Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times

Advertisements

I could write a book on why I shouldn't be here anymore and some of those that were around me. I pretty much did what ever I wanted as far back as I can remember.

I learned that mixing pool acid and aluminum together in a bottle made some kind of explosive gas thats volume expanded enough to fill a balloon when placed over the neck. We took it out to a vacant lot where my brother bent over it and lit it with a match. The blast removed all his facial hair and he couldn't make expressions for a while.

Thank God my kids are normal!

I'll add more, don't want to make this too long to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM

I wanted to pull in more stations on my stereo so I decided if I put an antenna in the large pine tree beside our house I could get stations from around the world. I got a roll of bare copper wire, tied one end to a coat hanger and tried unsuccessfully to hold one end in my left hand and throw it high enough with my right to catch a branch. I tied one end to the inground copper pipe sprinkler system and then had both arms to launch the antenna into the air, it went way up but missed the branch and went over the power lines instead. In a split second it grounded out and the canister on the power pole exploded into a shower of sparks and a bang that no fireworks could duplicate. My father came running out and asked what happened, thinking I was caught I quickly looked around and noticed that all evidence had vaporised and before I could lie he said OMG the canister is gone and went running back inside....power was out for awhile.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I wanted to pull in more stations on my stereo so I decided if I put an antenna in the large pine tree beside our house I could get stations from around the world. I got a roll of bare copper wire, tied one end to a coat hanger and tried unsuccessfully to hold one end in my left hand and throw it high enough with my right to catch a branch. I tied one end to the inground copper pipe sprinkler system and then had both arms to launch the antenna into the air, it went way up but missed the branch and went over the power lines instead. In a split second it grounded out and the canister on the power pole exploded into a shower of sparks and a bang that no fireworks could duplicate. My father came running out and asked what happened, thinking I was caught I quickly looked around and noticed that all evidence had vaporised and before I could lie he said OMG the canister is gone and went running back inside....power was out for awhile.
LOL !! I read this to my DH, and laughed so hard the tears ran from my eyes!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:23 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
oops rcm58

"Stupid things you lived through growing up"
when I was o maybe 10 or 11 we were living at my grandfathers in upstate PA he had all these wonderful woods around the house. One winter my older brother and the rest of us decided we would take some of the pine trees that had fallen and build a Tee Pee safe enough
then my older brother decided it would be an even better idea if the Tee Pee had a fireplace to help keep us warm
so he found a piece of metal to use as a "fire screen" and proceeded to light the fire
the only problem was he put the sheet of metal in front of the fire instead of behind to keep it from the "walls" we got ourselves out of the Tee Pee pretty fast
needless to say it is a miracle we didn't burn ourselves up or set the whole forest on fire

there was the late "70's"
then
the "80's" and I will plead the 5th on those years

Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 AM

Karla that sounds like an episode of Survivor Man...lol

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
lol rcm my brother got us into some pretty "interesting" situations

he decided one year that if we piled up all of the sheets on laundry day we could hold a pillow case over our heads and jump from the top bunk and the pillow case would act as a parachute

"Don't try this at home kids"

Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM

I used to ride a Honda XR75 on school grounds on the weekends, and had a blast slalom riding between the trees while keeping the speed and shooting a roaster tail of sand in the air as I was powering out of the turn. One day as I was getting better at it I got the bike way low to the ground and a tree root grabbed the rear brake pedal. The bike came to a complete stop at about 30mph pile driving me through the handlebars and cartwheeled into a heap several feet away.

Karla the older kid across the street told my brother the hair on his arms was actually feathers and that he could fly so he jumped off everything till it hurt...lol

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I used to ride a Honda XR75 on school grounds on the weekends, and had a blast slalom riding between the trees while keeping the speed and shooting a roaster tail of sand in the air as I was powering out of the turn. One day as I was getting better at it I got the bike way low to the ground and a tree root grabbed the rear brake pedal. The bike came to a complete stop at about 30mph pile driving me through the handlebars and cartwheeled into a heap several feet away.

Karla the older kid across the street told my brother the hair on his arms was actually feathers and that he could fly so he jumped off everything till it hurt...lol

My word ! You surely had a guardian angel with you, or you would have been killed !

I thought I had done some pretty stupid things when I was young, but they were mild compared with these stories.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM

When I was nine, I was sleigh riding with friends on a mountain in NY, it had a narrow path that twisted through the trees from the top of the mountain to the neighborhood below, one particular turn made an abrupt left but I was sure I could make it if I cut it early but I took the tree head on. I don't really remember anything after I knew I wasn't going to make it. I walked home I was told, and my Mom must have cleaned me up, I took a nap and when I woke up I asked how I got home. I was hospitalized for three weeks followed by three weeks at my grandparents for quiet time. the sled was in a box when I got home, crumpled metal and splintered wood. Fractured skull with some swelling on the brain. I remember the speed off the mountain was unbelievable, getting airborn at times and everything rushing by me almost like a video game...lol

I honestly wondered at times if I could be killed.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
When I was 14 (late '60s) and living in MD, my friend Bob and I raked up the leaves in his yard and decided to burn them (back when you could do such a thing...) Anyway, we figured we needed some fuel to get them started. So Bob grabs a can of camping lantern fuel from the garage. We had no idea how much to use. We put on a LIBERAL amount and, standing very close to the pile, dropped a lit match. To this day, I'm amazed that we were lucky enough to not set our clothes on fire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics