yes,, I'm ashamed i've never done much with them other than make a few reprints over the years. (Retirement project: sort/ upload photos!) Most unusual camera? My grandmother gave me a Brownie "Hawkeye" camera, which 've never actually used. But I have had it on display in our den and I've occasionally pretended to take photos of friends and ejecting the flash bulb onto the carpet. Makes for a rather stupid gag...

I've probably taken the most photos of:

My wife
Our vacation spots
Trucks and fire apparatus
airplanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 AM

24,349 posts, read 25,862,130 times
Do you remember when you got your first camera ?
First camera was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye for Christmas in the mis 50's.
Now I have 3 Minolta 35MM's with various lense's and 2 digitals, small Nikon point and shoot and a Canon Rebel with a couple of lense's

What was the most unusual camera you ever owned ?
One of thos Kodak instant print ones that Polarid sued Kodak over.

Is there one "subject" you photograph the most?
Scenery, group events.

Do you find yourself more often the "picture taker" or the "picture subject" ?
Taker.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:02 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,406,176 times
Todays Questions:

When I was 8.

I'm not sure.

I like to hike up to the top of a mountain or hill and take pictures of the city below.

It varies.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:12 PM

650 posts, read 1,205,259 times
I remember my first camera well, because I bought it in my 20's....won't tell you what decade that was!

The most unusual one I ever had was a paper one made from a library kid's craft book instructions: it was essentially a paper box with a pinhole that you put film behind. Very primitive and very 'manual', but a good kid's lesson on how a camera worked.

I've got kids; they are of course my favourite subject! But I live in Ireland, so moody landscapes and ancient stones/ruins are a close second.

I'm ALWAYS the picture taker. After I die, my kids won't know what I look like, except for my 'official' headshot and occasional (bad) newspaper photos. I handed my husband a camera once and asked for him to take my picture with the kids, and he broke it!!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,273,146 times
We had one of the first digital cameras called a Jam Cam. It had no resolution, digital display and no flash! We used it when my first child was born so we could email the pictures. The pic look like they are from the 70's.

My first camera was a polaroid back in the 80's. I guess I have always had a problem with film... my parents have a bag full of film that has gone undeveloped over the last 30 years. One of these days they need to make it easier to develop those things. Anyone have any ideas? I would love to see what was one some of that stuff.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,530,879 times
My first camera was a Starflash Brownie. I was 12 years old when I bought it, in 1945. I still have it and it is in the original box. Only part of the box's lid is missing. The film is no longer available ( unless it would be specialty shops ?). It take 127 film.

I have never had an unusual camera.

I now have a Cannon Powershot A540 and a Canon Sureshot 80u. I hardly ever use the Sureshot. I much prefer the digital Powershot.
I mostly take pics of my yard and flowers. But I also take all sorts of natural scenes; animals, insects, mushrooms, clouds, sunsets and sunrises, rainbows,etc.

I am the picture taker, and seldom the subject.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:18 PM

23,001 posts, read 34,309,668 times
My first camera was a Kodak point and shoot. Now I am a professional photographer and I have a Canon 10D, husband as the 5D. I am always the picture taker when our family get together, everyone knows they better look good because I'm taking the pictures, like it or not
I also love to photograph birds and landscapes in North Carolina

Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,648,115 times
Got my first camera when I was in 4th or 5th grade. It was a Kodak Brownie. I mostly tried to take pictures of Jeannie. She mostly ran away. I now get to take the pictures. My wife is digitally disadvantaged and cannot operate our current digital camera.

I don't take all the pictures she wants. They all look the same. Family eating dinner at Bruce's birthday. Family eating dinner at Randy's birthday. Family eating dinner at Mother's day Family eating dinner at Father's day. Family eating dinner at Jefferson Davis day. Why bother.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,382,726 times

My aunt and uncle gave me my first camera (the 110 predecessor) the Christmas I was 10. My mother was really upset with them because she knew I'd been drooling over cameras all year and she had planned to give me one. Instead, my dear mother gave me a Mrs. Beasley doll that I absolutely detested!

Although it wasn't unusual, the one I'll always remember was the Pentax SLR that I only had for a little over a week before it was stolen when my home was burglarized. It still had it's first roll of film inside! Actually, the thief did me a favor because I upgraded that camera to a Nikon F2 which was compatible with my future dh's camera and lenses.

Since having a child, I've leaned toward photographing people. DH and I both used to do lots of nature photography, but I've sadly not been motivated in that direction for a long while. Rance's and Karla's photos of Alaska have put me to shame, and I'd like to renew my passion for outdoors photography.

Definitely the picture taker. Since my loved ones are abysmally deficient in making me look even halfway decent, I usually avoid being in photos unless we're at a professional studio.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,676,975 times

It was a birthday gift sometime in grade school. I was so excited!

Nothing unusual.

My kids.

Always the picture taker. I'm not very photogenic, so pictures of me are few and far between.

Lucy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics