Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 07:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Well, here we are in mid-January, and Scranton has yet to see its first inch of snow! Temperatures this week are expected to cool significantly with dry conditions, but then many long-range models show them trending upward next week! At this rate, we may be going into February without any snow! Can anyone remember the last time Scranton, or at least much of the Northeast, went without any snow for an entire winter? As for me, I was hoping to learn to cross-country ski this winter, so I'm a little depressed! Denver, share the wealth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 08:26 PM

331 posts, read 2,108,765 times
we are getting your snow up here in WA state!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 PM

215 posts, read 312,069 times
When we get snow up here (Maine),we'll shake ourselves off and you should get some... Otherwise, you might have to settle for those long "skis on wheels" and pretend along the pavement with your poles..lol..it might get to that.. Let's hope not!!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:18 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I remember maybe two or three winters in the DC area growing up where we got negligible snowfall. Maybe a dusting or two and that was it. Granted, we're not technically the Northeast but our snowfall isn't far less than Philadelphia or New York. There was a winter when I was living in New Jersey a few years ago where there was no snow either. It's not that common but it happens. We're still not THAT far into winter, so we'll see what happens.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Here at the Vermont / Quebec border there has been very little of the white stuff thus far. Tonight's forecast calls for a foot tomorrow. No freezing rain or sleet. Just a lot of pure, unadulterated snow. Rejoice!!!!!!!!!!!! LaLaLaLa!!!!! Oh wait! We both gotta drive to work and, presumably, back home. Shouldn't be a big deal, though. Every other person around here owns a plow and besides, we drive in these conditions quite a bit.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
None here in Jersey either (except the 3 minutes of blasting flurries we got the other day). I happened to look out the window and there was a blizzard, by the time I walked from the bedroom to my living room window, it had stopped, the sun was out and there was no evidence left on the ground. I went without a jacket the past two days (of course now I'll get sick) but that's how "warm" it's been. Scary.

Abiesmom - You live in Maine?!?!?!?! Where? You have no idea how desperately I've been wanting to move to Maine for the past two years. I plan on getting there one day....tell me whatever you can about it and where the good spots are to move....how's the job market (is court reporting good up there) and what about school systems!!!!!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM

215 posts, read 312,069 times
Pixie..We've lived in Maine almost twenty years now, a really long time given my background of moving from place to place, not forming any attachments or seeing people grow up due to the military. It's funny how someone like yourself wants to move here and we want to leave and go to NC!

I think you would like it here. I don't know what the opportunities are for your line of work since I'm in education and live in the lower part of the state near the NH border. I think the "Maine" section of this forum would be a great help to you with regard to what you want to do..court reporting..it's interesting that you would lean toward that since your father was a detective and the law seems to be in your genes

Schools here have certainly lived up to their reputation as excellent, so no worries there..Good luck!! As with anyplace you want to live in, visiting is so important. We are in a rural area with its real estate appreciating considerably over the time we've been here..however, there are still "pockets" of reasonable home prices here and there.

For those coming in from out of state, unless you have been recruited to work here, it's difficult to find a well-paying job, I found. I guess as in anywhere, first preference is given to Maine college grads to encourage them to remain here since so many leave. I've seen first-hand (in a job prior to the one I have now where I was on a hiring committee) an applicant dismissed solely on her out of town resume and how that was perceived as "transient" or some such thing and we hired someone who graduated from UMaine.

Your situation which you described in previous posts is a tough one, but it sounds like you've made a good decision to go into the judicial system as a court reporter. I've often wondered if people who do that ever get distracted by what they're hearing!!

Pixie..I wish you the best..maybe all of us who love NC will eventually wind up down there together. I know it won't be long for us........

By the way, we got our snow!!!!!! Just two inches, but we'll take it. It's so pretty..

Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absiesmom View Post
Pixie..We've lived in Maine almost twenty years now, a really long time given my background of moving from place to place, not forming any attachments or seeing people grow up due to the military. It's funny how someone like yourself wants to move here and we want to leave and go to NC!

I think you would like it here. I don't know what the opportunities are for your line of work since I'm in education and live in the lower part of the state near the NH border. I think the "Maine" section of this forum would be a great help to you with regard to what you want to do..court reporting..it's interesting that you would lean toward that since your father was a detective and the law seems to be in your genes

Schools here have certainly lived up to their reputation as excellent, so no worries there..Good luck!! As with anyplace you want to live in, visiting is so important. We are in a rural area with its real estate appreciating considerably over the time we've been here..however, there are still "pockets" of reasonable home prices here and there.

For those coming in from out of state, unless you have been recruited to work here, it's difficult to find a well-paying job, I found. I guess as in anywhere, first preference is given to Maine college grads to encourage them to remain here since so many leave. I've seen first-hand (in a job prior to the one I have now where I was on a hiring committee) an applicant dismissed solely on her out of town resume and how that was perceived as "transient" or some such thing and we hired someone who graduated from UMaine.

Your situation which you described in previous posts is a tough one, but it sounds like you've made a good decision to go into the judicial system as a court reporter. I've often wondered if people who do that ever get distracted by what they're hearing!!

Pixie..I wish you the best..maybe all of us who love NC will eventually wind up down there together. I know it won't be long for us........

By the way, we got our snow!!!!!! Just two inches, but we'll take it. It's so pretty..

Thanks for the input. I've been part of the Maine forum for a long time now (actually, that's the reason I started coming in this forum in the first place, my research on living in Maine). I've had so many responses in there that one starts to become confused (too many cooks spoil the soup). I have a friend up in Maine (South Portland) and should I move it would most likely be in or around the greater Portland area. Bangor was a consideration, but maybe for retirement....too far up.

The good thing about my career is that I can pretty much work anywhere in the country once I'm nationally certified, however, the amount of that type of work in Maine must pale in comparison to the amount of legal issues we have here in Jersey (so I may not be as financially well off up in ME). Funny, you should ask such a question. The answer is yes, in the beginning it is hard to separate your job typing from what you're hearing (I remember one time in school, we were having a Q & A read to us...which is basically an attorney and witness testimony....it was a statutory rape/murder case and the whole class just stopped typing and stared at our instructor with our mouths hanging open as she read it. However, you do become immune to what you are hearing, it's like typing on a computer or listening to a dictaphone (only harder)...your fingers just fly along as if they had their own ears or sensors...that's the only way to describe it.

Thanks for your well wishes, I'll keep doing my research (until I get bored or actually move there )

Old 01-15-2007, 12:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
Here in Minnesota we finally got some snow yesterday, it should be heading your way, I should have kept my mouth shut, because I was just saying that we have never went into January with no snow in Minnesota, and now look what happend, we got SNOW!!!!!
I wish I was one of those women who had never started showing any man that I could shovel snow, now I hate it, and my body can't seem to put up with all the shoveling. Where is there a man when you need one??????

Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
SWB - on the news earlier this month, the weatherman said this was the first December New Jersey has had since the late 1800s, where there was no snow!

I personally am loving it. I hate the cold, I hate snow and ice. But don't fret too much yet - it's snowed as late as mid-April in past years so we are not in the clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics